Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic Trade Partners

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Realistic Trade Partners

As the trade deadline approaches, the "sellers" and "buyers" have emerged. The Braves are clearly sellers, so here's a breakdown of the most valuable trade chips they are likely to unload at the deadline (with their projected production and surplus values for the rest of contractual control as of the trading deadline):

Phillips - .700-.750 OPS, minimal salary remaining, ~1 WAR RoS plus everyday ABs in playoffs....surplus value of ~$10M.

Garcia - ~4.0 FIP, $3M salary remaining, < 1 WAR RoS, no projected playoff starts...surplus value ~$5M.

Adams - .750-.800 OPS, $1M salary remaining, < 1 WAR RoS plus postseason ABs, controlled for 2018 at $3.5M-$4M...surplus value ~$5M+.

Viz/JJ - decent setup arms that will see some high leverage postseason innings...surplus value in the $5M range each.

The idea is to find teams that need 2-3 of these players in hopes of getting a legit high 45/low-50 FV type prospect. Only teams with very high chances of reaching the playoffs will likely be willing to pay that type of price to upgrade the roster. This post is not concerned with 40 FV guys in exchange for 1 of these trade pieces, so this post is limited to the teams with a 25%+ chance of making the playoffs per FG: Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Indians, Astros, Nats, Cubs, Rockies, Dodgers, DBacks.

We will look at each team's production at the relevant positions (2B, 1B, and DH), assume only teams needing a backend SP will want Garcia, and also assume all teams will be looking to add a BP arm.

Yankees - 2B: 870 OPS, 1B .653 OPS, DH: .890 OPS, back-end SP?: Yes, they are in a dog fight in the AL East.

Matches with the Braves: Adams, Garcia, and a BP arm.

Favorite realistic target: Miguel Andujar - 3B, AA, 45 FV, #11 in their system.

Red Sox - 2B: .699 (Pedrioa), 1B: .832, DH: .761, back end SP?: Yes, they are in a dog fight in the AL East.

Matches: Garcia and BP arm.

Favorite realistic target: Nothing realistic, most likely to be some FV 40 filler for a single piece.

Blue Jays - 2B: .692, 1B: .923, DH: .799, back end SP?: Yes, they are in a dog fight in the AL East.

Favorite realistic target: Nothing realistic, most likely to be some FV 40 filler for a single piece.

Indians - 2B: .767, 1B: 710, DH: .925, back end SP?: No, they are very likely to make the postseason and don't need a back-end guy

Matches: maybe Adams and a BP arm.

Astros - 2B: .969, 1B: .819, DH: .769, back end SP?: No, they are very likely to make the postseason and don't need a back-end guy

Matches: None, they have an elite BP already.

Nats - 2B: .913, 1B: .985, back end SP?: No, they are very likely to make the postseason and don't need a back-end guy

Matches: BP arm.

Cubs - 2B: .746, 1B: .908, back end SP?: Yes, they are in a dogfight in the NL Central

Matches: Garcia, BP arm.

Rockies - 2B: .743, 1B .959, beck-end SP?: Yes, they are in a dogfight in the NL West

See Cubs.

Dodgers - 2B: .846, 1B: .800, beck-end SP?: Yes, they are in a dogfight in the NL West

See Cubs.

DBacks - 2B: .838, 1B: Goldschmidt, beck-end SP?: Yes, they are in a dogfight in the NL West

See Cubs.

Conclusion - The lack of suitors for Phillips is likely why the Braves got him for literally nothing. The only real chance the Braves have at getting a legit prospect is from a team that wants both Adams, Garcia and a BP arm. The only team that fits that description is the Yankees, and I would like to see them target Adujar as the return.

Other than that one potential trade, I don't see any moves happening that impact the Braves system.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

dak (06-19-2017), JohnAdcox (06-19-2017), jpx7 (06-19-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I don't know if we would trade JJ within the division but the Nats would be all over him or Viz bc their bullpen is terrible.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I still think the Mariners might be interested in Adams. Twins need pitching, so Garcia could be a fit there. Neither of those teams is brimming with prospects, but there may be a projectible piece.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-19-2017)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    First, excellent work, and bravo for the effort.

Second, if the trade return is "nothing realistic, most likely to be some FV 40 filler for a single piece," why bother? I'm not saying it's Yankees or bust, but....

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post

Second, if the trade return is "nothing realistic, most likely to be some FV 40 filler for a single piece," why bother? I'm not saying it's Yankees or bust, but....
    That's why I didn't bother listing potential returns for those teams. Quite frankly, some random 40 FV guy isn't even worth having much of a discussion about.

The Braves need to partner up with a contender that needs 2 from the group of Adams/Phillips/Garcia plus a BP arm to drive the value required to net a legit prospect. I went through all the legit contenders, and the only team that needed enough of the parts the Braves are selling to give up a legit prospect was the Yankees. I didn't know beforehand that no other teams needed multiple parts the Braves could provide (I literally wrote the post as I dug up the info...Yanks were first because AL East was first on the list in the standings).

I was pretty surprised to see that no contenders need Phillips. That's a bummer because he is likely the most valuable trade chip due to his production and extremely low salary.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-19-2017 at 05:56 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-19-2017)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post

This! I guarantee there's going to be some desperate team that gives up that 50 FV prospect for one of our pieces.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I still think the Mariners might be interested in Adams. Twins need pitching, so Garcia could be a fit there. Neither of those teams is brimming with prospects, but there may be a projectible piece.
    All the Mariners decent "prospects" are at the MLB level, and teams that fancy themselves contenders don't trade value away from their MLB roster.

The Twins do have an interesting AAA catcher named Mitch Garver.

If they think they can keep up with the Indians they might want Garcia, as you suggested. They have no need at 2B (.750), 1B (.785) or DH (.742 OPS) unfortunately. There is no way Garcia plus a BP arm is going to get the Braves a prospect like Garver.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    This! I guarantee there's going to be some desperate team that gives up that 50 FV prospect for one of our pieces.
    You think there is a contender that will give up a prospect the equivalent of Soroka, Pache, Newk or Wentz? Those are 50 FV prospects.

Which contender would do that for any one piece the Braves will be selling?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    The return could well be something injured like fried, something out of favor, something that is spare (like an OF in Colorado or Milwaukee), or something far away and protectable. Failing that high leverage bullpen prospects might work.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You think there is a contender that will give up a prospect the equivalent of Soroka, Pache, Newk or Wentz? Those are 50 FV prospects.

Something like Pache or Acuna this time last year?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Something like Pache or Acuna this time last year?
    For one piece the Braves are trading?

Highly unlikely is putting it nicely haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    As the trade deadline approaches, the "sellers" and "buyers" have emerged. The Braves are clearly sellers, so here's a breakdown of the most valuable trade chips they are likely to unload at the deadline (with their projected production and surplus values for the rest of contractual control as of the trading deadline):

Phillips - .700-.750 OPS, minimal salary remaining, ~1 WAR RoS plus everyday ABs in playoffs....surplus value of ~$10M.

Garcia - ~4.0 FIP, $3M salary remaining, < 1 WAR RoS, no projected playoff starts...surplus value ~$5M.

Adams - .750-.800 OPS, $1M salary remaining, < 1 WAR RoS plus postseason ABs, controlled for 2018 at $3.5M-$4M...surplus value ~$5M+.

Viz/JJ - decent setup arms that will see some high leverage postseason innings...surplus value in the $5M range each.

The idea is to find teams that need 2-3 of these players in hopes of getting a legit high 45/low-50 FV type prospect. Only teams with very high chances of reaching the playoffs will likely be willing to pay that type of price to upgrade the roster. This post is not concerned with 40 FV guys in exchange for 1 of these trade pieces, so this post is limited to the teams with a 25%+ chance of making the playoffs per FG: Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Indians, Astros, Nats, Cubs, Rockies, Dodgers, DBacks.

We will look at each team's production at the relevant positions (2B, 1B, and DH), assume only teams needing a backend SP will want Garcia, and also assume all teams will be looking to add a BP arm.

Yankees - 2B: 870 OPS, 1B .653 OPS, DH: .890 OPS, back-end SP?: Yes, they are in a dog fight in the AL East.

Matches with the Braves: Adams, Garcia, and a BP arm.

Favorite realistic target: Miguel Andujar - 3B, AA, 45 FV, #11 in their system.

Red Sox - 2B: .699 (Pedrioa), 1B: .832, DH: .761, back end SP?: Yes, they are in a dog fight in the AL East.

Blue Jays - 2B: .692, 1B: .923, DH: .799, back end SP?: Yes, they are in a dog fight in the AL East.

Indians - 2B: .767, 1B: 710, DH: .925, back end SP?: No, they are very likely to make the postseason and don't need a back-end guy

Matches: maybe Adams and a BP arm.

Astros - 2B: .969, 1B: .819, DH: .769, back end SP?: No, they are very likely to make the postseason and don't need a back-end guy

Matches: None, they have an elite BP already.

Nats - 2B: .913, 1B: .985, back end SP?: No, they are very likely to make the postseason and don't need a back-end guy

Matches: BP arm.

Cubs - 2B: .746, 1B: .908, back end SP?: Yes, they are in a dogfight in the NL Central

Matches: Garcia, BP arm.

Rockies - 2B: .743, 1B .959, beck-end SP?: Yes, they are in a dogfight in the NL West

See Cubs.

Dodgers - 2B: .846, 1B: .800, beck-end SP?: Yes, they are in a dogfight in the NL West

See Cubs.

DBacks - 2B: .838, 1B: Goldschmidt, beck-end SP?: Yes, they are in a dogfight in the NL West

See Cubs.

Conclusion - The lack of suitors for Phillips is likely why the Braves got him for literally nothing. The only real chance the Braves have at getting a legit prospect is from a team that wants both Adams, Garcia and a BP arm. The only team that fits that description is the Yankees, and I would like to see them target Adujar as the return.

Other than that one potential trade, I don't see any moves happening that impact the Braves system.
    Would love to pick up Andujar but I think Garcia, Adams, and a BP guy would bring back more. Not much more but that fills a ton of the Yankees needs to give them a big boost. Not sure what else or what other prospect thought.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-19-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    For one piece the Braves are trading?

Highly unlikely is putting it nicely haha.
    Acuna was what a 45 last year? Not sure.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Why do people here still act as if anybody would want Garcia?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-20-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

I seriously doubt they'd do it for one single piece, but I could see us getting Dustin Fowler from the Yankees for a package of Adams and Garcia/Johnson. But I'd agree with your assertion that the Yankees are the only realistic major trade partners for us, outside of maybe the Astros. I think you are underrating how useful Garcia would be to the Astros given their injury problems with their rotation. Adams would also be an upgrade over Gurriel, though it's hard to say if they are going to move on from that money investment. I would have said their OF Fisher would have been a good 45 FV fit, but now he's up playing LF for them.

On a side note, it really really sucks that Julio lost it at the beginning of this season, the Astros or Yankees would have made amazing trade partners this year if he was pitching even halfway decent.
    Last edited by auyushu; 06-19-2017 at 06:31 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Acuna was what a 45 last year? Not sure.
    Ok then that's 2 folks who think the Braves can flip a single veteran asset into a legit 45/50 guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Why do people here still act as if anybody would want Garcia?
    Well he's been very good for one and has a strong track record outside of injuries... so there's that?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-19-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    I seriously doubt they'd do it for one single piece, but I could see us getting Dustin Fowler from the Yankees for a package of Adams and Garcia/Johnson. But I'd agree with your assertion that the Yankees are the only realistic major trade partners for us, outside of maybe the Astros. I think you are underrating how useful Garcia would be to the Astros given their injury problems with their rotation. Adams would also be an upgrade over Gurriel, though it's hard to say if they are going to move on from that money investment.
    I used to think the Astros matched up well too until I saw how well their 1B and DH positions were doing.

The fact that the Astros are all but assured of winning the division means they don't need an SP that won't make a playoff start for them. I think the Astros target one of the TOR guys: Darvish, Cueto, Archer, Quintana, or Cole if the Pirates decide to sell his last couple years of control.

Nobody is going to acquire Garcia to pitch in the playoffs, so only contenders that need him during the regular season will come calling for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    I used to think the Astros matched up well too until I saw how well their 1B and DH positions were doing.

The fact that the Astros are all but assured of winning the division means they don't need an SP that won't make a playoff start for them. I think the Astros target one of the TOR guys: Darvish, Cueto, Archer, Quintana, or Cole if the Pirates decide to sell his last couple years of control.

Nobody is going to acquire Garcia to pitch in the playoffs, so only contenders that need him during the regular season will come calling for him.
    Astros are using gurriel as primary 1b. His ops is .745... less than ender, Phillips, Markakis, and Suzuki

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Astros are using gurriel as primary 1b. His ops is .745... less than ender, Phillips, Markakis, and Suzuki
    And Adams is projected to OPS around .750-.800 once his HR rate normalizes. Not sure they will be paying much for a minimal upgrade.

Instead of just nitpicking, how about adding to the discussion with your own thought? What do you think the Astros would give up for Adams?