Thread: Freddie to third base??

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    He did say when in his life
    Last edited by jpx7; 06-22-2017 at 06:52 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (06-23-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    I'm sure he did it all the time in high school since that's the position he played you dingus.
    Did he do it well? Do you know that?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Well, to be fair, nobody has suggested anything close to that. We are talking about one situation with one player who has asked to try it. As I have consistently said, it is a longshot... but he seems to think he may be able to do it. If he did, then replacing him at 1B is probably easier than finding a new 3B. Not likely at all, but if it did work out...

I never suggested just putting guys with no experience at premium defensive positions, nor has anyone else.
    He seems to think he can do it. Ok then...

This is all going to work out exactly how anyone would have expected but I feel like some folks are actually preparing for a miracle.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Okay. I am finished commenting on this. I never said it was a good idea.

It was an innocent "what if"

No need to be a bunch of pricks.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'm willing to entertain that Adams might be better. That playing full time has helped him get to a new level. That his new shape is helping him. That he's made some adjustment(s) that is/are sustainable. Maybe he's an 800+ OPS with avg D at 1B. Maybe. I'm not expecting it but it's possible. I get this cheap now and next year. But in no way do I see him a long term piece for us. FF is coming back from a major injury and he should only focus on being healthy and mashing.

If you want both bats in the line up eat 5 million this year and next from Neck and move him.
    May be Adams is our redemption for passing on Big Papi all those years ago.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Well, to be fair, nobody has suggested anything close to that. We are talking about one situation with one player who has asked to try it. As I have consistently said, it is a longshot... but he seems to think he may be able to do it. If he did, then replacing him at 1B is probably easier than finding a new 3B. Not likely at all, but if it did work out...

I never suggested just putting guys with no experience at premium defensive positions, nor has anyone else.
    To me, it's just not even worth talking about. Because there is about a 5% chance of it happening, and the fact that there is even a 5% chance of it happening is pretty depressing because it will be an unquestioned failure if it does.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Okay. I am finished commenting on this. I never said it was a good idea.

It was an innocent "what if"

No need to be a bunch of pricks.
    You expected any less? Must not have been paying much attention to the board recently.

All the people bitching about the experiment are just trying to cover up hurt feelings over things they couldn't do in their own lives.

Honestly, what can it hurt? As others have said, this is more than likely going to be another lost season during a rebuild - and Freeman offered to try something that's liable to embarrass him in front of the world in an effort to help the team win more games. Even the "posi-Braves" don't expect him to be able to handle the position, but trying this isn't likely to make the team WORSE - and it will certainly make it a bit more interesting to watch for a little bit. As Russ2dollas mentions, MAYBE Adams is better than expected - no, of course he's not going to sustain this...but maybe he actually is better than just a platoon guy and bench bat. He's never had the chance to play every day before, but he's obviously better than the Cardinals (or the rest of the world apparently) thought. Sure it's a hot streak, but no one seems to be able to explain why it's apparently the longest hot streak of his career. It wasn't so long ago that most people here were complaining that Freddie was never going to hit for big-time power - they just don't admit they ever said such.

Those of us who are interested to see Freeman try the switch aren't filled with thoughts that he's going to be even close to average defensively over there - and there hasn't been ONE person say they even dream he could be. The thing is, if he's able to provide more offense than what he lets in with his defense (just like Kemp, Gattis, and way back to even Klesko) the team will probably be a little tougher to beat. Will it make them a playoff contender? Not unless he's way better over there than anyone dreams, but what difference does that make? People around here have bitched for years now about the lack of offense - if Adams can be 75% as productive as he's been so far and Freddie's not an absolute sieve defensively, a Freeman, Kemp, Adams, Flowers, Markakis middle of the lineup will be a *ell of a lot better than what we've had in quite some time, and should be pretty fun to watch.

At the very least, having both of those lefty bats in the lineup when the team's at home with the short porch in right will keep everyone from changing the channel every time the Pitchers give up a couple of early runs. Until the pitching gets better, it's tough to ask for much more. When Freddie shows that he can't play over there after a month or IF Seattle or the Yankees decide that Adams could be an important piece in their playoff runs you put everybody back where they belong. Until that time, just try to outscore everybody.

With all the talk over the last couple years about the NL eventually adopting the DH, maybe that happens this winter and you keep Adams, move Freddie back, and finally go get a real 3B.
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-23-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    To me, it's just not even worth talking about. Because there is about a 5% chance of it happening, and the fact that there is even a 5% chance of it happening is pretty depressing because it will be an unquestioned failure if it does.
    Well then.

I guess we all just have to hope that you are as right about this scenario as you were in your analysis of the Matt Adams trade.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Well then.

I guess we all just have to hope that you are as right about this scenario as you were in your analysis of the Matt Adams trade.
    Ha, touche. I guess it depends on which part I'm wrong about. The unquestioned failure part, I hope I'm wrong about. The 5% chance of it actually happening, I hope I'm not wrong on, unless that % is actually lower.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    All the people bitching about the experiment are just trying to cover up hurt feelings over things they couldn't do in their own lives.
    Projecting much?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I suppose this will test the defensive positioning scale a bit if it happens for a decent amount of time. Since the start of 2015 Freeman has played 2600+ innings at 1B which is right under 2 full years of data. He has saved +14 (drs) in the field over that time frame which comes out to around 7-8 per full season. There is a 15 run positional difference between 1B and 3B. So if Freeman is a true +7 run defender at 1B then he should be around -8 or so at 3B. So that will be something interesting to keep track of if this really happens. And if that's the case then it's going to be a positive move as even with regression from Adams.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-23-2017), jpx7 (06-23-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I suppose this will test the defensive positioning scale a bit if it happens for a decent amount of time. Since the start of 2015 Freeman has played 2600+ innings at 1B which is right under 2 full years of data. He has saved +14 (drs) in the field over that time frame which comes out to around 7-8 per full season. There is a 15 run positional difference between 1B and 3B. So if Freeman is a true +7 run defender at 1B then he should be around -8 or so at 3B. So that will be something interesting to keep track of if this really happens. And if that's the case then it's going to be a positive move as even with regression from Adams.
    Pujols and Miggy have already shown the 15 run differential to be about accurate.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Pujols and Miggy have already shown the 15 run differential to be about accurate.
    Going from 3rd to 1st. You just rarely see it the other way.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Projecting much?
    Yeah, that got bizarrely existential.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Going from 3rd to 1st. You just rarely see it the other way.
    Miggy went from 3B to 1B to 3B to 1B. He showed a pretty consistently enormous delta in UZR/150.

Whether the guy goes from 1B to 3B or the other way around, we still see the relative difference in how well they handle the 2 positions.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Yeah, that got bizarrely existential.
    clv gonna clv

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Funny thing during an interview on XM an hour ago - Mozeliak told Bowden and Duquette that "if we'd known that Matt Adams was this good, Matt Carpenter would still be our third baseman".
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Funny thing during an interview on XM an hour ago - Mozeliak told Bowden and Duquette that "if we'd known that Matt Adams was this good, Matt Carpenter would still be our third baseman".
    Really? Then why not trade to get him back?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    This thread is supremely weird and (for this place, anyway) unpredictable. I like it.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-23-2017), jpx7 (06-23-2017), Prikichi (06-28-2017)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Really? Then why not trade to get him back?
    We don't like Yepez, apparently.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-23-2017), jpx7 (06-23-2017)