Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie to third base??

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    And damn it, tell me I'm stupid if you need to, but please tell me who adds the sweetener in a Manny Machado and his one remaining year of control for Freddie Freeman trade.

This is intriguing nonsense that needs to be debated.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    lol I literally said Flowers has made legit improvements. Adams hasn't. That's the difference.

Derp along tho bud.
    Again taking the one part and twisting it.

How do you know that he hasn't done something? Honestly. Flowers has the leg kick that is noticeable. But you didn't know Flowers changed anything until you could go back and see a year of better K and BB rates. You didn't know Bautista was another player until you go back.

We had a lot of debate about SRod when he signed. Some said he was a better player based on a leg kick and some other changes to his swing and approach. Other said it was an outlier year. You seem to be the only person who claims to know.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    And damn it, tell me I'm stupid if you need to, but please tell me who adds the sweetener in a Manny Machado and his one remaining year of control for Freddie Freeman trade.

This is intriguing nonsense that needs to be debated.
    Coppy wouldn't trade FF w/o several pounds of sweetener and blowey.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Board: I don't know if I should follow my Dad and be a cooper.
    Enscheff: My data says barrels have always been needed. The avg barrel per year is X and it will return to the mean.
    Board: I think there are more options for shipping...
    Enscheff: You are an idiot. Things always go back the way they were.

Board: Chris Johnson really has a high batting avg
    Enscheff: No he will regress to the mean. He'll suck.
    Board: That is not how stats work. He will go back toward his true talent level but there is nothing that says he'll go back this year.
    Enscheff: IT WILL HAPPEN. I SAY SO. You are all IDIOTS.
    First, what's a cooper?

Second, are you seriously trying to argue CJ was a good hitter and he didn't come crashing back to earth the season after his crazy BABIP season?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    So now they say Freddie plans to return right after the all star game??

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    this was FF idea.

say what you want. But he is a team leader.. Do whatever it takes to keep the best lineup out there.

btw.. that giant sigh everyone just heard.. that was all our 3B prospects saying 'well ****' under their collective breathes..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Runnin (06-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    this was FF idea.

say what you want. But he is a team leader.. Do whatever it takes to keep the best lineup out there.

btw.. that giant sigh everyone just heard.. that was all our 3B prospects saying 'well ****' under their collective breathes..
    FF just doesn't realize how dangerous playing 3b is. On world's most dangerous jobs, it's #3.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (06-21-2017), Prikichi (06-28-2017), Southcack77 (06-21-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Enscheff: You are going on high percentage stats. You have a very good chance of being right, but you also have a chance to be wrong...yet you speak in absolutes. There is a high chance you could be absolutely right. There is also a chance that your data doesn't support "x" variables like the weight loss, change of teams, and any other general adjustments he has made that we don't know anything about.

Sometimes players click...not usually (as in a 90% clip), but every once in a while(10 % tops).

This is one thing I know. Adams is as big as a house, and if he has "figured it out", be it through wieght loss or whatever...he has the size to be a way above average power hitter.

One other thing all of us might need to realize. This whole thing is PROBABLY Freddie's idea. Don't think the front office would come ask him to do this. If I'm a betting man (I'm not), Freddie brought this up...btw...he is an elite player and if you don't think he can figure out enough to play at least an adequate 3rd base...you might be surprised. I would never suggest he make the move, but it's certainly not because I don't think he could do "ok" over there.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    This probably isn't going to work, but I'm all for trying it. Kudos to Freddie for pushing for it. True sign of a team leader. Having Kemp and Freddie on the left side of the diamond is going to make the game day threads quite entertaining

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    @KevinMcAlpin
    Freeman says the decision to move to third base was his idea. Added he could be cleared to swing a bat as early as Friday. #Braves

@mlbbowman
    Freeman: "My mindset is to return as a third baseman."

@KevinMcAlpin
    Freeman says he mentioned the idea a couple weeks ago. Met with John Hart, Coppy & Snit yesterday to tell them he's "completely onboard"

@KevinMcAlpin
    Freeman: "I'm confident, going in with a positive attitude. We've got to keep the best lineup out there" #Braves

@DOBrienAJC
    #Braves' Freeman aiming to return for Nationals series right before All-Star break, others aiming for him to return 1st game after break

@KevinMcAlpin
    Freeman: "I'll do anything to help this team win. Me moving to third, if that's what it is, I'll do it" #Braves

@grantmcauley
    #Braves Matt Adams on Freddie Freeman offering to change positions for him: "It just speaks to what kind of guy he is."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    I agree that this probably isn't going to work but I'm not going to put anything past Freddie. He should have the arm and reactions for third. Whether he has the range is another question.

That being said, if he were to become an average defensive third baseman then his value actually skyrockets. That kind of a bat at third is far rarer than that kind of a bat at first.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,320 Posts
    I hate to sound like a Debbie Downer but I don't see how this works. If Freddie had elite range at first there might be a chance but he doesn't. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    1. this makes me love Freeman that much more

2. The Braves are NUTS to consider this

What happens when (if) Adams comes back to earth? How long do we do this?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    My two-cents: this is a terrible idea, and I hope it is a smokescreen for leverage in dealing Matt Adams. Either that, or the team really wants to help Freeman achieve his dream of being the next Chipper Jones. And speaking of that guy Chipper: I didn't like when he moved to LF for an inferior 3B, and I don't like Freeman moving to 3B for an inferior 1B—especially for a team that is unlikely to be competitive this year either way.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,320 Posts
    Looking at Miggy's stats Freddie does have better range than he does at first. He might play 3rd better than Miggy (which isn't saying much).

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    So this went from being kind of a joke to being really serious very quickly.

I have doubts that Freeman can pick up the position in a month, but kudos for him for trying.

I don't get the whole dangerous thing...why is playing 3rd that more dangerous than playing first. I can see it be slightly more dangerous, but the only real difference is having to make the throw, and people potentially sliding into you. First basemen's still have to charge slow rollers and bunts so there is no difference there. Also I played both when I played baseball, and I didn't notice much difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    So this went from being kind of a joke to being really serious very quickly.

I have doubts that Freeman can pick up the position in a month, but kudos for him for trying.

I don't get the whole dangerous thing...why is playing 3rd that more dangerous than playing first. I can see it be slightly more dangerous, but the only real difference is having to make the throw, and people potentially sliding into you. First basemen's still have to charge slow rollers and bunts so there is no difference there. Also I played both when I played baseball, and I didn't notice much difference.
    Yeah, first base is just as dangerous. At third you usually don't have throws leading you into the runner or have to win foot races to the bag where there can easily be a collision. There are different risks at each position but the risks are similar.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    My two-cents: this is a terrible idea, and I hope it is a smokescreen for leverage in dealing Matt Adams. Either that, or the team really wants to help Freeman achieve his dream of being the next Chipper Jones. And speaking of that guy Chipper: I didn't like when he moved to LF for an inferior 3B, and I don't like Freeman moving to 3B for an inferior 1B—especially for a team that is unlikely to be competitive this year either way.
    Castilla was a lot better with the glove than Chipper at the time.

Castilla really replaced BJ Surhoff in lineup.

In the great Braves free agent tradition, he was pretty wretched his first season with the bat. Had better luck the following season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    That being said, if he were to become an average defensive third baseman then his value actually skyrockets. That kind of a bat at third is far rarer than that kind of a bat at first.
    Of course. But if there was any chance of that, it is highly doubtful he ever would have been moved to 1B.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Castilla was a lot better with the glove than Chipper at the time.

Castilla really replaced BJ Surhoff in lineup.

In the great Braves free agent tradition, he was pretty wretched his first season with the bat. Had better luck the following season.
    But Castilla was a worse player overall, even when his bat rebounded after his abysmal first season.

I maintain that I don't like moving your team's best player off his best position for an inferior player, no matter who you want to say that inferior player "actually replaced in the lineup".
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."