Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie to third base??

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Can't the Braves just go head and trade some pitching for Longoria this offseason? Depending on how harshly you want to apply the aging curve, he should have a surplus value in the $15M range, and a Top 75-100 pitcher would be almost exactly even value.

Seems like a much better plan than this silliness.
    we don't know what the asking price for Longoria is.

IF this somehow works out then it should be much easier to upgrade the team at 1B or LF (If Kemp goes to 1B) than 3B. That would be a good thing.

I just don't see it. I think I'd rather start Demerritte's clock with his 323 OBP in AA than do this. I would play Rio and Comargo and see if Rio snaps out of his funk into at least a platoon bat.

These decisions just don't make sense. IF we are trying to get every last pathetic win out of this year then why is Colon still on the team? Why did we keep Bonifacio around? If we are going to trade Garcia et al like we should then why are we doing this stupid experiment?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    This is stupid...the only difference between fielding a bunt as third as compared to first is the throw, and Freddie does have a good arm. It will be funny though if he fields a bunt and then turns to third to make the throw.

I'm sure someone will test it, but as long as he has the arm it won't keep happening.
    Very few players drop bunts down the 1B line.

I would definitely be trying it with Freeman at 3B and Matt Adams at 1B.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-22-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    This is stupid...the only difference between fielding a bunt as third as compared to first is the throw, and Freddie does have a good arm. It will be funny though if he fields a bunt and then turns to third to make the throw.

I'm sure someone will test it, but as long as he has the arm it won't keep happening.
    When in Freddie's life has he had to make a barehanded play on a roller, which is a basic staple of a third baseman's life?. Further, the ability to make that play isn't simply throwing the ball - it's anticipating, moving quickly, throwing the ball without coming set, etc.

Freddie has never had to any of those things. He couldn't very well be good at them, but I don't see how you could make that proclamation based off anything you've seen of him.

Fielding a bunt is easy. Everyone on this board could do that. The hard part is everything else.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-22-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I didn't say he will get injured.

I said he's coming back from an injury.
    Yeah, sorry, I just meant in relation to pitchers wanting to throw 200 pitches. That ups injury chances.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I just don't see it. I think I'd rather start Demerritte's clock with his 323 OBP in AA than do this. I would play Rio and Comargo and see if Rio snaps out of his funk into at least a platoon bat.
    I think TD would be a disaster right now on offense, but I'd actually be willing to try that instead, too. He should at least be good to great defensively.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    we don't know what the asking price for Longoria is.

IF this somehow works out then it should be much easier to upgrade the team at 1B or LF (If Kemp goes to 1B) than 3B. That would be a good thing.

These decisions just don't make sense. IF we are trying to get every last pathetic win out of this year then why is Colon still on the team? Why did we keep Bonifacio around? If we are going to trade Garcia et al like we should then why are we doing this stupid experiment?
    I don't think this is a decision about the replacement level production at third base. I think its about keeping Matt Adams hot bat in the lineup right now. I think what you are seeing is the team expressing a desire to win games now. I wouldn't think this is something with much chance of being a long term solution.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I'm hoping the team is just seeing if they can go on a little run with both these bats in the lineup. If they do, I really hope they don't start buying. If Freddie was adamant about trying this, I'm not sure I would want to be the one to tell him no.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't think this is a decision about the replacement level production at third base. I think its about keeping Matt Adams hot bat in the lineup right now. I think what you are seeing is the team expressing a desire to win games now. I wouldn't think this is something with much chance of being a long term solution.
    I think you are correct... However, there is probably a thought in the back of his/their mind that if it somehow worked out, they would have a lot more options for the future. A longshot to be sure... but what if????

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I think you are correct... However, there is probably a thought in the back of his/their mind that if it somehow worked out, they would have a lot more options for the future. A longshot to be sure... but what if????
    What if Alex Jackson could play CF?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Probably just as long of a shot... but i am not seeing your point? Would that provide more options for the future?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If FF plays one pitch at 3B for Matt Adams then I want Matt Adams to sign a 10 year extension with each year a team option for no more than 5 million per year.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (06-23-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'm willing to entertain that Adams might be better. That playing full time has helped him get to a new level. That his new shape is helping him. That he's made some adjustment(s) that is/are sustainable. Maybe he's an 800+ OPS with avg D at 1B. Maybe. I'm not expecting it but it's possible. I get this cheap now and next year. But in no way do I see him a long term piece for us. FF is coming back from a major injury and he should only focus on being healthy and mashing.

If you want both bats in the line up eat 5 million this year and next from Neck and move him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Probably closer to trying Jackson at catcher again

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    When in Freddie's life has he had to make a barehanded play on a roller, which is a basic staple of a third baseman's life?. Further, the ability to make that play isn't simply throwing the ball - it's anticipating, moving quickly, throwing the ball without coming set, etc.

Freddie has never had to any of those things. He couldn't very well be good at them, but I don't see how you could make that proclamation based off anything you've seen of him.

Fielding a bunt is easy. Everyone on this board could do that. The hard part is everything else.
    I'm sure he did it all the time in high school since that's the position he played you dingus.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I'm sure he did it all the time in high school since that's the position he played you dingus.
    Little different at the major-league level after a decade of not doing it—but I appreciate the use of "dingus".
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Yeah, I'm sure playing 3B in HS has adequately prepared him to play it at the MLB level.

Derrrrrpppp!!!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Probably just as long of a shot... but i am not seeing your point? Would that provide more options for the future?
    Of course. So why not just start throwing guys at more premium positions that they have about a 0% chance of playing well? Because after all, if they can do it, everything is awesome.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Of course. So why not just start throwing guys at more premium positions that they have about a 0% chance of playing well? Because after all, if they can do it, everything is awesome.
    Well, to be fair, nobody has suggested anything close to that. We are talking about one situation with one player who has asked to try it. As I have consistently said, it is a longshot... but he seems to think he may be able to do it. If he did, then replacing him at 1B is probably easier than finding a new 3B. Not likely at all, but if it did work out...

I never suggested just putting guys with no experience at premium defensive positions, nor has anyone else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    There was that playoff game we played against the Giants w one-legged Troy Glaus at 3b and Derrek Lee @ 1b. That game took years off my life.
    Forgot about Derrek Lee!

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Little different at the major-league level after a decade of not doing it—but I appreciate the use of "dingus".
    He did say when in his life