Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 6/21 gigantes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    People are too concerned with being "right" to a bunch of internet strangers. I'm enjoying the team exceeding my expectations right now. I don't care if it's "just the Giants, bro." I want to see them win games. I'm not sure others agree with that sentiment.
    If we win today, the braves will be 4-1-1 in June series.

ETA... you right about being right. I'd rather the braves win or a player exceed expectations than be right when no one in here could pick me out of a lineup
    Last edited by msstate7; 06-22-2017 at 07:28 AM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6823

"Seth Beer here we come!" -- thewupk after FF went down. We've played .500 baseball since. Really hard to nail down your predictions when they change
    What predictions have I made that I have changed? Surely you aren't going to take a post I made seriously in a thread about our best player being shelved for two months? I stated it in spring training that this looked like like a mid to high 70's win team and that's what they have done to this point.

Braves have had a losing record in April and May. They are doing well in June so far but let's be honest with ourselves. They are only playing 2 teams with a winning record this month. July is not going to be that kind. Only 6 games against teams below .500. If they come out of July with a .500 record I will be very impressed.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Feels like? The fan base became divided the second heyward was traded.
    I think it was divided when people thought Francouer was good

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    If we win today, the braves will be 4-1-1 in June series.

ETA... you right about being right. I'd rather the braves win or a player exceed expectations than be right when no one in here could pick me out of a lineup
    Wouldn't you rather them meet your expectations so we can get Seth Beer?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    The team is really fun to watch. Very much like the end of last year the team just looks like they are having a good time.

Yes there are some who seem less excited about the team playing above their heads right now. instead of just enjoying it, it is more fun for them to explain how it can't last. But why let that bring down your fun.. just have a good time with them and it will be alright. This team is exponentially more fun than any team that I can remember since 2012 and probably longer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Wouldn't you rather them meet your expectations so we can get Seth Beer?
    I want to win every game we can win. Our farm has a ton of talent and I want our core (Swanson, FF, Teheran, Newcomb, and inciarte) to start having success. And there's no way I'd take seth beer #1 if we had the #1 pick

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    I want to win every game we can win. Our farm has a ton of talent and I want our core (Swanson, FF, Teheran, Newcomb, and inciarte) to start having success. And there's no way I'd take seth beer #1 if we had the #1 pick
    Beer would be a good replacement for Kemp

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    I was always a fan of losing for the best draft possible. But the team play that happened at the end of last year changed me. Sorry to all those others that didn't like it.. I guess the fan in me still burned strong and I actually just sat and enjoyed the play without trying to be a GM or Pres of operations. I think sometimes people forget who they are.. I am just a fan..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    He certainly could. For some reason I just don't think he's gonna be that great though. Really wish Dustin Peterson would pick up where he left off last year. Inciarte, acuna, and that D-Pete could be a nice outfield. If he doesn't pan out though, surely we can find another slugger type like KEMvP to throw in LF

10. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

chopdrew (06-22-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    If I completely detach myself from the team, I can hope they lose for draft picks. When I'm watching them, and specifically watching young guys play, I can't root for anything but success. We got Wright at 5. Allard at 14. Soroka at 28. We can draft well no matter where we are.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    He certainly could. For some reason I just don't think he's gonna be that great though. Really wish Dustin Peterson would pick up where he left off last year. Inciarte, acuna, and that D-Pete could be a nice outfield. If he doesn't pan out though, surely we can find another slugger type like KEMvP to throw in LF
    I think his bat is going to play in a big way. But he is going to be a poor defender in left and maybe below avg at 1st? With that being said maybe the Braves are already planning on targeting Beer and that's the real reason for Freeman toying with the idea of playing 3rd.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    If I completely detach myself from the team, I can hope they lose for draft picks. When I'm watching them, and specifically watching young guys play, I can't root for anything but success. We got Wright at 5. Allard at 14. Soroka at 28. We can draft well no matter where we are.
    The Braves have drafted well the last few years but there is a noticeable difference in available talent at the top of the 1st round compared to the middle and end of the 1st round.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    That kid's gonna get a restraining order against you. Jeez.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    The Braves have drafted well the last few years but there is a noticeable difference in available talent at the top of the 1st round compared to the middle and end of the 1st round.
    Yeah. If only we could've drafted Dillon Tate or Tyler Jay instead of Soroka.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    As screwed up as the MLB draft is...you "most of the time" don't draft for BPA anyway. If we had the second pick (like all of us were hoping)...we most likely would have would have drafted the same guy and paid him the same amount (although we would have had more cash). I'm caring less and less about our position.

1. We usually go as our pitching goes. When they pitch decent...we will win many series. Can they keep it up...?

2. We have played a week schedule. We will continue to pretty much have a weak schudule until the All Star break and then it gets MUCH tougher. We "could" flirt with .500 by then, but that's as close as we will get.

3. You guys better HOPE we don't inch closer to .500 or above before the trade deadline. You better HOPE we don't over achieve. Why? Coppy will not trade ONE dang vet if he thinks we have a chance, and he will also probably make a bad trade giving up some of the farm in hopes of making the playoffs this year. Remember....he makes his WORSE trades when he is trying to force things. We very much need to sell the vets and bullpen arms we can unload.

4. I've said before this team has talent, and it will go thru streaks of winning. Their problem is in consistency. My worry at the beginning of the year was this team could win just enough to make Coppy a buyer and not a seller. We are not ready for the playoffs. We can't win consistently against good teams yet, although we are trending in the right way.

5. This does give me hope for next year, but I still see the same team, with a starting staff now overachieving. They were pitching under their ability and now they have completely switched. Once they normalize, we will not be winning every series, and that's ok...that's what really needs to happen.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Yeah. If only we could've drafted Dillon Tate or Tyler Jay instead of Soroka.
    Do you think the Braves would have drafted either or those players if they were in that spot? I mean they are the gods of drafting after all.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Do you think the Braves would have drafted either or those players if they were in that spot? I mean they are the gods of drafting after all.
    Probably not. And when they didn't, the screaming about not drafting BPA would've been amusing.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Good start by Newcomb... but I wanna start seeing some K's!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Probably not. And when they didn't, the screaming about not drafting BPA would've been amusing.
    I didn't know either of those were BPA

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    The Braves are improved, but they have had the easiest schedule in the bigs so far. Strength of schedule rankings:

30. Atlanta
    29. Washington
    28. New York Mets
    27. Cincinnati Reds
    26. Miami Marlins
    25. Chicago Cubs

I also find it interesting at how it seemed like the Braves have been on the road for forever. They have finally caught up. They have now played 1 more home game than road game.