Thread: Fútbol Discusión

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Pep will move to Arsenal when Wenger hangs up the coat.

He is Arsene's handpicked successor and just going to Man City to get some experience.
    Forever Fredi

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Pep will move to Arsenal when Wenger hangs up the coat.

He is Arsene's handpicked successor and just going to Man City to get some experience.
    Possible, but I don't see Pep as the type to sit at one organization for too long.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I wonder why Zito hasn't been **** talking Tottenham>
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    If Mourinho goes to United, arguably the 4 best managers in the world will be coaching the big 4 in England (Wenger, Klopp, Pep, Mourinho).
    Forever Fredi

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    If Mourinho goes to United, arguably the 4 best managers in the world will be coaching the big 4 in England (Wenger, Klopp, Pep, Mourinho).
    WHy did you forget Pochenttino?

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    WHy did you forget Pochenttino?
    Lol.
    Forever Fredi

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Lol.
    Check the table.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Check the table.
    Yeah, that's cool West Ham and Southampton have been near the top of the table also at one point the last few years. Doesn't mean they have elite managers.

It's embarassing you'd mention Pochenttino in the same breathe as even Pep, Mourinho, and Wenger.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I wonder why Zito hasn't been **** talking Tottenham>
    They're sucking less than the rest of the league. WOOOOO.

THey still are a mediocre team. In a year where Leicester is winning the league 2/3 of the way in, I wouldn't judge anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    False, Jurgen Klinsmann is coaching the USMNT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    It's embarassing you'd mention Pochenttino in the same breathe as even Pep, Mourinho, and Wenger.
    On a serious note, maybe Pochettino could get to their level. Those guys started somewhere too. But yeah, it's asinine to compare him to people who've won titles. That's a plural statement. With the giant of the game (Fergie) retiring it opened the door for the next. Wenger never made the jump and was passed by Pep and Mourinho who've had much bigger successes (on much bigger budgets of course) domestically and in Europe.

But I'll say this, I think Simione and Luis Enrique are in the conversation. Probably ahead of Klopp and Wenger. Don't get me wrong, Klopp is awesome and I love him, and Wenger is a legend, but this was Arsenal's year, and Wenger hasn't been able to capitalize on it. To me Klopp's strength was taking an under cost side and having them become massive successes and groomign talents like Hummels and Gotze. His failures were never fully takign that next step. He was able to ruffle feathers in the 10-11 and 11-12 seasons, then Bayern got serious and have rolled since then. Though if he can return Liverpool to being a top team he's truly a great coach. They're a team with the money to be top, but just can't get **** together at all.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Show me a winning team Mourinho built and didn't buy.

Same for Pep.

Wenger built Arsenal into a powerhouse. When all the other team's in the Epl were in debt Arsenal were operating in the green.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Barcelona featured many homegrown talents. You could argue that Pep came in and Joe Torre'd Rijkaard, but his team in 2008 and his team in 2012 were different and featured many Barca youth players. in 2008 they had guys from the Youth system on the team in Valdes, Pique, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Bojan, Jorguera, Pedro, Busquetts, and Sanchez, in the 11-12 season they kept most of those players, and added Thiago Alcantara, Cuenca and Fontes as well. Arsenal's current roster features for Youth System players, Gibbs, Wilshere, Belerin, and Iwobi. Wenger has a gift of finding cheap talent, as he signed guys like Mertesacker, Koscielny, Walcott, Ramsey, Monreal, and Campbell for pretty small fees.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Yeah, that's cool West Ham and Southampton have been near the top of the table also at one point the last few years. Doesn't mean they have elite managers.

WTF? Those teams finish, what 7th? Tottenham is in 2nd and have a goal differential 7 goals better than anyone in the EPL. And it's been done completely with young players and squad depth. You think thats less impressive that sucking with the ability to buy any player you want?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    They're sucking less than the rest of the league. WOOOOO.

THey still are a mediocre team. In a year where Leicester is winning the league 2/3 of the way in, I wouldn't judge anything.
    They are mediocre? They have the best goal differential by 7 goals and still alive in Europe and League Cup despite making a run in the EPL. They are in 2nd place, but "mediocre." LOL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    They are mediocre? They have the best goal differential by 7 goals and still alive in Europe and League Cup despite making a run in the EPL. They are in 2nd place, but "mediocre." LOL
    Yeah. If they were in the UCL they wouldn't make it out of group unless they were in the softest group possible. What don't you understand about the Premier league sucking this year? Man U sucks, Chelsea sucks, City sucks, and arsenal sucks. Again, Leicester are winning the league. A team who was just promoted last year and was everyone's bet to be relegated is winning the league.

To add, they're alive in the FA Cup, not the league cup. Arsenal bounced them really early on in the league cup. And they're alive in Europa because they got out of their group, which included Anderlecht (solid team who's fallen mightily lately) Monaco (team reeling from not being able to sell Falcao and haven't utilized James Rodriguez money even a little well) and FK Qarabag (Don't know who they are, sounds like an Orc)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    WTF? Those teams finish, what 7th? Tottenham is in 2nd and have a goal differential 7 goals better than anyone in the EPL. And it's been done completely with young players and squad depth. You think thats less impressive that sucking with the ability to buy any player you want?
    in an incredibly weak premier league. If Man U, Chelsea, and City were playing up to par, Spurs would be lucky to finish. Right now we're almost certainly gonna see the premier league won by a team with less than 80 points. That's not even a remotely common occurrence.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    I feel like the Leicester story isn't getting enough play. It's remarkable. 5,000-1 odds coming into the season. The Phillies are 300-1 to win the WS. The Cleveland ******* Browns are 200-1 to win the next Super Bowl. For a 5,000-1 shot to possibly win the league, that's extraordinary. That's something none of us are likely to see in our lifetimes. Most years I'd root for Spurs or Arsenal by virtue of them not being Chelsea, MC, or MU, but at this point I'm all for Leicester City.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (02-17-2016)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    I feel like the Leicester story isn't getting enough play. It's remarkable. 5,000-1 odds coming into the season. The Phillies are 300-1 to win the WS. The Cleveland ******* Browns are 200-1 to win the next Super Bowl. For a 5,000-1 shot to possibly win the league, that's extraordinary. That's something none of us are likely to see in our lifetimes. Most years I'd root for Spurs or Arsenal by virtue of them not being Chelsea, MC, or MU, but at this point I'm all for Leicester City.
    They are an interesting case. They are simply lethal on the counter attack and teams still have this small club mentality against them and try to get guys forward. It will be interesting to see if teams continue to try that strategy. They have had a bit of luck this year as well. I'd like to see them finish top 4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    They are an interesting case. They are simply lethal on the counter attack and teams still have this small club mentality against them and try to get guys forward. It will be interesting to see if teams continue to try that strategy. They have had a bit of luck this year as well. I'd like to see them finish top 4.
    They haven't really had luck though. They have the goal differential to be legit. THey seemingly score 2 or 3 goals every game and concede about 1. The most goals they've scored in a game is 4. Tottenham has put up some crooked numbers, as they've scored 4 in multiple matches, and have a 5. SO I guess the luck is that they're spreading out goals, but to me that's not really luck, it's how they play. They don't have a particularly proactive style of play and are happy seeing games out.

I do think the small club mentality is a thing. I forget which match of theirs I was watching, I think it was their defeat of City where City came in there thinking they'd have their way and Leicester had their way.

The biggest thing for Leicester though (IMO) has been they have no real weakness. Their defense has been strong, anchored by castoffs like Danny Simpson and Robert Huth. THeir midfield has been really strong with with Mahrez and Kante arguably being their 2 best players. And the life Vardy found at 29, don't think this can stated enough, here's a guy who 5 years ago was playing inthe fifth league. And now he's the top scorer in the premier league.

To me the 2 stories of the premier league have been the stunning performances of Vardy and Dembele. Just last year Dembele was considered garbage by many Spurs fans (including yourself) and now he's arguably their team MVP.

Goes to show you that anything is possible.