Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Arsene is a legend. Arguably the second best manager of the Premier League era. But it was past his time. He didn't have it anymore. The excuse in his defense for mediocrity the handful of season when Chelsea, United, and City dominated the top was that they weren't spending money to pay for Emirates. But they're spending money now. Arsenal's wage bill is a lot closer to United and City than it is to Liverpool, the next team below them.

It's clear that Arsene is a legend of a former era. But he's outclassed now by guys like Pep, Poch, and Klopp. Not to mention Jose is still better.
    Klopp has bested him since coming to Pool. But he's played really good tactical matches against Pep and Poch the last few years. The FA Cup Semi against City last year was proof of that. As I said, the record is a lot worse than the team has played.

The home loss to United, the away draw at Chelsea this year. We actually pushed City at Etihad very tough for most of the game before the offside non-calls. All of those matches we had terrible luck despite outplaying the other sides.

Its dumb to say Wenger is being "outclassed" by those guys when its not true and it's even dumber because there isn't anyone right now to step in his shoes and do better. The Premier League has gotten just that tough. Wenger is still an elite world class manager. Ownership though is still a big issue.
    Forever Fredi

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Ownership is an issue at Arsenal. But Wender isn't as great as he was. I agree he's still world class, but he had no pressure at Arsenal. No fear.

Again, a true legend. Can't stress that enough. But his record vs. his competitors isn't great.

vs. Jose 2-7-9
    vs. Pep 3-3-8
    vs. Poch 3-5-3
    vs. Klopp 3-3-4

Granted his record vs. Poch and Klopp isn't super bad. But those 2 are managers on the rise rather than established and have a significantly lower wage budget.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    BTW, the most logical replacement for Wenger is Loew. If Loew will do it. Guy is a genius and deserves a shot to show his mettle in a top club. I think the first year or so will be really rough because he'll have to reshape the team. But after that they will be set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Heading into the final stretch of the season. City of course have clinched the league. United sit second with 77 points iwth 3 to play, Liverpool 3rd with 72 points with 2 to play. Tottenham 4th with 68 points with 4 to play, Chelsea 5th with 66 points with 3 to play, Arsenal eliminated from the top 4 but can still get into the CL with a Euro League win, but after Atletico drawing at Emirates despite being down to 10 men, they'll need an win almost for sure. I think they can do it. They're more talented. And they're more talented than Marseille or Salzburg for sure.

So looking at the top 4, Liverpool finish with Chelsea and BHA. Both winnable but they may be tired after their UCL tie. So chelsea may be able to snag 3 incredibly critical points. Spurs have Watford, Westbrom, Newcastle, and Leicester with 3 of them at home. I think they have a virtual lock to move into 3rd forcing Liverpool into the 4th seed. Cheslea have Liverpool, Huddersfield, and Newcastle. All very winnable games except Liverpool. If they can win vs. Liverpool it will make the top 4 battle interesting. As they'll be 3 points behind with 2 to play. Again assuming Tottenham gets 10 points from their final 3 games which almost seems a given. But Liverpool may not even need a top 4 finish. Aside from a Barca level fallout they'll be moving onto the UCL final as long as they can stop Roma from scoring 3 goals. Of course the tall glass of Sangria that is Real Madrid is waiting for them on the other side (assuming Real take care of business like they should)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Heading into the finale. Chelsea needs a miracle, Liverpool draws and Chelsea cannot make up goal differential. Huddersfield secured their second season up under American dual national David Wagner by drawing with Chelsea which hurt Chelsea's shot at the top 4 so it made me very happy. All they need is a draw vs. BHA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I can't believe that one the day after it looked like Argentina's World Cups bombed out 3-0. Nigeria gave them hope. Now all Argentina has to do is score a ton of goals. Enough to erase goal differential with Iceland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I'm glad I'm off work for this drama filled finale. Mexico still technically can be bounced from their group, they have to remain focused. The qualification scenarios are intense. As there's potential for a 3 way tie for first and second or a 3 way tie for just second. Any team in that group can qualify or be eliminated in the finale. I'm stoked for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Mexico is so lucky that the Germans ****ed themselves so hard. What a hilarious end to this game.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    totally insane

i am now rooting for Brazil and Germany to go home today in group play. lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Brazil is going to thrash and then thrash Mexico. They're probably gonna win it all. It's gonna be them, France or Belgium, that's my best guesses though Form has been all over the place all world cup. Teams have mostly looked like ****.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    i wouldn't be so sure, if that was a sure, it wouldn't still be in the air on game 3 if they will advance or not

and certainly with how this cup has played

but i am rooting for Serbia
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Would be great for Brazil to flame out. But Brazil is just too talented. Neymar, Firmino, Fred, Casemiro, Coutinho, Marcelo, so on so forth. So much individual talent. They usually only flame out against well organized European sides.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    The reffing today was horrible. So many mistakes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    France vs Belgium is gonna be good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    France vs Belgium is gonna be good
    Has potential to be the best game of the tournament. Unfortunately France will keep running out Giroud ruining some of the fun. I'd much rather see Dembele, Griezmann and MBappe up front. Would be much more exciting than watching Giroud struggle to do anything aside from wait for a heading opportunity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    England with arguably the best chance in a Generation to win a world cup. Have not medaled. On an easier side of the bracket, they just needed one inspired game vs. whoever came from the other side.

England should still be quite good in 4 years, as guys like Alli, Dier, Sterling, Loftus-Cheek, Kane, and Rashford are all pretty young. And Pickford should be a better keeper if he doesn't Joe Hart his way out of the squad. THey didn't miss out as hard as Belgium did, where most of their best players will be around or over 30. But they had probably their best chance to luck into the finals and failed to Croatia, a team that's basically just 2 stars Mordic and Rakitic at their peak and the rest of the team just doing enough. And that's the difference. The Croatian team did enough, England didn't. There's no excuse that an attack featuring Harry Kane and Raheem Sterling scored one goal vs. a croatian defense that's basically just Lovren.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Since I did soooo well last year (ugh)

1) Man City
    2) Spurs
    3) Liverpool
    4) Arsenal
    ————
    5) Man United
    ————
    6) Chelsea
    7) West Ham
    8) Fulham
    9) Wolves
    10) Palace
    11) Leicester
    12) Everton
    13) Bournemouth
    14) Newcastle
    15) Burnley
    16) Brighton
    17) Southampton
    ————
    18) Watford
    19) Huddersfield
    20) Cardiff

Thought about picking someone other than MC to win it all given how difficult it has been for teams to repeat as champions, but they are just so deep with talent. Might be overrating Spurs a bit given what I have read, but I value consistency. Think the top 6 all have realistic chances to finish top 4...would not be surprised with any order from 2-6. Think Cardiff doesn’t have the goods to stay up, but the other two newly promoted clubs should have strong seasons.

KDB for player of the year, Kane leads the league in goals.

So excited for the European season to start. Cooler weather just around the corner (hopefully)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    1. Man United
    2. Spurs
    3. Man City
    4. Liverpool
    5. Chelsea
    6. Everton
    7. Hammers
    8. Leicester

I think that's about what I see.

For highest at risk at relegation

Huddersfield, Cardiff, BHA, Watford, Burnley

Though who knows. No one assumed Stoke would finally go down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Actually I looked at my picks last year and it wasn't superbad

1. Manchester City
    2. Tottenham
    3. Manchester United
    4. Liverpool
    5. Aresenal
    6. Chelsea
    7. Everton
    Got the top 4 right even if the 2-4 order was wrong. Called Chelsea and Arsenal outside looking in though got the order wrong Only miss is Everton.