Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1266

Thread: Fútbol Discusión

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think Gio was playing wide left that game. Dortmund uses different 10s from game to game. Berhalter seems to like Musah as the 10.
    I like Musah as a 10 too. But he also can play wing.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    He had a real solid game. Still growing but it excites me because right now RCB for USMNT is a big question mark, lots of guys who're kind of good, but no clear front runner

You know who was a beast though? John Anthony Brooks. His last 7 matches, Wolfsburg has not conceded a goal. His lowest who scored rating (don't have info on Pokal though) was 7.45. Which for a defender in their system is very high.

If we are healthy, we're the best team in CONCACAF. Mexico has better depth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Except for Pulisic's current dip in form it's a good time to be a USMNT fan right now.

Pulisic is in a rut, but he'll get out. He's a top notch superstar that the USMNT has never seen before.

Gio Reyna, could be even better than Pulisic. He's creative, quick, and if he gets a scoring streak he could be the best of the best.

Weah if he can stay healthy could be an elite level scorer. He's dangerous, he's got incredible timing, etc.

Weston McKennie is looking like a true top notch number 8. He's like Michael Bradley with athletic ability.

Tyler Adams is such a smart number 6. He's not a wrecking ball. He's a smart player and is great at breaking up counters and also at distribution.

Big John Brooks has been when healthy the best defender for about 6 years now. He's an offensive threat, a passing threat, and the best one v. one USMNT defender ever.

Sergino Dest is the right back for Barca. He leaves a little bit to be desired on the defensive side, but offensively he's creative he can shoot, he can pass, he can cross. He's a creative dribbler and aheck of a pest.

Antonee Robinson, a long time ago I compared him to on reddit a young Steve Cherundolo, and I think he could be that good. An athlete who bombs back and forth and provides dangerous crosses into the mixer.

Yunus Musah- If we get him, is an excellent CM. He reminds me a lot of Weston, but with a bit more of an offensive edge.

Chris Richards - I don't want to be hype about him yet, but Bayern bought him from FCD, and seems to like him. They've compared him to Alaba and Boateng. I don't think he'll hit those highs. If he ever does though I'll be creaming my jeans.

Steffen- How ironic that our weakest/most concerning position is keeper? For nearly 30 years keeper was our strongest position and we've had to rebuild without a star keeper. Sadly Guzan's fall from grace was so hard. But Steffen seems to be slowly stepping up to a top notch keeper. I hope he does.

As far as our look going forward. If we're healthy, we're the best team in CONCACAF. Mexico I rate as a better team because their depth is much better. If they lose their top 3 players, they still have quality. We lose our top 3 players and we're relying on MLS players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Got to watch 2 USMNT CBs play against each other. Even had a few passes to each other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    "I think it was pretty clear for me to decide to play for the United States," Musah said, according to U.S. Soccer. "First of all, I think it makes sense to represent the country I was born in. The moment I decided to play for the United States came one day when my heart told me that this was the best place for me. The project that we have now and for the future is so exciting, and it's a great pleasure to be able to be a part of that. I can't wait to get started."

mUSAh!!! mUSAh!!! mUSAh!!

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    "I think it was pretty clear for me to decide to play for the United States," Musah said, according to U.S. Soccer. "First of all, I think it makes sense to represent the country I was born in. The moment I decided to play for the United States came one day when my heart told me that this was the best place for me. The project that we have now and for the future is so exciting, and it's a great pleasure to be able to be a part of that. I can't wait to get started."

mUSAh!!! mUSAh!!! mUSAh!!
    The trend that started with Fabian Johnson and continues to this day is good for the USA. Getting players who aren't stars for their countries to consider coming with us because it's a more likely path towards regular playing. Musah was almost certainly not going to be a star CM for England. But he would have likely been a rotational player.

I like to think of it in FIFA terms. Guys like Brooks, Johnson, Musah, Dest are 80 rated players. They're not world beaters. They're not guys who there country may even miss, but they're guys who will be impactful for the uSMNT and their climb to the top. Right now USMNT's biggest weakness is depth. We have a striker in the Bundesliga, Wingers in premier league, ligue 1, and BUndesliga, Midfielders in Bundesliga, Serie A, and La Liga, defenders in the Bundesliga, La Liga and Premier League and keeper in premier league. The issue in the past ahs been what happens when someone goes down.

In the 2000s we were so lucky that DOnovan, Dempsey, Howard, etc. were basically bastions of health. Which is not the norm. It's much more likely to have players deal with nagging injuries.

Right now I don't feel super confident that if Pulisic or Brooks goes down we're not a much worse team. That's the point I want to get to. Where even if we're playing all backups, we're still a top 30 nation. Right now keeper I'm not happy with (sad Horvath didn't get sold or loaned) I'm optimistic about fullback but LB is a concern. Dest's flexibility makes it less of a concern but if Dest and Robinson are both out, things look dicey there. and attackers.

Some of these I think will work out. ANd some could become holes soon. Like right now I'm comfortable with Ream as backup LCB but will I be in a year or 2? Who knows. To me RCB depth isn't an issue to me because we have a bunch of good not great guys there. I think we can win with Brooks paired with Richards, Long, Miazga, Carter-Vickers, Zimmerman, or any number of RCB options. If Horvath could go somewhere and reclaim his starting role I'd be happy with backup keeper, even without that there's a few kids on the horizon with promise. But after my overhyping of Cody Cropper, I'm more reserved with keeper projections until they hit senior clubs.

I'm optimistic that in 2022 if we have a healthy team we could finally get to the round of 16.

Last World Cup I felt like would ahve been 2006 where we'd be lucky to get points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Big bombs in the world of Global Football.

Manchester United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham AC Milan, Inter, Juve, Atletico, Real, and Barca are early signatories to the new Super League. FIFA and UEFA have basically said such super league would result in the ban hammer. This is their alternative to the Champions League. FIFA and UEFA have talked about banning clubs from club competition and banning players from international games.

Will be interesting as this is basically the biggest money teams telling UEFA to **** off and pretty much telling FIFA to **** off.

This is alos important to watch this as in CONCACAF MLS and Liga MX have talked about making a super league. More via merger than exclusion, but this league existing and defeating the FIFA threat or losing to it, that league will have it's indicator.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    The Borussia Dortmund CEO said they and Bayern Munich are supporting the new Champion’s League format, not the proposed Super League.

Be interesting to watch how this all plays out. Not even sure what I’m rooting for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    The Borussia Dortmund CEO said they and Bayern Munich are supporting the new Champion’s League format, not the proposed Super League.

Be interesting to watch how this all plays out. Not even sure what I’m rooting for.
    Yeah, it's heavily implied that French and German squads back UEFA because of a number of things (PSG for example has Qatari owners) but also because of their traditional league structure. Aside from the big boy clubs, they don't have the name recognition and a lot of squads have risen and fallen in those leagues. Also the Bundesliga is incredibly profitable. So being banned from their league wouldn't be good for those 2.

What the attempt is more or less that the big boy squads are trying to make the NFL/NHL/MLB of world soccer. The true top league that everyone aspires to be in. The problem is going to be a number of things.

My hunch is a compromise is struck, giving big teams more power/buy in in the Champions League but letting other clubs get in via play in.

Though I want the Super League to go through so we get the MLS/Liga MX Super League. I NEED IT.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post

german clubs have to deal with fan ownership.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    English FA beared their teeth and the English clubs have withdrawn from Super League. League hasn't officially dissolved but basically it's down to Real, Barca, Juve and AC Milan as Inter and Atletico have also left. Not much of a Super League left and Juve boss basically admitted it's dead without the English clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    For my few football nerds, Lots of big transfer rumors hanging out. What do you think of them

Messi - Can you imagine him leaving? I've seen rumors where they've ssaid there's a possibility of City Signing him with the intent to "sell" him to NYCFC as he's stated he wanted ot play in the US, though the usual team he's associated with is Inter Miami

Ronaldo - Been lots of talk of this one. Especially as Juve is essentially looking to rebuild. A move back to Manchester almost makes too much sense. Manchester has signed elder Vets to carry the team before (Ibra) if United has a weakpoint, it's that Martial isn't a stellar striker. Moving him into a rotation with Greenwood, Ronaldo and Rashford would be dangerous.

Mbappe - This is a matter of when. At some point you get tired of Dominating France and coming up short in Champions League. With Messi possibly leaving (and his French Teammate there) Barca is a leading candidate, but my money is on Real. Mbappe just seems like a Real player. If this doesn't happen this offseason it happens the next

Haaland - Dortmund will be holding off for the most absurd fee. So he may not go this year. This is a prime target for any number of teams. Liverpool on the heels of a disappointing season could be looking to spark their offense, Bobby Firmino is great for them, but with the increased age of Firmino, Salah, and Mane, Liverpool should be looking to getting younger in the forward department, though I'm guessing they work on filling their midfield out. If City doesn't get Messi, I think they could splurge on him with Aguero possibly being gone. But I think the other team it's likely goes for him is Chelsea. Striker has been a sore point for Chelsea as Werner has been a bust as either a 9 or CAM. Havertz has done well, but a true number 9 like Haaland who puts it in the net, especially supported by Pulisic and Mount is what Chelsea needs. With Werner or Abraham going back to Dortmund, it makes it a trade of sorts.

Sancho - Been rumored to every english club, City, United, Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool, any of them make sense. I'm sure he'll be sold. I think United will be the likely destination, but I wouldn't write off Liverpool bringing him in and selling off Salah, Firmino or Mane.

Pogba - Pogba is almost certainly on the move. I think PSG or Real is the way it will go. I know Juve is an option, but I don't think they'll be buying big names.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    There will be an English Champion of Europe, and for the second time ever, an American will be on the winning side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    If pulisic finished that half chance, Reddit and Twitter would crashed.

Still a quality game, and I'm proud of his game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    How this team is the most talented group of US players to ever play, and Berhalter is trotting out Lletget and Yeuill because it fits the "system" baffles me. Berhalter needs to learn to build his system around his players. Not the other way around. There's no reason we didn't have a better rotation of talent.How do we leave guys like Weah, Yunus, and Aaronson sit on the bench while Yeuill and Lletget are starting is baffling. Add in the worst managerial substitution I can imagine where they subbed out several of the USMNT top players for Reggie Cannon. There was a notiable dropoff in play when Cannon came on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    That game last night was an instant classic.

Hopefully the media takes the Mexican fans to task…didn’t exactly cover themselves in glory last night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I almost broke my computer with joy when Horvath made that save. Especially against Guardado, who I hate.

Mexican fans should be properly punished for this, how do they do it? Aside from start taking results from Mexico. Like after Gio was hit with a water bottle, what is an appropriate penalty? First they should start banning people from those sections. Like when that happens, they should be kciking people out and banning them from international matches forever. Second, award a penalty. The risk to that is the bad apple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    It’s not easy …I definitely think those identified should get lifetime bans, but it’s harder when it’s not one idiot dumping popcorn on Russell Westbrook, but who knows how many people hurling water bottles and whatever else. Between that and the discriminatory chants, I think they have to get harsh and start penalizing the team on the field. It’s really out of control.