Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1266

Thread: Fútbol Discusión

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    United won Europa, which means they'll almost certainly be spending a ton of money bringing in James Rodriguez.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Thank You Arsène Wenger.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Thank You Arsène Wenger.
    I know you've defended Wenger over the years, and he did get **** when he didn't deserve it, but the excuses always were when he opened up the purse he would win more. But Arsenal had the 4th highest wage bill in the EPL, much closer to number 1 Manchester City than number 5 Liverpool. So the excuses are running out.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I know you've defended Wenger over the years, and he did get **** when he didn't deserve it, but the excuses always were when he opened up the purse he would win more. But Arsenal had the 4th highest wage bill in the EPL, much closer to number 1 Manchester City than number 5 Liverpool. So the excuses are running out.
    Dont care. Wenger can retire when he wants to as far as I'm concerned. I don't care for fair weather fans. Same thing we dealt with when Bobby hung around. People wanted him gone while we were winning. A lot of people miss him. I know I sure do.

Wenger is clearly the best manager in England of all time after Fergie. Arsenal's wage structure is a lot different than other teams that's why it's so high. He pays the lower and medium guys higher than league average.

grass is always greener on the other side. Look what happened to United after Fergie left. Same as Pardew in Newcastle. They never won under him but were consistent and the year he's sacked they get demoted.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Dont care. Wenger can retire when he wants to as far as I'm concerned. I don't care for fair weather fans. Same thing we dealt with when Bobby hung around. People wanted him gone while we were winning. A lot of people miss him. I know I sure do.

Wenger is clearly the best manager in England of all time after Fergie. Arsenal's wage structure is a lot different than other teams that's why it's so high. He pays the lower and medium guys higher than league average.

grass is always greener on the other side. Look what happened to United after Fergie left. Same as Pardew in Newcastle. They never won under him but were consistent and the year he's sacked they get demoted.
    Sie Matt Busby, Bob Paisley, and probaly a few others I forgot about. Heck Jose has as many titles in less time.

I get what you're saying. But there is a risk of taking a long time. I think there's a good chance that Diego Simeone could be availble or while he's not much management experience yet, could bring in Patrick Vieira

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Sie Matt Busby, Bob Paisley, and probaly a few others I forgot about. Heck Jose has as many titles in less time.

I get what you're saying. But there is a risk of taking a long time. I think there's a good chance that Diego Simeone could be availble or while he's not much management experience yet, could bring in Patrick Vieira
    Mourinho didn't build anything. In Portugal he did, but when he went to Chelsea they were already Abramovich'd with cash. Mourinho isn't as overrated as say Pep. So overrated. He's been given the reigns to three of the top 10 purses in the world. Really easy to win when you had prime Messi, and the squad's Bayern had.

I do respect someone like Klopp and if he hadn't gone to Liverpool I wanted Arsenal to bring him in for Wenger to groom. He commands respect and has the same professionalism as Wenger. Surprised Dortmund let him go to be honest.

Anyhow, the real issue here at the end of the day is Stan Kroenke. It's a double edged sword. On one side he hasn't fired Wenger which someone like Abramovich would have done. On the other side, Arsenal are worth a lot more and he doesn't spend like City, United, or Chelsea owners.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    No way Klopp would have come in for a grooming. Klopp was already too big for Dortmund, no way he goes to Arsenal to be groomed. He could go there to replace WEnger with Wenger staying on as an advisor or some ****, but not to be groomed. He wouldn't agree with that, it doesn't make any sense. Especially since he accomplished more in Dortmund than WEnger did at Arsenal in a similar time span from 08-15 he won the Bundesliga twice, the DFB-Pokal once and made it to the finals of the UCL. All WEnger has to show is 3 FA Cups. Which isn't anything to poo poo. But same number of trophies for the 2, but Klopp won the big one twice and Wenger didn't. Basically Klopp has 2 golds and a silver, Wenger has 3 silvers.

And Klopp did it vs. a much worse pay disparity. At no point was Arsenal that far behind the big spenders like DOrtmund was behind Bayern. The famous quip a few years back was QPR had a higher wage bill than Dortmund. When they won the league their wage bill was like 38M euros. Now the world has spent a ton fo money more so there's obviously some inflation, but that would be like if Swansea was competitive in the UCL every year.

Add in that if Klopp succeeds and brings Liverpool back to glory he'll truly be a legend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Check the avatar.

THe hype is real.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    https://sports.yahoo.com/target-leav...162937085.html

"However, amid several exec changes in recent years, the Minneapolis-based retailer has been transitioning out as it shifts to more of a soccer focus."

Soccer can't grow in the US huh.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Zito, what do you think of MLS reportedly rejecting that $4B media deal because pro-rel was a necessary condition of the deal? I could see why they passed, but damn...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Zito, what do you think of MLS reportedly rejecting that $4B media deal because pro-rel was a necessary condition of the deal? I could see why they passed, but damn...
    Well, the cost to buy a franchise right now is 200M. So that would be the reason. Right now MLS is very much interested in protecting the owners because that is how the ols soccer leagues failed. No cost protection and so on so forth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Well PSG is insane. Neymar is probably the best player under 25 in the world, but 1M per week is insane. They're gonna be ruined by FFP for sure.

But what he lost was the chance to be the face of Barcelona after Messi starts slipping. Which isn't the same amount of money of course, but it could be when endorsements come into play, as playing for Barca is way more brand strong than PSG. Think about it, what PSG players do you know? They have a lot of incredibly talented players like Cavani, Di Maria, Verratti, Silva, and a few others. But they won't win the UCL anytime soon, add Neymar to the group and they have a dynamic attack, but does that compare to Real with Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Modric, Kroos, etc. or Barca's Messi, Saurez, Iniesta, etc. or Chelsea's Fabregas, Morata, Hazard, Pedro, Willian, etc. Heck even Manchester United has Pogba, Mata, Martial, Lukaku, Herrera, and others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    This would be why then

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/adida...152955630.html

6 700M for just kits. When they redo TV they probably won't quite do the 10/4B of that proposal aka 400M per year. But it won't be that much lower when the next TV deal comes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    This would be why then

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/adida...152955630.html

6 700M for just kits. When they redo TV they probably won't quite do the 10/4B of that proposal aka 400M per year. But it won't be that much lower when the next TV deal comes.
    Staggering...love to see it. Hopefully it manifests in more TAM flowing to the teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Staggering...love to see it. Hopefully it manifests in more TAM flowing to the teams.
    Rumor is 2M to each team for "young" players. We'll see what that constitutes, but it wouldn't be the LAG way. I'm guessing it will be a way to try and keep guys like Acosta and others around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    BTW, Pulisic is rumored to be Coutinho's replacement if Barca move for him.

Never has there been a better USMNT prospect. I know Adu was the hyped savior of yesteryear, But he was not a CHampions League player with ties to competing for a starting spot on one of the biggest clubs in the world before turning 20. Same thing with Donovan. While other Yanks have done some impressive things, Pulisic is incredibly awesome, as long as he stays healthy he'll be the best USMNT player to date

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Kolasinic was bulling Pulisic in the Bund.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Kolasinic was bulling Pulisic in the Bund.
    Who cares? Pulisic is Jesus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    I think I'd just as soon see him stay with Dortmund, but if he comes to the PL, Liverpool & Klopp is far from the worst spot.

Super excited to see a new season start this weekend (last weekend if you count France). For me the fall is the best time of the soccer calendar. Business end of MLS + group stages of European competition + watching EPL on cool autumn mornings on weekends. Nothing better.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (08-10-2017), The Chosen One (08-10-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Any predictions for this season?

I feel like there's 7 teams for 4 spots in England.

I'll go:

1) United
    2) City
    3) Spurs
    4) Arsenal
    5) Chelsea
    6) Liverpool
    7) Everton
    18-20) Watford, Swans, Brighton

Manchester teams have too much talent, elite managers, and tremendous amounts of pressure. Lukaku is a proven PL goal scorer and I think MU have the right pieces around to unlock Pogba (he's got a lot to prove this season, IMO), so I'll give them the slight edge.

I hate to buy into the Tottenham will struggle at Wembley narrative, but that coupled with no real additions could cause them to slip. I'd like to see them win it, but I could easily see them fall out of the top 4.

Arsenal I could see going either way, but I think they'll punt the Europa League and use 2nd stringers and focus on getting back in the top 4. I'll say they sneak in, for now (losing Alexis could change that).

Chelsea has to deal with European football and its squad isn't all that deep. I have a bad feeling about them. Could see them following the recent pattern of defending champions to fall out of the top 4.

I could see either of the Liverpool based clubs making it into the top 4...Lpool is a bit thin and I'm not convinced they hold onto Coutinho...really like Everton's summer additions, but I don't have the guts to put them 4th.
    Last edited by acesfull86; 08-10-2017 at 08:49 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (08-10-2017)