908 Posts
    Time for changes

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Lets be honest here. I can’t blame Arena when he has literally no talent around. Other than Pulisic it’s pretty bad. Dempsey used to be good. He’s old now.
    That's a lie. He didn't pick Fabian Johnson, he didn't pick Timmy Chandler. Granted John Brooks wasn't available and that stinks as Brooks/Cameron is ffar and away the best back line combo.

US has a ton of quality players. Much mroe than Honduras or Panama. Honduras has 0 players in a top flight European league. Lozano is in Barca B, Acosta is in second division of Spain, and Mejia plays in Greece. Everyone else plays either domestically or non-real leagues. Panama same basicc boat. USMNT have Yedlin (Premier League) Cameron (Premier League) Pulisic (Bundesliga) Wood (Bundesliga) and not selected Chandler (Bundesliga) and guys who were former players in top leagues in Dempsey, Bradley, Altidore, Guzan, Howard, and Bedoya.

USMNT wasn't gonna rock the WOrld Cup, this was a transition time. But it was supposed to move from the last group to the next group.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Time for changes
    Gulati should resign. This ultimately falls on him. He went for Jurgen and gave him the keys and then when things got scary kicked him out and put Grandpa Bruce behind the wheel who then drove the car off the bridge.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Could kind of feel this building ...what a nightmare though.

Hopefully this marks the end of the old guard on the roster. Gulati and Arena should be unemployed by the time the plane lands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Here's what I want to see.

Bradley exiled. Howard retire. Gonzalez dishonorably discharged. I wanted Bradley to sheppard the US midfield until the next generation is ready, but at this point he failed to captain the US to the World Cup and that's unacceptable.

US should have Horvath or Gonzales playing important games ASAP. Miazga, CCV, Hyndman, etc. should start seeing playing time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Yeah I’m done with anyone over age 28 or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Yeah I’m done with anyone over age 28 or so.
    I'd give Dempsey like 5 more games to try and set the record. I'd be done with Jozy aside from maybe the Gold Cup. Go with Wood up top and get ready. The good news is that Sargent looks legit, Pulisic is legit, Brooks is a stud when healthy and in 5 years they'll all be in that glory 22-28 year old group as well as CCv, Miaga, Yedlin, Zelalem, de la TOrre, McKennie, etc. who're all young and promising and could be amazing by Russia. We need to start playing these kids now. This world cup was Jozy's and Bradley's last chance while in thier prime, no reason to bring them along. I'd bring Guzan to camp and play some but we need some time for younger guys like Horvath, Klinsmann, Gonalez, etc.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    I don't watch often but is the pool that ****ty that they had to go back to Arena? No one else in the country?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    I don't watch often but is the pool that ****ty that they had to go back to Arena? No one else in the country?
    Firing Klinnsman was probably not in the cards initially until we kept sucking and it put Klinns in a bad spot. Because we were so close to being eliminated to qualify they brought Arena on because 1) He’s had experience managing the USMNT and 2) He has been relatively successful in MLS and was probably the best choice for a steady hand to steady a sinking ship.

Because of the short time frame we had to get our act together, there was no way we could have brought on a new manager from outside the system to get us back in shape that quickly with a new system. Simply wasn’t enough time. Some of the best managers in the world are managing Club teams full-time. Arena has actually worked with most of the seasoned and older vets on the team since he was managing the USMNT as recently as 2006.
    Forever Fredi

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    There are a lot of places to lay blame in the big picture, but I think missing the Brooks/Cameron pairing was the biggest single thing that killed them in the Hex. I can't count the times Gonzales got turned, and it led to leaning too hard on Bradley, who wasn't up to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    There are a lot of places to lay blame in the big picture, but I think missing the Brooks/Cameron pairing was the biggest single thing that killed them in the Hex. I can't count the times Gonzales got turned, and it led to leaning too hard on Bradley, who wasn't up to it.
    It wasn't that Bradley wasn't up to it. He was playing a roll that isn't what he plays. He's not a 6 he's certainly not a wrecking ball CDM which is how Arena deployed him mostly. Bradley is a Schweinsteiger or Xavi. He's a holding mid who provides defensive cover. But not strictly there to play defense. He needs to be part of the buildup. Unfortunately the truth is that since moving to MLS Bradley's USMNT erformance has divebombed. I don't think that's just a correlation. I get why he did it. He's making 5M more a year and closer to his family. I get it. But I wouldn't give him a starting spot or the captain's band anymore. For sure I see more leadership coming from Brooks/Cameron.

Missing Brooks/Cameron hurt. But Arena kept making bad picks across the back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Arena has actually worked with most of the seasoned and older vets on the team since he was managing the USMNT as recently as 2006.
    Only Beasley, Dempsey and Howard IIRC played for Arena.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    The issue was that it was a knee jerk reaction from Gulati to a terrible performance against Costa Rica and getting Dominated by Mexico too much recently. Reality is that Klinsmann didn't have a good player pool from the tail end of the BRadley era and was just starting to rebuild it. Tragically Arena didn't capture this and elected to use Gonzalez and Besler instead of looking at Miazga or Cameron Carter-Vickers. Arena was a pick that was supposed to be safe as he is a players manager who the players love. Klinsmann was all about keeping players out of a comfort zone and arena is all about keeping players in a comfort zone.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Only Beasley, Dempsey and Howard IIRC played for Arena.
    No but he still was part of the overall development when some of the others were teens.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    No but he still was part of the overall development when some of the others were teens.
    Fair enough. But as I recall unlike Klinsmann Arena wasn't really involved in player development. Also the lost generation of Bradley/ALtidore were U-20 in 07 after Arena was canned. So they likely weren't much on his radar. Though you'd be right that they'd be familiar with his general style as I'd assume the USMNT had a semi-top down system since no one seems to know how to build up from that era and they just play route 1/counter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    BTW the Baby Nats (U-20 and U17) both got to the quarter finals in their respective World Cups. Looks like Klinsmann's youth overhaul is starting to work. Ignoring the obvious early returns of Pulisic and Klinsmann recruits like Brooks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Tim Weah is the ******* truth

Looking forward to game on Saturday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    As today is my one day off. it's my get hype for last weekend in MLS. Only 1 playoff spot up for grabs. Currently being held by -22 GD San Jose.

Here's where each team has to gain and lose

Atlanta gets a home game with a win vs. Toronto. Add in an NYCFC and Chicago loss or tie and they get the 2 seed.

City errrr. NYCFC wins and gets the 2 seed. But COlumbus could spoil them anf grab the 2 seed if they win that match and Altanta and Chicago draw/tie.

I'm sure by now you see Chicago's path to the 2 seed when they play Houston, win and NYC loss.

FC dallas needs some help to return to the playoffs. San JOse only has to win and they're in.

RSL needs the most help as they need to get more points than both San JOse and Dallas.

And maybe the best match of the week, Timbers vs. Whitecaps. Timber have 2 things on the line, a win gets them both the number 1 seed and the cascadia cup. Vancouver only needs a draw to deny them both.

Also with the spotlight on must wins for positive results, the MVP frontrunners in Villa, ALmiron, valeri, and Nikolic. ANy one of them can grab some headlines by succeeding in carrying their team to a bye/top spot.

Also a strong performance vs. Altidore, Giovinco, and co should lock Leandro Gonzales Pirez as the defensive player of the year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Welcome to the fickleness of the MLS playoffs, Atlanta

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Welcome to the fickleness of the MLS playoffs, Atlanta
    Atlanta United just officially welcoming themselves to Georgia Sports Teams Chokers Club.

Braves, Falcons, Hawks, Dawgs, Tech, Dream, Thrashers...
    Forever Fredi