Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 6/27 GDT: Atlanta Braves (36-39) vs. San Diego Padres (31-45)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    He's been throwing strikes. I think the credit belongs mostly to him. Not to the umps.
    Sounds like the Padres disagreed. Manager said it was the biggest zone ever.

Even if this game was played in Suntrust and he gave up 2 dingers it would still be positive. He's looking like a functional MLB starter. With more data and maybe a change we can see how good of a starter.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It's risky but I would certainly investigate that option. Lucroy was this guy as of last year and has completely fallen off in all areas. Such is the life of a catcher.
    Lucroy has a lot more mileage on him than Flowers does. About 2600 innings in MLB, or 50% more.

It's definitely worth exploring, depending on cost and contract length.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Sounds like the Padres disagreed. Manager said it was the biggest zone ever.

Even if this game was played in Suntrust and he gave up 2 dingers it would still be positive. He's looking like a functional MLB starter. With more data and maybe a change we can see how good of a starter.
    Wow, the zone last night was not big. Like, at all. Outside corner pitches weren't being called at all. I thought the zone was rather tight - for both pitchers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Wow, the zone last night was not big. Like, at all. Outside corner pitches weren't being called at all. I thought the zone was rather tight - for both pitchers.
    I felt like Newk was getting the left hand side of the plate at will last night. I could see why SD would be frustrated.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I felt like Newk was getting the left hand side of the plate at will last night. I could see why SD would be frustrated.
    Interesting. I thought there were some definite strikes that weren't called so. But I definitely don't think Newcomb was getting anything Chacin wasn't.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    It's nice you guys all felt a certain way. Why not just look up the ball/strike calls and know the facts?

Here is Newcomb's pitchfx data for last night:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/.../&prevDate=627

And here is Chacin's:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...627&league=mlb

Looks pretty even to me...
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-28-2017 at 11:13 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-28-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-28-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Not to mention barely any strikes called outside the zone for Newk. Looks like 4-5 max.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Don't forget the TV camera angle was the old classic one from a little bit to the side not the birds eye view that we had at Turner Field directly behind the pitcher.

I actually prefer the Padres' camera angle.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I'm so, so sorry :(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    It's nice you guys all felt a certain way. Why not just look up the ball/strike calls and know the facts?

Here is Newcomb's pitchfx data for last night:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/.../&prevDate=627

And here is Chacin's:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...627&league=mlb

Is there a standard whiff % for good to awesome pitches?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Newk's improved command likely has to do with 2 factors:

1. Flowers is an elite pitch framer. Not only does this get him some strikes on pitches out of the zone, it also prevents strikes on the edges of the zone from incorrectly being called balls. The Braves are going to be building around young pitching, so framing skill should be the #1 priority at the catcher position...the main reason I wanted to pair Castro with Flowers.

2. Newk has ditched his slider and his change. It stands to reason it is easier to control 2 pitches than 3-4. He never threw the change at the MLB level, but he did throw the slider a lot in his first start. Since then he has been strictly a 2 pitch guy. He picked his 2 best pitches to rely on, so that's a good way to improve command.

Newk was insanely lucky last night with hard hit batted balls. His FIP is right around 3, and his xFIP is right around 4. Don't be surprised when the luck runs out and his ERA doubles over the course of 2-3 starts.

Everyone will start complaining about him leaving balls in the middle of the plate once the results start to reflect what's really going on.

He needs to add a 3rd pitch, and I think it needs to be his change. That won't happen until the offseason, so until then, folks need to refrain from souring on him when he normalizes to a ~4 ERA in the upcoming months.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

4maddux_cy's (06-28-2017), chop2chip (06-28-2017), jpx7 (06-28-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-28-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

1. Flowers is an elite pitch framer. Not only does this get him some strikes on pitches out of the zone, it also prevents strikes on the edges of the zone from incorrectly being called balls. The Braves are going to be building around young pitching, so framing skill should be the #1 priority at the catcher position...the main reason I wanted to pair Castro with Flowers.

2. Newk has ditched his slider and his change. It stands to reason it is easier to control 2 pitches than 3-4. He never threw the change at the MLB level, but he did throw the slider a lot in his first start. Since then he has been strictly a 2 pitch guy. He picked his 2 best pitches to rely on, so that's a good way to improve command.

Newk was insanely lucky last night with hard hit batted balls. His FIP is right around 3, and his xFIP is right around 4. Don't be surprised when the luck runs out and his ERA doubles over the course of 2-3 starts.

Everyone will start complaining about him leaving balls in the middle of the plate once the results start to reflect what's really going on.

He needs to add a 3rd pitch, and I think it needs to be his change. That won't happen until the offseason, so until then, folks need to refrain from souring on him when he normalizes to a ~4 ERA in the upcoming months.

I'd want to know whether his third and fourth pitches were the ones that he was struggling to command in the minors. I have the sense it was more his primary offerings that he would would use for an inning based on these minors reports but don't know.

I think he has the other pitches, but he's been told to focus on fastball/curve to start. I think he'll work in the pitches he already has more as the season goes on. I believe the Braves just want to lay down some positive innings for him and build from there. they've been a little lucky so far to get this good a result, but it still would have been working ok.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts

I'll be fine with a 4 ERA if his walk numbers are good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post
    I'll be fine with a 4 ERA if his walk numbers are good.
    Agree.

I think all accounts are that he looks like a solid MLB pitcher now. He's not going to be a TOR and/or worth Simba if he doesn't get a third pitch and have a better K%-BB%. The SSS may mask his issues. But right now he at least looks solid which is a big upgrade from over half the rotation.

Cabrera magically improved his command when he came up last year. He got hurt and now it looks like he lost it again. So we will see.

Is there a stat for non-competitive pitches? Defined as pitches that have no chance of being in the zone (miss by 6+ inches). It seems like Newcombe isn't throwing many of those.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Kimbrel was another guy who randomly found good control when being called up

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    ... folks need to refrain from souring on him when he normalizes to a ~4 ERA in the upcoming months.
    Not sure how soon that will happen so long as a) he keeps facing people for the first time and

2) he keeps throwing quality strikes. I love the thought of Glavine schooling him on living on that outside edge.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Kimbrel was another guy who randomly found good control when being called up
    Mauricio Cabrera's control also got better upon moving up, IIRC.