Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting pitching bWAR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I said at their peak which was like 2010 and 2012 when they scored 700 runs a year. Which yeah isn't an offensive powerhouse, but it was around league average or better.

MLB success is built around a lot of pitching talent and quality position talent. We right now I think have 2 quality young position players. Freeman and Swanson. Which Swanson of course has a long way to go to get to a high level.

And out position player prospects have some concerns. Albies is basically another Swanson, Acuna looks like he could be great, though right now we have a lot of expensive veterans clogging up our corners. Maitan is an exciting prospect but is at least 3 years from the bigs.

And it comes back to the issue some of us had with our blow up. It wasn't that we blew the system up, we blew it up for a ton of pitching prospects. After trading Justin, Jason, and Gattis, we ot back Miller, Jenkins, Fried, the Petersons, Smith, Ruiz, Thurman, and Folty. And our biggest draws from that were Miller, Fried, and Folty, Our best position prospect was Ruiz who's struggled since hitting AA. Mallex may wind up being the best player in that trade.
    You don't like inciarte?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I said at their peak which was like 2010 and 2012 when they scored 700 runs a year. Which yeah isn't an offensive powerhouse, but it was around league average or better.

MLB success is built around a lot of pitching talent and quality position talent. We right now I think have 2 quality young position players. Freeman and Swanson. Which Swanson of course has a long way to go to get to a high level.

And out position player prospects have some concerns. Albies is basically another Swanson, Acuna looks like he could be great, though right now we have a lot of expensive veterans clogging up our corners. Maitan is an exciting prospect but is at least 3 years from the bigs.

And it comes back to the issue some of us had with our blow up. It wasn't that we blew the system up, we blew it up for a ton of pitching prospects. After trading Justin, Jason, and Gattis, we ot back Miller, Jenkins, Fried, the Petersons, Smith, Ruiz, Thurman, and Folty. And our biggest draws from that were Miller, Fried, and Folty, Our best position prospect was Ruiz who's struggled since hitting AA. Mallex may wind up being the best player in that trade.
    But Miller was flipped for Swanson and Inciarte. So that counts. But I don't know what was being offered for guys with 1-year left on their deals. So I'm not sure which hitters were possible out of all of that. Maybe none of them were worth while.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    I think a team with limited resources would be wise to build around strong defense and relief pitching (ignoring offense for a minute).

It seems like that's a cheaper way to buoy a pitching staff without exhausting massive resources. I really wish more team would start flirting with long relief being a common weapon. I could imagine folks like Sims, Blair, Wisler, etc. could be very effective if pitching 2-3 innings at a time.

The Dbacks are having a lot of success with Bradley doing this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-28-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

Projecting out more than a couple years is tough.

FF is clearly a plus 1B. We'll see about the injury and 3B. Before injury he was looking plus plus.
    Inciarte is a plus CF. He looks like he's going to be a 3-4 Win player
    Swanson I think is going to be a 2-3 War SS.
    Flowers is not young but hes starting to look like he's mad a change to a legit 1.5-3 WAR guy
    Albies I think will be a 2-3 WAR guy at least. He should defend his way to 1+ WAR and even if it's empty I think he hits and walks enough.

If that's the case we should be looking at major upgrades in the areas where it should be the easiest to upgrade....OF corners and either INF corner where FF is not.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    If that's the case we should be looking at major upgrades in the areas where it should be the easiest to upgrade....OF corners and either INF corner where FF is not.
    Problem is that all the guys you mentioned but Freeman and Flowers are defensive value guys. Offensive value we have nothing, Though I think Acuna could do that. WE need to get rid of Kemp or Markakis at the deadline to make some room for Acuna and see what we have in him later.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Problem is that all the guys you mentioned but Freeman and Flowers are defensive value guys. Offensive value we have nothing, Though I think Acuna could do that. WE need to get rid of Kemp or Markakis at the deadline to make some room for Acuna and see what we have in him later.
    You think a majority of the value of guys like Swanson, Albies, and Acuna is defensive?

And I hope you're not suggesting we bring Acuna up this year.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    You think a majority of the value of guys like Swanson, Albies, and Acuna is defensive?

And I hope you're not suggesting we bring Acuna up this year.
    I think the majority of the value Albies brings will be defensive and that may be the case with Swanson depending on where his power winds up.

Didn't mention Acuna, as he wasn't in your post. Infact I mentioned him because I think he could be an offensive contributor.

I'm not actively suggesting it, but I'd bring him up in September when it won't effect his service time. ANd unloading a bad contract when you have the chance is always a good idea and someone may make that move at the deadline.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg