Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 6/28 GDT: Atlanta Braves (37-39) vs. San Diego Padres (31-46)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    If this team really thinks it's going to try to compete, you have to mop up teams like San Diego and Oakland. Letting Colon start another game is beyond stupid. Cut him, give him a front office job if you must, and be done with it.
    that escalated quickly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    If this team really thinks it's going to try to compete, you have to mop up teams like San Diego and Oakland. Letting Colon start another game is beyond stupid. Cut him, give him a front office job if you must, and be done with it.
    I have no problem with it at all. It was a reasonable attempt to see if Colon could rally. In long standing Braves tradition he could not, which means he will likely be picked up by another team and no-hit the Braves out later this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    A few things to note about Bartolo's results this year:

Swinging strike % is 4.9%, a career low. Two years ago it was 6.4%.

When batters swing at a pitch in the strike zone, they are making contact 93.2% of the time, a career high. Two years ago it was 89.7%.

When swinging at a pitch outside the strike zone, they are making contact 82.1% of the time, also a career high. Two years ago it was 80.6%.

Batters are swinging at a smaller percentage of his pitches inside and outside the strike zone. This greater selectivity, along with his diminished stuff, has allowed them to improve their contact rates.

A high BABIP (.360) has figured in. So he's had some bad luck. But the factors behind the poor results go well beyond that.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-29-2017 at 08:32 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I have no problem with it at all. It was a reasonable attempt to see if Colon could rally. In long standing Braves tradition he could not, which means he will likely be picked up by another team and no-hit the Braves out later this season.
    Yeah. I think that's why they went without a rehab start. They wanted to see if he could do well against a poor team in a good pitcher's park. And he couldn't.

We do seem subject to Revenge Performances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Yeah. I think that's why they went without a rehab start. They wanted to see if he could do well against a poor team in a good pitcher's park. And he couldn't.

We do seem subject to Revenge Performances.
    It seems to me if they did want to give him one last chance, it should have come after a rehab start. He hasn't pitched in a game in three weeks. How meaningful is it to evaluate a pitcher under those circumstances. They could have given him a rehab start and pitched him the last game in Oakland, where the park is pitcher friendly and the lineup not so good.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It seems to me if they did want to give him one last chance, it should have come after a rehab start. He hasn't pitched in a game in three weeks. How meaningful is it to evaluate a pitcher under those circumstances. They could have given him a rehab start and pitched him the last game in Oakland, where the park is pitcher friendly and the lineup not so good.

If they were trying to give him the very best chance of having a couple of good outings, whether for confidence or to pump trade value (which was not quite as big a long shot as Freddie Freeman not embarrassing himself at 3B, but close), you'd probably want to get the Padres start in.

Bowman tweeted something about the start probably being his last regardless of the result, which I did not really understand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If they were trying to give him the very best chance of having a couple of good outings, whether for confidence or to pump trade value (which was not quite as big a long shot as Freddie Freeman not embarrassing himself at 3B, but close), you'd probably want to get the Padres start in.

Bowman tweeted something about the start probably being his last regardless of the result, which I did not really understand.
    I think the word is out then about that being his last outing. Chip kept really hinting colon could be done here

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I don't disagree, but at the same time what I said was complete conjecture.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    If this team really thinks it's going to try to compete, you have to mop up teams like San Diego and Oakland. Letting Colon start another game is beyond stupid. Cut him, him a front office job if you must, and be done with it.
    He barely even make pitch with team, and we're dangling a decision-making job? Even in the bowels of the front office, I'm not sure there's any good reason.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Just stick him on the 60 day DL and activate him when rosters expand. Pretty simple solution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Just stick him on the 60 day DL and activate him when rosters expand. Pretty simple solution.
    Colon may not make it that simple. He may wanna chance to pitch elsewhere... try to stay in shape and all

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    He barely even make pitch with team, and we're dangling a decision-making job? Even in the bowels of the front office, I'm not sure there's any good reason.
    Well with the Braves, it's largely a who you know club. Sometimes that's a good thing.