Page 13 of 93 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Affordable Care Act

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Then you have the option of not owning a home.

I'm for universal healthcare, but your arguments for this powderpuff insurance company's second best case that is Obamacare are weak. If you don't want car insurance you can walk, bike or take public transportation, if you don't like homeowners insurance you can rent. If you don't like renters insurance find a slumlord. There are options for other insurances if you don't want them.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    “If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor. Period. If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what.”

Are you in danger of losing your HC insurance ?
    since when have you become such a staunch defender of the "takers" (that is a comment not a question)

Besides the obvious bruha-ha over ACA to simply dig at Obama I see the real issue is the ongoing war against government regulation. From the New Deal on.
    Sturg - is the CDC worthwhile? Why is there a CDC? Who pays for it? If it wasn't there - who would fill that void?

The battle you are actually being sent out to fight is against the CDC and other government regulatory agencies. Kinda like the human shields Sadaam Hussein sent out to fight the Iranians in the 80's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Then you have the option of not owning a home.

I'm for universal healthcare, but your arguments for this powderpuff insurance company's second best case that is Obamacare are weak. If you don't want car insurance you can walk, bike or take public transportation, if you don't like homeowners insurance you can rent. If you don't like renters insurance find a slumlord. There are options for other insurances if you don't want them.

I agree with you. The law is weak and implementing it, even before the IT glitch, really awkward. What else has ever gotten this close to true universal HC. Shoot Z it's taken over 100 years to get this. If this goes away -- it could be another 100. What were the on the table alternatives? If any!

I find it offensive to read so called learned people spout some of the nonsense and 1/4 truths opponents predictably expect them to swallow.
    Not so much defending the ACA as trying to set the record straight. There won't be death panels - see what I mean?

The argument that we all wind up paying for un insured visits to the emergency room are provable. Arguments of how many people have been helped by ACA prior to the Oct 1 exchange roll out are provable. There are many good things going on with this -- but, I agree with you -- I hate that the insurance industry is still involved. A half loaf is better than no loaf. Abraham Lincoln said that

& That was the compromise
    Last edited by 57Brave; 10-25-2013 at 08:14 AM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Since this law is essentially raising rates on everyone and forcing poor people to buy something they can't afford - how can you defend it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Oh, and by the way - finally got my premiums. If I want to keep my same coverage, I have to pay 79% more.

AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE FOR THE WIN!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Because our company is now forced to offer "basic" health care options for contractors and non-full time employees. And the regular folks have to subsidize it

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    911 Posts
    I got lucky with my company...they're passing on the majority of the cost increase to people who are married and/or have kids. Cost of prescription drug coverage going way up too. Since I'm single and am not on any prescriptions, my cost increase isn't going to be severe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    We renewed back in August. The doo hadn't hit the fan at that time, but next Aug our company will be evaluating our entire plan.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    To sturg from above:

According to everything I've read and first take is your employer is who your beef is with.
    79% is outrageous unless they were fully subsidizing your HC and now they expect you to pay a higher portion. Was there an implied or written guarantee of shared or payed for HC costs?.

In which case 79% is still outrageous. Because if it was the policy that increased and diminished coverage the insurance company would have to, by provision of the ACA, justify to you the rate increase.
    In this case what I see is the employer manipulating both you and the law.
    Do you have a union to stick up for you? Or, have you contacted Kaiser Foundation for their advise

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    According to everything I've read and first take is your employer is who your beef is with.
    79% is outrageous unless they were fully subsidizing your HC and now they expect you to pay a higher portion. Was there an implied or written guarantee of shared or payed for HC costs?.

In which case 79% is still outrageous. Because if it was the policy that increased and diminished coverage the insurance company would have to, by provision of the ACA, justify to you the rate increase.
    In this case what I see is the employer manipulating both you and the law.
    Do you have a union to stick up for you? Or, have you contacted Kaiser Foundation for their advise
    The employer doesn't decide what rate to charge.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Then by law the insurance provider has to give written explanation.
    You can look it up

In sturg's case I take his explanation to mean he pays a portion and his employer a portion. That is where his rates increase.
    Sturg- do I understand right?

either way I'd still seek advise from someone that understands the law instead of shaking my fist on a baseball message board. Kaiser Foundation would be a good place to start
    Last edited by 57Brave; 10-25-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Then by law the insurance has to give written explanation.
    You can look it up
    Yes they do. Its called rate increases. Actuaries say so. They are taking on a ton more risk, so they jack the prices up.

I am in insurance. I know the regs. You don't have to keep telling me to "look it up". An insurance company can call it " bad loss ratio" or "unfavorable experience" or whatever they want. I have seen it 1000 times. They are in business to make money, and if they cannot rate for conditions, they will just assume that most people are in terrible condition to keep from losing money. They will err on the side of making money. Rates are going up. I have checked it myself, and the only major player in this area is going to put the full on prison rape on folks. My office has talked to them about it multiple times. Hooray ACA!

I don't think you know how the real world works.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 10-25-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Are you AA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Oh, and by the way - finally got my premiums. If I want to keep my same coverage, I have to pay 79% more.

AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE FOR THE WIN!!!!
    Run your rate in the exchange and let us know. Remember, no one is telling you that you will be forced into the exchange or will have to drop your current covg. I believe thats what was spouted tongue in cheek by Obammer.

If its anything like our area, the carriers will just match the rate in the exchange and private to avoid any snaffu's (and that isn't a good thing).
    Last edited by Tapate50; 10-25-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    To be clear, I was getting insanely low premiums - and now I'm getting low premiums (lower than most of my friends), but it is a 78% increase of what I pay today.

In addition, I have to do 2 bio-metric tests a year or my rates will go up 20%, and if I smoke, my rates go up 30% (luckily I don't).

We have been explained what the increase is. Because of the new law, our company is providing bare-bone insurance so that everyone in the company (contractors, work-at-home, part-time) has access to health insurance. Before, they weren't being provided health insurance (they just got paid more). Because of all these new folks coming in, the rates for old folks is going up to subsidize it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Run your rate in the exchange and let us know. Remember, no one is telling you that you will be forced into the exchange or will have to drop your current covg. I believe thats what was spouted tongue in cheek by Obammer.

If its anything like our area, the carriers will just match the rate in the exchange and private to avoid any snaffu's (and that isn't a good thing).
    I would run my rates, but unfortunately, I don't want to give all my personal information - which the exchange forces everyone to do in order to get a quote. For some reason I have reason to doubt my privacy is secure.

At least we have the NSA...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    The president said “If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor. Period. If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what.”

So far I've given you 376,000 people who are losing their health care plan. He promised no one would take it away yet the first month of implementation has seen just that happen to thousands of people.

Here's another story about people not being able to keep their doctors:
    http://nypost.com/2013/10/25/elderly...der-obamacare/

Here's what is happening where I currently live:
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...on_764732.html

Don't worry though, all is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    To be clear, I was getting insanely low premiums - and now I'm getting low premiums (lower than most of my friends), but it is a 78% increase of what I pay today.

In addition, I have to do 2 bio-metric tests a year or my rates will go up 20%, and if I smoke, my rates go up 30% (luckily I don't).

We have been explained what the increase is. Because of the new law, our company is providing bare-bone insurance so that everyone in the company (contractors, work-at-home, part-time) has access to health insurance. Before, they weren't being provided health insurance (they just got paid more). Because of all these new folks coming in, the rates for old folks is going up to subsidize it.
    Once again your problem is with your employer not the ACA. He is the one passing his/her responsibility onto you.

Worried about unsecure internet! C'mon man :)
    The ship of privacy sailed a long long time ago

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Once again your problem is with your employer not the ACA. He is the one passing his/her responsibility onto you.

Worried about unsecure internet! C'mon man :)
    The ship of privacy sailed a long long time ago
    Lol. Like I said, no real world experience