Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Affordable Care Act

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Wow, it is October 1 and the sun rose - no one has been enslaved YET - the death panels haven't sent anyone to Georgia yet and seems like everything is normal
    What happened -- thought today was to be THE DAY -- makes me wonder if Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin, Mark Levine and Ruch Limbaugh et al might have gotten a little hyperbolic??

Seriously:
    Rhode Island goal is 100,000 enrollees by the end of 2014.

Talked to a married couple in their early 60's last night one an independent building contractor and the other a hair stylist that looked into the exchanges and found they will save at least over $200 a month and get more coverage. Of course our state is the most saturated with insurance companies so there is competition amongst the providers to get the business. Wyoming not so much.

To say the least, this will be interesting to see how this plays out and just how long before we finally get single payer / Medicare for all
    Wait, are you from RI?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Unless you live in Wyoming , Indiana or another state where health care insurance companies are not plentiful (yet) there is no reason why your costs should be so high.
    Have you or your father investigated the tax subsidies available? Something tells me you have only brushed the surface of the programs and haven't read into the details of what is available.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...obamacare.html

Today at 9:17 AM
    7Comments

A New Yorker’s Guide to Signing Up for Obamacare

By Tim Murphy

Share on email
    LAKEWOOD, CO - DECEMBER 01: Physician's assistant Erin Frazier checks Jair Castillo, 3, at a community health center for low-income patients on December 1, 2009 in Lakewood, Colorado. The Metro Community Provider Network (MCPN), which has 11 health centers in the Denver area, has seen a 138 percent increase in patients during the last year of recession. Community health centers such as MCPN could play a major role nationally if health care reform is passed, with increased subsidies from the federal government as well as millions of newly-insured low-income citizens seeking care. (Photo by John Moore/Getty Images)

For years, Obamacare has been something of an abstraction in the public discourse. We've heard about it constantly, but only as something vague and vast looming in the future. Today that changes with the beginning of open enrollment for Obamacare health-insurance plans. This sign-up period lasts for two and a half months, with coverage kicking in on January 1. Government shutdown notwithstanding, Obamacare will almost certainly take effect on schedule, because the Affordable Care Act is paid for with non-discretionary funding (i.e., the kind that won’t be affected by the shutdown).

So ignore the current drama in Washington and bone up on everything you need to know about America's new health-care regime. For starters, keep in mind that the insurance won't be called "Obamacare" — each state has its own exchange and its own name for the program. There are even some substantial differences in terms of cost and availability within a state. For some help in figuring out the basics for residents of New York City, we chatted with Elisabeth Benjamin at Community Service Society, one of many local nonprofits paid by the federal government to help people navigate their way through the sea of new options. She helped us put together this handy Obamacare FAQ sheet:

Who's eligible for Obamacare?
    Just about everybody under 65 (after that, it's all about Medicare). But, of course, the programs will be of interest mostly to people who are not currently insured. The only subgroup not eligible for Obamacare are undocumented immigrants. But they can still use the state web portal — known officially as the New York State of Health Marketplace — to access a number of other health-care programs.

What if I already have insurance through work or school?
    You don't need to do anything — though it's probably worth paying attention anyway in case you ever need to buy coverage in the future. The exception is if you are currently paying more than 9.5 percent of your income for coverage, in which case it's worth pricing out Obamacare plans, as you will likely be eligible for financial assistance.

What if I'm already paying for individual insurance (through, say, the Freelancers Union)?
    Again, you should probably check out the Health Marketplace before you renew your current policy. While New Yorkers have long been able to purchase individual insurance regardless of age or health status, many of the plans are expensive. With this new wave of options hitting the market, you might find something more affordable — whether or not you qualify for a government subsidy (more about that below).

Okay, sounds like Obamacare might be right for me — but I'd like some bureaucratic hand-holding. Can I get some help from an actual human being?
    Call the Health Marketplace at 1-855-355-5777. Or go to an "in-person assistor" — that is, a real live person, highly knowledgeable, who will sit with you and help you identify the best health-care option. In New York City, there will be twenty locations for these helpers (find one here). Alternatively, you can contact a nonprofit group like Community Service Society (212-254-8900, enroll@cssny.org) for in-person or telephonic assistance.

How good are the policies — and what do they cost?
    As with pretty much everything else in life, what you get depends on how much you are willing to spend. There are four primary tiers of coverage under Obamacare, each represented by a precious metal. A platinum plan is, of course, more blinged out and comprehensive than a bronze plan. (There is also a bare-bones fifth plan — more about that below.) The rack price for a given plan doesn't take subsidies into account — so remember that your out-of-pocket cost might ultimately be much lower than the figures cited. In all cases, family plans are 2.85 times the cost of individual plans. Here are the numbers for New York City:

Platinum: These top-tier policies will pay 90 percent or more of all your health-care costs. In New York City, Platinum plans range from around $450 per month (for Metro Plus or HHC ) to $913 (for United). You will have no deductible and your maximum out-of-pocket health costs each year will be capped at $2,000.

Gold: Insurance will pay around 80 percent of your health costs, with a $600 deductible and maximum annual out-of-pocket expense of $4,000. The plans cost between $395 and $750.

Silver: Ranging between $360 and $635, these plans will cover 70 percent of costs with a $2,000 deductible and a $5500 maximum out of pocket. If you make less than $28,700 annually, you may qualify for subsidies on your out-of-pocket expenses.

Bronze: These will cover 60 percent of costs, with a $3,000 deductible and $6350 maximum out of pocket. In New York City, a Bronze plan costs as little as $308 per month.

Catastrophic: People up to age 30 — and certain others who get an exemption — can buy a catastrophic plan offering 50 percent coverage for $183/month (and up).

That still sounds too expensive. What about those subsidies?
    Yes, indeed. Subsidies are a huge part of the appeal of Obamacare, and many people who seek coverage will qualify. The Marketplace will assess your eligibility based on income, where you live, and immigration status. You probably won't have to provide income documentation unless the data you input is not reasonably compatible with the government wage and tax data bases. You can decide if you want to get your subsidy every month off your premium or take it as a big check at tax time.

They're not worried about fraud?
    Not really — if you claim too much of a subsidy, you'll owe Uncle Sam the difference when you file your tax returns.

How much would my subsidy be?
    First of all, with Medicaid eligibility expansion in New York State, if you make below about $15,000, you will now be eligible for Medicaid. (The current cutoff is about $11,500.) So that's a total free ride on health care, and New York State Medicaid is very good. As an individual, if you make between that and up to $46,000, you're eligible for subsidies. (Again, the figures are higher if you're looking for a family policy.) To find out just how much you'll pay, based on your income, check out this handy-dandy subsidy calculator.

Even if you don't qualify for subsidies, the Obamacare plans are still likely to be meaningfully cheaper than anything you could have gotten on the open market yesterday.

Any other perks under Obamacare?
    Yes, for one thing, under the Affordable Care Act, all plans everywhere have to cover mental health equal with physical health. That means if your plan covers 80 percent of your physical health bills, they have to cover 80 percent of your mental health bills as well. In addition, you can no longer be barred from a plan owing to a preexisting condition, age, or other factors.

What if I'm uninsured and have no desire to change that state of affairs?
    You'll list that on your 2014 tax return. The fee for not signing up for coverage is $95 per adult and $47.50 per child (up to $285 per family), or one percent of your income, whichever is higher. In 2015, that fee jumps to $325 per adult and $162.50 per child, or 2 percent of your income. While some holdouts may opt for the fee, experts predict most people will eventually sign up for insurance.
    Last edited by 57Brave; 10-01-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    When you mention tax subsidies are you just talking about deductions? And are these deductions above the line or below the line?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    from the above article:

That still sounds too expensive. What about those subsidies?
    Yes, indeed. Subsidies are a huge part of the appeal of Obamacare, and many people who seek coverage will qualify. The Marketplace will assess your eligibility based on income, where you live, and immigration status. You probably won't have to provide income documentation unless the data you input is not reasonably compatible with the government wage and tax data bases. You can decide if you want to get your subsidy every month off your premium or take it as a big check at tax time.
    ///

thethe
    I hope I don't come across smart ass here, but I have been posting this information for 2 years.
    In the case of my family, this law has no affect(?) on us until we retire a couple years down the road.
    For the time being we are keeping our current coverage

from the above article I'd add that I am pretty sure number of dependents factors into the amount of subsidy people are eligible to receive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    My father has no dependents and while he doesn't have a lot of money I doubt he falls in the income line where he is eligible for subsidies.

I don't like vague statements like many who seek coverage will qualify. Why can't there be dollar amounts?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    There are -- you have to look for them. Just like you'd shop for anything else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    There are -- you have to look for them. Just like you'd shop for anything else.
    I'd imgaine that you would just post them because you are taking up the cause as to why we are wrong in saying this is costing eveyrone more.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I am posting information.
    I know the law and it's implications only as far as it affects(?) me and mine. But seeing mis information after mis information taken as gospel I feel a responsibility to help straighten the record.
    Have been saying for over 2 years, the information is there - there is no reason intelligent people should still be ignorant of what is available to them .
    From everything I've read there is no reason anyones insurances should go up by Foxnewsian proportions. And that thethe is what you are telling me.

If I buy a new $25K Chevrolet for $35K. Who is at fault - me or chevrolet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    from above:

What if I already have insurance through work or school?
    You don't need to do anything — though it's probably worth paying attention anyway in case you ever need to buy coverage in the future. The exception is if you are currently paying more than 9.5 percent of your income for coverage, in which case it's worth pricing out Obamacare plans, as you will likely be eligible for financial assistance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I know the law and it's implications only as far as it affects(?) me and mine. But seeing mis information after mis information taken as gospel I feel a responsibility to help straighten the record.
    Have been saying for over 2 years, the information is there - there is no reason intelligent people should still be ignorant of what is available to them .
    From everything I've read there is no reason anyones insurances should go up by Foxnewsian proportions. And that thethe is what you are telling me.

All I have said is what my father told me. I really don't know how medicare works. Are there additional options to purchase? I can find out to be sure but all I know is that he was really pissed off.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    that is what the marketplace exchanges are all about. All of the insurance companies provide the different levels of coverage at competitive pricing. The example I gave this morning about my two friends -- their pricing was on the exchange compared to their current policy. And, what I think they were saying was their current policy -- the rates did go up a little

There are links above to the detailed information you and / or your father are looking for

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts

LOL... I'm just posting about me and mines. And my health care premiums are going up up up. Why? Because now I have to subsidize people in my company who weren't getting any corporate health insurance.

My premiums are doubling BECAUSE of ObamaCare.

Eventually, corporations will just pay the fine and drop everyone. And then you will really see your uninsured folks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (10-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    have you looked at dropping your companies policy and using the exchanges?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    have you looked at dropping your companies policy and using the exchanges?
    No because I'm not an idiot. My policy is incredible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    you just finished saying your premiums were doubling? How is that incredible?

Where I come from that is called cutting off your nose to spite your face

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I'd imagine that other options are even more expensive.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    you just finished saying your premiums were doubling? How is that incredible?

Where I come from that is called cutting off your nose to spite your face
    I have great coverage and pay very little premiums. However, my premiums doubled this year, and I'm sure that next week it will be doubled for next year. That's not to say I don't have a good plan, because I still do, but it's going to cost me a lot more money

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I have great coverage and pay very little premiums. However, my premiums doubled this year, and I'm sure that next week it will be doubled for next year. That's not to say I don't have a good plan, because I still do, but it's going to cost me a lot more money
    Which is ridiculous. You earned the job you have and one of the benefits of your ability and work ethic are those benefits. However, now everybody gets them. How happy a country are we now!!!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I get concerned that the more people we get in the cart, the less we have pulling it. Big picture. The government can only tax productivity, which seems anti - well ....productive.

Premiums aren't going to go down. You can't add a bunch of people to the pool without pricing for preexisting conditions and expect a decrease. Costs are rising for business and will be passed on to everyone. Then comes a minimum wage hike, which will also be passed on to consumers....just seems like chasing your tail.

I wonder once I get taxed for my " benefits " and then they happen to see a retirement account not taxed as well...
    Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The Affordable Care Act is contributing to some of the increase, but there are a lot of other reasons that insurance rates increase (pool size, risk rating, etc.). I believe that the Affordable Care Act does contribute in terms of some back-door taxes that have been implemented and I think Congress should have gone through the front door with those increases. And I say all this as someone who supports extending health insurance to the uninsured. There was a better way to get this done and I think the Senate fell prey to a lot of the corporate interests lobbying against certain aspects of the bill.