Page 51 of 93 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1858

Thread: Affordable Care Act

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    I liked the version with Bill Murray better.
    thank you weso1!

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I think Crumples and yeezie should deflect the issue off the top 1% The top 1% includes people you probably didn't realize exist in the top 1% The top 1% annual income is around 400K. That's not insanely high depending on where you live. It's high much higher than most on here earn, but it's not like the top 1% are all milliondollar a year earners. The problem is really the top 0.1% The top 0.1% controls about 22% of the nations wealth. the 99-99.9% controls 18.3. 16,000 family in the top 0.01% possess 6 trillion in assets, qhich is equal to the bottom 2/3.

Here's a fun graph

Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-05-2014), Julio3000 (05-11-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    It’s fair to say that Indiana Gov. Mike Pence has thrown Obamacare politics for a considerable loop

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/19/the_...coming_around/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Maybe this should be in the thread about the perception of the Obama Presidency? Rather than looking at the data of how this administration is functioning.

These two articles

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Hospitals in Colorado and 25 states that opted to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act treated fewer charity cases and other uninsured patients in the first quarter of 2014, according to a study released this week.
    Researchers concluded that the previously uninsured represented the lion's share of new Medicaid enrollees.

http://www.denverpost.com/News/ci_25..._hsmi=13083223

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

In other words, the uninsured rate is 22 percent lower now than it was before Obamacare. Skeptics have argued that most Obamacare enrollments are people with cancelled plans, but it's hard to ignore the fact that an estimated 11 million people gained insurance during a nationwide push to enroll people. At the very least, Obamacare helped.

http://www.thewire.com/politics/2014...-lower/372229/

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    It’s fair to say that Indiana Gov. Mike Pence has thrown Obamacare politics for a considerable loop

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/19/the_...coming_around/
    I think this is why conservatives fought this so hard so fast. The inertia was bound to swing toward greater implementation. Even as someone who supports expanded health care for the poor, I'm a bit distressed about the backdoor nature of the financing to pay for it and the dissembling about it by the bill's proponents. But I think there is just too much bedrock support to do many of the things that were contained in the Affordable Care Act to cast it all aside. I think the more conservative states in the South and West will not expand the Medicaid coverage, which is certainly their right, but the rest of the country seems to be heading toward greater acceptance of the law regardless of who is sitting in the Governor's chair or controlling the state legislature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Hospitals are obligated to treat and stabilize emergency room patients regardless of their insurance status or their ability to pay. If they can’t pay, the hospital gets stuck with the bill. Expanding the Medicaid rolls means that more people can seek out care and hospitals will have to absorb less bad debt, which could lead to lower healthcare costs overall.

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/06/gops...ot_overlooked/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    "...He even has a chart:"

Today’s Obamacare Non-Train-Wreck News

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...reck-news.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Been a month since we last looked in to see how this is or isn't working.

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/15/5898879...ontent=tuesday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Been a while since we checked in with how the ACA is working.
    There is this report:
    ///

Perhaps Rep. Tom Cotton would care to revise his statement about how Obamacare "drove up the cost of […] health insurance premiums." Cotton, running for the Senate in Arkansas, has been trying to justify his opposition to the law and his dozens of votes for repeal. But, guess what has happened to premiums in that state.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...-nbsp-Arkansas

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...oid-obamacare/

The staffing issues that hamstrung the grounds crew Tuesday during a mad dash with the tarp under a sudden rainstorm were created in part by a wide-ranging reorganization last winter of game-day personnel, job descriptions and work limits designed to keep the seasonal workers – including much of the grounds crew – under 130 hours per month, according to numerous sources with direct knowledge.

That’s the full-time worker definition under “Obamacare,” which requires employer-provided healthcare benefits for “big businesses” such as a major league team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Read last week about this debacle. Fortunatly the Cubs eventually won the game preserving the Braves standing in WC chase. This is supposedly a Major League team run by a huge corporation. And, they cut corners

///////////////////////
    This from the comments below the article

"And you wonder why it’s been over 100 years since the Cubs won a series and almost a decade since they saw 500. You get what you pay for in life. You run a cheap organization…. You get cheap results….. You pay a decent wage… You get decent returns. It’s always true in life and baseball! "
    //////////

Doesn't change the fact that slowly and despite floods of misinformation -- this thing is up = walking and helping people that previously were unable to help themselves.
    Gotta admit Sturg - kinda makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy inside

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I am not this articulate . but re-posting because to my mind this writer gets it:

You are right. That is exactly how capitalism works. Unfortunately capitalism is anti-human. Ya see labor and capitalism dont mix. The whole point of capitalism is to maximize profit by figuring out ways to create, produce, manufacture, and sell goods cheaper, which 9 times out of 10 means, somehow eliminating jobs, de-valuing (market wide lowering of wages decided upon by the .01%. not 1%, .01%), Now, assuming that every single person in the world has the capability to acquire more valuable skills until they are valuable enough to get a job that actually pays one of those things called a livable wage, this would be a freakin fantastic way to weed out all the lazt people who dont wabt to contribute to society. Only probablem is. THATS NOT HOW THE WORLD WORKS. THATS NOT HOW LIFE WORKS, THATS NOT HOW HUMAN BEINGS WORK. Not everyone can be a professional football player right? Why is that? Because he just wasnt born with the genes that would give him a body that makes him have talent for football. (obviously you have to work hard but if your 5’1 135 pounds you are not playing pro football no matter how hard you try) Anyway, I think we can all agree that is correct right? Not everyone can play football? The same goes for the game of life. Some people do not have the mental capabilities to learn said abilities, and some dont have the genetic makeup to learn the abilities no matter how hard they try. They can try over and over and over again and always fail. It’s those people that capitalism turns their back on. People like some of that ground crew. Maybe they cant handle risk and pressure because of a brain condition causing overwhelming anxiety causing them to only be able to work low level manula labor jobs. Or maybe they have a really bad defective gene that causes them to be unable to develope good people skills causing them to be unable to polotic for raises and such. As we all know a lot is who not what you know. EVERYBODY IS NOT THE SAME. EVERYONE HAS DIFFERENT TOLERANCES FOR LIFE. Why should those people who bust their ass but just cant do anything else that would pay better. There are those people out there. See people think just because they can do something everyone should be able to. I am a very successful person. Well in my own right, i comfertably take care of a family of 5. I was lucky. Im able to handle pressure better than others so being in charge of things doesnt bother me much when others it might drive crazy making their life unbearable. They do not deserve to suffer. Any person willing to work and contribute to our society should make a livable wage. (i’d say about 13 an hour here in chicago would be bare minimum to be able to survive with no kids and no help.) The problem is, until we figure out a way to convince these “Job creators” that the more people that have money means the more people that buy things, and the more people that buy your things the more money you make. In the long run there profits will match, if not increase, a;; the while more americans actuallhy get to live the american dream instead of freaking out about how they are going to feed their kids. It’s not as black and White as people think. But simple solustions dont fix complex problems. The human psyche and genome are two of the most complex things known to man and its those 2 things that determines what a persons ceiling is.. Hard work and dedication is what determines if a person reaches that ceiling. Yea some of those grounds crew could have went and learned better skills and got better jobs. But some of them couldnt. They deserve to be able to support their families too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    I am not this articulate . but re-posting because to my mind this writer gets it:

You are right. That is exactly how capitalism works. Unfortunately capitalism is anti-human. Ya see labor and capitalism dont mix. The whole point of capitalism is to maximize profit by figuring out ways to create, produce, manufacture, and sell goods cheaper, which 9 times out of 10 means, somehow eliminating jobs, de-valuing (market wide lowering of wages decided upon by the .01%. not 1%, .01%), Now, assuming that every single person in the world has the capability to acquire more valuable skills until they are valuable enough to get a job that actually pays one of those things called a livable wage, this would be a freakin fantastic way to weed out all the lazt people who dont wabt to contribute to society. Only probablem is. THATS NOT HOW THE WORLD WORKS. THATS NOT HOW LIFE WORKS, THATS NOT HOW HUMAN BEINGS WORK. Not everyone can be a professional football player right? Why is that? Because he just wasnt born with the genes that would give him a body that makes him have talent for football. (obviously you have to work hard but if your 5’1 135 pounds you are not playing pro football no matter how hard you try) Anyway, I think we can all agree that is correct right? Not everyone can play football? The same goes for the game of life. Some people do not have the mental capabilities to learn said abilities, and some dont have the genetic makeup to learn the abilities no matter how hard they try. They can try over and over and over again and always fail. It’s those people that capitalism turns their back on. People like some of that ground crew. Maybe they cant handle risk and pressure because of a brain condition causing overwhelming anxiety causing them to only be able to work low level manula labor jobs. Or maybe they have a really bad defective gene that causes them to be unable to develope good people skills causing them to be unable to polotic for raises and such. As we all know a lot is who not what you know. EVERYBODY IS NOT THE SAME. EVERYONE HAS DIFFERENT TOLERANCES FOR LIFE. Why should those people who bust their ass but just cant do anything else that would pay better. There are those people out there. See people think just because they can do something everyone should be able to. I am a very successful person. Well in my own right, i comfertably take care of a family of 5. I was lucky. Im able to handle pressure better than others so being in charge of things doesnt bother me much when others it might drive crazy making their life unbearable. They do not deserve to suffer. Any person willing to work and contribute to our society should make a livable wage. (i’d say about 13 an hour here in chicago would be bare minimum to be able to survive with no kids and no help.) The problem is, until we figure out a way to convince these “Job creators” that the more people that have money means the more people that buy things, and the more people that buy your things the more money you make. In the long run there profits will match, if not increase, a;; the while more americans actuallhy get to live the american dream instead of freaking out about how they are going to feed their kids. It’s not as black and White as people think. But simple solustions dont fix complex problems. The human psyche and genome are two of the most complex things known to man and its those 2 things that determines what a persons ceiling is.. Hard work and dedication is what determines if a person reaches that ceiling. Yea some of those grounds crew could have went and learned better skills and got better jobs. But some of them couldnt. They deserve to be able to support their families too.
    TLDR

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    You didn't miss much, unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You didn't miss much, unfortunately.
    outside of the point ?
    If you disagree with the point the writer is making , and tahat is valid, say so. But, we ask you show your math

Isn't this the same discussion the board had on Ferguson or Romney vs Obama or Middle East or ... Climate change or women's rights or LGBT rights or any other number of issues

Seems one side takes the side of Fox News commentators and the other side makes the time to read information
    Funny, not really ha-ha kinda way
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-29-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I pay ~$1200/year for health care with my employer. High deductible ($2000), but we have an Ameriflex card with $1000 on it. If something really bad happens, we can use that $1000 towards the deductible, then pay $500, to which my company will pay the next $500, and then the insurance pays for the rest. It is a phenomenal plan. Perhaps people should be more upset that their employers and their executives don't want to take any kind of pay cut (as our President, CFO, and CPO have done a few times in the past) to help out the workers that are vital to their business.

Some employers want happy and healthy employees. Some want bigger bonuses for their executives. They will give themselves 300x more than they give their average employee, saying "I'm worth this, you're only worth that." It's sad, and yet people defend this garbage.

Just because some people find a way to game the system and give themselves unlimited money doesn't mean it's right, should be allowed, or that they're "worth" that.

And our executives are still millionaires with big, beautiful houses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    And more power to them.

We (America) can have both affordable health insurance for everyone and the advantages of accomplishment.
    It is being proven every day it is do-able

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Coming up on a year and the lights are still getting turned on in the morning and the website is fixed and people that didnt have access the health care a year ago do now.

Not at all perfect
    but like so many things in life we can't let the the perfect be the enemy of the good
    Last edited by 57Brave; 09-23-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Surprise, surprise... looks like I was right in line with folks my age (I'm 25)

Link: Obamacare premiums soar as much as 78% to help cover ‘essential health benefits’

The study, which was shared Tuesday with The Washington Times, examined average health insurance premiums before the implementation of Obamacare in 2013 and then afterward in 2014. The research focused on people of three ages — 23, 30 and 63 — using data for nonsmoking men and women with no spouses or children.

Average insurance premiums in the sought-after 23-year-old demographic rose most dramatically, with men in that age group seeing an average 78.2 percent price increase before factoring in government subsidies, and women having their premiums rise 44.9 percent, according to a report by HealthPocket scheduled for release Wednesday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    " ...before factoring in government subsidies ..."