1,420 Posts
    "fair" -- ?

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    An extra 20% from you should mean it's more affordable to cover a really bad driver.
    no doubt

i know the scam of insurance
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I used to work for a law firm that represented Geico, SafeAuto, and Progressive, namely. Could tell you some stories. What an absolute racket.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-17-2015)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I used to work for a law firm that represented Geico, SafeAuto, and Progressive, namely. Could tell you some stories. What an absolute racket.
    All insurance is a racket that just continues to lead to higher prices. As cars have gotten much much cheaper to build, we haven't seen the same level of tail off that should be expected.

This leads me to a serious economical question that needs to be asked, but as someone who's primarily benefitted from Reaganomics, I probably shouldn't ask it too loudly.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    All insurance is a racket that just continues to lead to higher prices. As cars have gotten much much cheaper to build, we haven't seen the same level of tail off that should be expected.

This leads me to a serious economical question that needs to be asked, but as someone who's primarily benefitted from Reaganomics, I probably shouldn't ask it too loudly.
    Then why are they more expensive to buy ? And how is that an insurance companies fault ?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Then why are they more expensive to buy ? And how is that an insurance companies fault ?
    Artificial cost inflation. Though it's not on the scale on the car side that it is on the medical side, the added buyer of insurance allows prices to go up just a bit. Then there's also the issue of why insure something that's not worth that much? Most states have mandatory car insurance so the national scale is affected by that.

And similar to Obamacare, instead of dropping off the **** drivers, cause of states mandatory insurance coverage, you're paying for joe terrible who's been in 10 car accidents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Artificial cost inflation. Though it's not on the scale on the car side that it is on the medical side, the added buyer of insurance allows prices to go up just a bit. Then there's also the issue of why insure something that's not worth that much? Most states have mandatory car insurance so the national scale is affected by that.

And similar to Obamacare, instead of dropping off the **** drivers, cause of states mandatory insurance coverage, you're paying for joe terrible who's been in 10 car accidents.
    Well there isn't one carrier using national loss ratio so the last comment is out of LF.

They get their own ratios because different carriers target different segments of the populations. They offer prices according to losses, credit rating, and MVR. The more activity on those three, the more that customer pays. Not everyone else.

In Ga there is a law that requires state min liability limits, an then a line of coverage to make up the difference if the driver that strikes you doesn't carry it. Double whammy.

You can also choose to carry liability only so why would the cost new affect everyone's premiums? Artificially or otherwise? No one requires you to cover the vehicle except the lienholder.

I don't think you have a clue as to what you are talking about. Insurance is not driving up car prices.
    Ivermectin Man

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    And the fact that most major insurance company CEOs make $20Million + every year. I'm sure that allocation (which you KNOW starts at the beginning of their bookkeeping process) has nothing to do with their decisions on how much to charge. Plus that damn gecko is SOOOOO annoying, I actually liked the cavemen, but the gecko sucks.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Inquiring minds would like to know how insurance is a scam, cars are cheaper to build now and how insurance leads to higher prices. Do you have any idea how much cost is built into a car because of cafe standards. Govt regulation has much more to with cost than insurance. Hawk, I would like to hear some of your stories.

Would be a great day if we could get the great libertarian iron pyrite to recognize the scam of big gubment!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Well there isn't one carrier using national loss ratio so the last comment is out of LF.

They get their own ratios because different carriers target different segments of the populations. They offer prices according to losses, credit rating, and MVR. The more activity on those three, the more that customer pays. Not everyone else.

In Ga there is a law that requires state min liability limits, an then a line of coverage to make up the difference if the driver that strikes you doesn't carry it. Double whammy.

You can also choose to carry liability only so why would the cost new affect everyone's premiums? Artificially or otherwise? No one requires you to cover the vehicle except the lienholder.

I don't think you have a clue as to what you are talking about. Insurance is not driving up car prices.
    If there's a buyer out there, who's potentially driving up costs of replacement, either through the ability to be scalped pretty easy (insurance companies in my experience are like the government, they'd rather buy from someone they know than shop around) or it does create more of a buyer scarcity.

THey have different ways of doing it, but some states have mandatory insurance, an insurance company cannot refuse insurance and IIRC in some states there's like max fees based on coverage too, the latter I'm less sure about. I think Iread that somewhere but I could be remembering that incorrectly.

Riddle me this tapate, I know the answer but lets see if you do. I moved from NJ to NH, I have the exact same coverage with the exact same company, why is my insurance so much cheaper in NH than NJ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    I
    If there's a buyer out there, who's potentially driving up costs of replacement, either through the ability to be scalped pretty easy (insurance companies in my experience are like the government, they'd rather buy from someone they know than shop around) or it does create more of a buyer scarcity.

THey have different ways of doing it, but some states have mandatory insurance, an insurance company cannot refuse insurance and IIRC in some states there's like max fees based on coverage too, the latter I'm less sure about. I think Iread that somewhere but I could be remembering that incorrectly.

Riddle me this tapate, I know the answer but lets see if you do. I moved from NJ to NH, I have the exact same coverage with the exact same company, why is my insurance so much cheaper in NH than NJ?
    Because they have factors based on where you live and operate the vehicle. Same reason I can move to Atlanta and my coverage is more expensive. Basically if I drive in downtown Atl every day, I'm more likely to hit someone or vice versa than say rural farm country.

Very little of what you posted in response to me was based in any truth. Sorry. The assigned risk pool is for commercial customers in Ga, not personal auto. There are companies out there pricing folks with DUIs and reckless driving but you gotta pay for it... Progressive, Geico, etc... But standard companies won't accept that type of business, and their prices are much lower.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I

Because they have factors based on where you live and operate the vehicle. Same reason I can move to Atlanta and my coverage is more expensive. Basically if I drive in downtown Atl every day, I'm more likely to hit someone or vice versa than say rural farm country.

Very little of what you posted in response to me was based in any truth. Sorry. The assigned risk pool is for commercial customers in Ga, not personal auto. There are companies out there pricing folks with DUIs and reckless driving but you gotta pay for it... Progressive, Geico, etc... But standard companies won't accept that type of business, and their prices are much lower.
    No there are states that require companies to offer someone insurance regardless of how bad they are. It is state to state, so Georgia may not be one of those. IIRC NJ is a state with assigned risk for personal drivers. Been awhile since I"ve paid attention to car insurance, it's a racket but a necessary evil type of racket. Wonder when we'll start seeing extended warranties bundled into car insurance, that has to be coming right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    No there are states that require companies to offer someone insurance regardless of how bad they are. It is state to state, so Georgia may not be one of those. IIRC NJ is a state with assigned risk for personal drivers. Been awhile since I"ve paid attention to car insurance, it's a racket but a necessary evil type of racket. Wonder when we'll start seeing extended warranties bundled into car insurance, that has to be coming right?
    Wouldn't think so. Not sure companies want any part of insuring against ****ty workmanship.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Wouldn't think so. Not sure companies want any part of insuring against ****ty workmanship.
    Well I'm thinking you have special shops that specially Geico certified or whatever and you have to go there for repairs. I'm not sure they'll do it cause it's probably cost prohibitive that not enough people will sign up for it. Just wondering if that's next.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Well I'm thinking you have special shops that specially Geico certified or whatever and you have to go there for repairs. I'm not sure they'll do it cause it's probably cost prohibitive that not enough people will sign up for it. Just wondering if that's next.
    Progressive already has "blue ribbon" service centers. All that means is the shop gives them a deal on labor and parts in return for the referral I think. They do have more warranty on parts if you use them I think. Doesn't cost anything or raise the rate though.

And you don't ever have to use a shop they recommend, ever. You can use any shop you want as long as their labor rate is somewhere in the acceptible range ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Not surprising. Those carriers are referred to as "non standard" auto carriers because they will take anyone. they don't have the best practices and coverage is thin . Standard carriers are the way to go unless you don't have any other options bc of driving record.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    no doubt

i know the scam of insurance
    interesting take.

Requiring people to carry liability is actually a great idea. Let's say someone plows into you and hurts you very badly. $55,000 total claim ( 25 for the car, 30 for bills) How many drivers have this laying around without going bankrupt to fix your car and med bills?

I'd wager very few. They would file bankruptcy and you wouldn't see a dime. It would be you out that sum...for you that may not make a dent but most it would be crippling.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Not surprising. Those carriers are referred to as "non standard" auto carriers because they will take anyone. they don't have the best practices and coverage is thin . Standard carriers are the way to go unless you don't have any other options bc of driving record.
    And the above is why some peoples HC policies cost more after ACA.
    It put in place , for the first time, a system of standardizing HC packages .
    Among other things

I don't get how people don't get that.
    I get why just not how

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Cecile Richards ‏@CecileRichards 1h1 hour ago

In the 1st yr of the #ACA birth control benefit, women saved $483 million. That's not "masquerading" as anything - it's #progress. #CPAC
    0 replies 28 retweets 30 favorites

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Just my opinion, but I believe true progress would be working toward lowering the cost of birth control itself without continuing to support the extortionate costs of Health Care and padding Big Pharma's pockets with taxpayer dollars.