Thread: Affordable Care Act

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Again, your sense of victim hood (entitlement ?? ) is lame
    I would love to see how me saying I didn't have a "leg up" to get where I am today is a sense of entitlement.

Me thinks you don't have a clue what an entitlement is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I would first say the states not having to enroll in Medicaid (?) expansion was a factor and would add insurance companies taking advantage where I feel certain they made promises that weren't kept. Plus insurance goes up. Car insurance, house insurance, the insurance on my instruments ... everything. Another discussion fo another day

I later wrote I hope you never are one of those "emotion stories". That **** is real. This is not a 3 AM dorm room discussion or an abstraction of the perils of "government" this is a law that saved peoples lives

People that never had access to affordable HC were able to have affordable HC so naturally the insurance rolls increased. Last number I heard was 20M. So have no idea what your are talking about people losing HC.

As before I will tell you, if your 79% number was a real issue, rampant, you and your friends would have been on Fox every night or testifying before congress the multitudes of times it came up for repeal.

CBO estimated 20-30M will go without. For no reason
    Alexander / Murray ?

I don't think you ever put that 79% number in context. What were your premiums before ACA and what October of 2013 when you first floated that number.

and what did you have to give up by paying those higher premiums? Like did you miss meals or couldn't afford cloths any longer ?
    Just asking
    "Insurance goes up" is not an answer.

By increasing the pool of applicants... insurance should go down. That is why companies can pay less than individuals. This is very basic.

But of course that didn't happen with ACA because they threw a mandate on buying it and then demanded that pre-existing be covered. Thus, incentivizing people NOT to get insurance until they actually need it - which drives the costs up for the rest of us. They didn't make HC more affordable, I don't know why you keep saying that. Every data point in the world shows that HC prices went up.

You have shown time and time and time and time again that you have zero grasp of simple supply/demand economics and how subsidies cause prices to go up. I really hope you and your ilk aren't in charge of solving these problems, because every time the government gets more involved, things get worse.

I don't remember how much I was paying in premiums in 2013. I remember they nearly doubled after the passage of the law, simply because the company was forced to include a basic plan to help cover part time and contractors. You can scoff at that if you wish - and you have for years now - but I can't for the life of me understand how you can take that data and either a) accuse me of lying about it, or b) accuse me of not understanding how the system works

You mocked me and many others back then when our premiums went up under (D). Now you will screech about rising premiums under (R). It's so old and so pathetic how you can be such a partisan hack about every little issue.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (10-14-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Why do you default that I don't support "helping others"

If ACA is a disaster, and I support eliminating the disaster, that is by definition a desire to help others.

The left wanting to double down on failed policy is exactly the opposite.

We have different definitions of helping people. I'd prefer to help others help themselves, while you and 57 insist on the state baby sitting cradle to crave, no matter the cost in liberty to others.
    Arthur Lynch‏Verified account @alynch1788 21h21 hours ago

Arthur Lynch Retweeted Boston.com

After I was cut by the Falcons, I was dropped from @NFL insurance. My back was broken w/ no insurance. I had two back surgeries. Obamacare is why I am not in debt. This is sad. @BarackObama thank you.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    What it means for you: the administration’s “cost sharing reduction” funding cuts

We’re about two weeks away from the start of Open Enrollment when people can sign up for coverage through HealthCare.gov, Covered California or one of the other state exchanges. And even though November 1 is just around the corner, the administration just last week announced they would stop funding Cost Sharing Reductions. While President Trump’s decision will have bad effects, for most people who already have health insurance through HealthCare.gov or who are thinking about getting covered, this doesn’t change anything. But it’s no wonder people are confused, so here’s what the Trump administration did and what it means for you.

“Cost-sharing reductions” is just a fancy way of talking about the help many people get to lower their deductibles and out of pocket costs for things like prescription drugs or doctor visits. So if you qualify, which depends on how much you make each year, insurers are required to lower your out-of-pocket costs by making payments to the doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, or other providers you visit so you pay less. What do these savings mean for how much you pay? Well, your annual deductible can go from thousands of dollars to a few hundred — or even less.

This cost sharing help for consumers will continue: insurers are required to provide it under the Affordable Care Act. What President Trump announced last week is that the federal government will no longer reimburse insurers for the cost of providing this assistance, as it’s supposed to do. Of course, insurers won’t provide the assistance for free, so what they’ll do instead is raise premiums to cover the cost. But because President Trump has been threatening to cut off these payments for months, in most states, this has already happened. That is, the marketplace rates you’ve been hearing about for the past few months mostly already take into account this change.

If you qualify for tax credits that lower your monthly premiums — and 8 out of 10 people do — the amount of financial assistance you receive will increase dollar for dollar as much as your rates are increasing because of the change. That’s because the Affordable Care Act was designed to protect people from the unexpected — not just from accidents but from rate increases too. Because of the protections that are in place, if you qualify for financial help, you’re protected against any rate increase from your insurer due to the consequences of the president’s actions.

In fact, for some people, the rate increases related to cost sharing reductions will lead to bargain prices this year, after financial assistance. That’s because in most states, the administration’s decision not to pay cost sharing is only increasing premiums for Silver plans, the plans for which cost sharing help is available. Because ACA tax credits are calculated based on Silver plan prices, that means tax credits may increase more than Gold plan (or Bronze) plan prices.

Here’s what this means for you.

What if you qualify for financial help? If you qualify for extra savings with the Cost Sharing Reductions that lower your out of pocket costs, it’s probably still smart to pick the silver plan. But if you only qualify for tax credits to reduce your monthly premiums but not cost sharing reductions, you might be able to get a better deal by switching to a Gold plan. Gold plans have lower deductibles, so they normally have higher premiums. But this year, for people eligible for financial assistance, Gold plans will often be cheaper than Silver plans.

What if you don’t qualify for financial help? The answer’s the same: you should shop. If you already have coverage, go back to HealthCare.gov, make sure your income is right and look at your plan choices. In many states, Gold plan and Bronze plan premiums are increasing a lot less than for Silver plans. So even for people who don’t qualify for financial assistance, Silver plans could be more expensive than Gold plans even though Gold plans cover more for less money. For some who don’t qualify for financial help, the decisions made by the administration will mean you could end up paying more than last year — but make sure you shop, see what your options are.

This can all be confusing. But here’s the bottom line: no matter what your income is, it’s even more important than normal this year that you shop around for coverage. Because of all the disruption and changes caused by the administration’s action, plan prices are changing a lot more than usual, and you could miss a bargain — or get stuck paying too much — if you don’t check out all your options.

Don’t tackle this all by yourself. If you need expert help, it’s available. You can call the HealthCare.gov hotline at 1–800–318–2596 to speak to a trained professional or visit http://localhelp.healthcare.gov for in-person help or you can go ahead and make an appointment here.

for charts and graphs:
    https://medium.com/get-america-cover...s-88da80cfd590
    Last edited by 57Brave; 10-16-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    "Insurance goes up" is not an answer.
    well, it does -and you asked why -- that was a part of the why that has to be taken into account. Random incremental raises in rates. Again, why ask the question if you already know the answer ?

By increasing the pool of applicants... insurance should go down. That is why companies can pay less than individuals. This is very basic.
    should ?

But of course that didn't happen with ACA because they threw a mandate on buying it and then demanded that pre-existing be covered. Thus, incentivizing people NOT to get insurance until they actually need it - which drives the costs up for the rest of us. They didn't make HC more affordable, I don't know why you keep saying that. Every data point in the world shows that HC prices went up.
    demanding pre-existing is kinda the main point. Many feel that is not a privledge

You have shown time and time and time and time again that you have zero grasp of simple supply/demand economics and how subsidies cause prices to go up. I really hope you and your ilk aren't in charge of solving these problems, because every time the government gets more involved, things get worse.
    blah-blah blah balh --- blah
    As far as being a party hack. Teddy Roosevelt first proposed HC and I thought Ted Kennedy was foolish fo not taking Nixons offer.
    There have been no (R) proposals that would cover people as well as (D) proposals. Maybe cause (R) has no proposals. Except "don't get sick"

I don't remember how much I was paying in premiums in 2013. I remember they nearly doubled after the passage of the law, simply because the company was forced to include a basic plan to help cover part time and contractors. You can scoff at that if you wish - and you have for years now - but I can't for the life of me understand how you can take that data and either a) accuse me of lying about it, or b) accuse me of not understanding how the system works
    That is kinda the point. If you were paying $10 a month and your premiums rose to $15 a month you had a 50% increase. If you were paying $500 a month and your premiums rose 50% off the bat that is quite a difference. Between $60 per year and $3000 per year. That is context. Whether your are crying about a paltry sum or a significant sum

You mocked me and many others back then when our premiums went up under (D). Now you will screech about rising premiums under (R). It's so old and so pathetic how you can be such a partisan hack about every little issue.
    I am now and have been concerned people get health care. All people

Like I said, let's all hope none of us are in a position where this piece of the safety net is a need
    Last edited by 57Brave; 10-16-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    First, understand what this order is not. It neither takes anyone’s insurance away nor removes protections for people with pre-existing conditions.

What it does is allow small businesses that band together to buy group insurance plans to be treated the same way as big companies are today. That includes the ability to buy insurance across state lines, and an exemption from some of Obamacare’s expensive mandated benefits. Plans might offer fewer benefits, but they could cost a lot less.

Individuals within a company still can’t be charged more or denied coverage because of their health, but companies with healthier work forces could receive lower overall premiums. And purchasing insurance across state lines challenges the power of the insurance cartel’s monopoly power in some states.

This executive order should be considered separately from the administration’s effort to stop paying price stabilization subsidies to insurance companies. In that case, the administration is essentially complying with a federal court ruling that the subsidies were illegal. Yes, if the subsidies stop it could further destabilize insurance markets, but that was starting to happen anyway.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (10-17-2017), Tapate50 (10-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    First, understand what this order is not. It neither takes anyone’s insurance away nor removes protections for people with pre-existing conditions.

What it does is allow small businesses that band together to buy group insurance plans to be treated the same way as big companies are today. That includes the ability to buy insurance across state lines, and an exemption from some of Obamacare’s expensive mandated benefits. Plans might offer fewer benefits, but they could cost a lot less.

Individuals within a company still can’t be charged more or denied coverage because of their health, but companies with healthier work forces could receive lower overall premiums. And purchasing insurance across state lines challenges the power of the insurance cartel’s monopoly power in some states.

This executive order should be considered separately from the administration’s effort to stop paying price stabilization subsidies to insurance companies. In that case, the administration is essentially complying with a federal court ruling that the subsidies were illegal. Yes, if the subsidies stop it could further destabilize insurance markets, but that was starting to happen anyway.
    No no no... people will DIE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    " Obamacare’s expensive mandated benefits. "

I believe in real life those are called pre-existing conditions. Without qualification

No, they shouldn't be separated at all.
    Or is this more of that hate what he says but like what he does nonsense ?
    They are one in the same.
    In English ?

His health care policy
    Last edited by 57Brave; 10-17-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    " Obamacare’s expensive mandated benefits. "

I believe in real life those are called pre-existing conditions. Without qualification
    First line. It even says "First" to let you know to read that part...first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    First line. It even says "First" to let you know to read that part...first.
    You are not even trying

https://www.google.com/search?q=+pre....0.R0hGfXEsETs

did you really quote yourself ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    You are not even trying

https://www.google.com/search?q=+pre....0.R0hGfXEsETs

did you really quote yourself ?
    I was quoting USA Today

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...tes/106692174/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    my point :)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Did he who quoth Daily Kos really just try to slide in a source jab?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-19-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Perhaps you look at Daily Kos once in a while you wouldnt be so easily blind sided by current events !

I'm here for you Hawk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Andy Slavitt‏Verified account @ASlavitt

BREAKING: McConnell says he will bring Alexander-Murray to the floor if Trump says he will sign it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Brookings‏Verified account @BrookingsInst 1m1 minute ago

ACA premium increases are expected to go up more than they would have absent interference from the Trump admin

http://brook.gs/2yQIKXm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Brookings‏Verified account @BrookingsInst 1m1 minute ago

ACA premium increases are expected to go up more than they would have absent interference from the Trump admin

http://brook.gs/2yQIKXm
    Why would we care about rising premiums now if we didn't in 2011?