Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball America Midseason Top 100

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Prospect fatigue is something that should afflict fans only; it should not affect people who are paid to do this.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

4maddux_cy's (07-07-2017), CyYoung31 (07-07-2017), jpx7 (07-07-2017)

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    After adding in Luis Robert and adjusting, the "scores" for each org (where the #1 prospect gets 100 points, #2 gets 99, etc, I gave 100 and 101 1 point since I'd already started when the Robert addition came in):

1. Braves: 532
    2. Yankees: 330
    3. White Sox: 305
    4. Astros: 302
    5. Rays: 272
    6. Indians: 241
    7. Padres: 237
    8. Blue Jays: 230
    9. Phillies: 222
    10. Cardinals: 219
    11. Dodgers: 218
    12. Brewers: 217
    13. Reds: 205
    14. Pirates: 177
    15. Rockies: 166
    16. Athletics: 156
    17. Mets: 148
    18. Twins: 144
    19. Nationals: 130
    20. Red Sox: 114
    21. Cubs: 114
    22. Tigers: 91
    23. Orioles: 74
    24. Rangers: 67
    25. Mariners: 56
    26. Diamondbacks: 33
    27. Giants: 15
    28. Angels: 3
    29. Marlins: 0
    30. Royals: 0

4. The Following User Says Thank You to praeceps93 For This Useful Post:

WaitingFor2017 (07-07-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Crazy that the Yanks loaded up by trading two relievers. sigh

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Any takers on Johnson and Vizcaino?

They obviously won't fetch anything close to Andrew Miller and Aroldis Chapman, but I'd like to see them moved by the end of the month.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingFor2017 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-07-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,740 Posts
    We still have to field bullpen next year. The team can only pull so many Jose Ramierezs out of thin air. Also wouldn't mind sticking it to the Nationals by not helping the supply to their bullpen demand. If another GM is willing to do something stupid I am all for it but I want real prospects and not trash.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...1IHQODle3d6.97

Preseason ranking in parenthesis:

Acuna 10 (67)
    Allard 23 (37)
    Albies 25 (11)
    Soroka 33 (48)
    Wright 41 (NR)
    Newcomb 42 (78)
    Anderson 54 (66)
    Maitan 71 (77)
    Gohara 75 (NR)
    Albies and Wright are too low, Anderson is too high, but I generally agree with this. The system might be even better now than when Swanson was part of it, and that's insane to think about.

FG's will come out after the trade deadline when all prospect movement is finalized. Longenhagen is the best in the public sphere, and I expect he will have something like this:

Albies 10-15
    Acuna 15-20
    Wright 15-20
    Allard/Soroka/Gohara 20-50
    Maitan 40-50
    Anderson/Pache Top 100 back half

So the best prospect ranking will have 7 Braves in the Top 50, and another 2 in the Top 100. Maybe a 10th if Newcomb is still on his list.

Definitely worth a circle jerk. Let's just hope they don't screw it up by being buyers at the deadline.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-07-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Albies and Wright are too low, Anderson is too high, but I generally agree with this. The system might be even better now than when Swanson was part of it, and that's insane to think about.

FG's will come out after the trade deadline when all prospect movement is finalized. Longenhagen is the best in the public sphere, and I expect he will have something like this:

Albies 10-15
    Acuna 15-20
    Wright 15-20
    Allard/Soroka/Gohara 20-50
    Maitan 40-50
    Anderson/Pache Top 100 back half

So the best prospect ranking will have 7 Braves in the Top 50, and another 2 in the Top 100.

Definitely worth a circle jerk. Let's just hope they don't screw it up by being buyers at the deadline.
    Wait, I was supposed to wait for the rest of you guys. oops.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (07-07-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    We still have to field bullpen next year. The team can only pull so many Jose Ramierezs out of thin air. Also wouldn't mind sticking it to the Nationals by not helping the supply to their bullpen demand. If another GM is willing to do something stupid I am all for it but I want real prospects and not trash.
    If it were me I'd keep Johnson to be a cheap closer this year and next year and trade Viz before the deadline. Throwing guys like Minter, Morris, Dirks, Winkler, and Lindgren next year will help if you have a reliable albeit unspectactular closer at the end.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Redditor posted this:

"One of the staff from BA said this is the comments
    "The main concern cited about Albies is his big splits. He is .268/.323/.404 hitting lefthanded compared to .371/.394/.584 batting righthanded. There were a some flags for evaluators in his lefthanded swing which they felt would prevent him from consistently having a big impact against RHPs in the majors.
    At the same time, we're still talking about one of the top 25 prospects in all of baseball and a future everyday contributor. He's an exceptional talent, and that is reflected in his lofty ranking that puts him in the top .001 percent of all prospects."

Now, I would say that is somewhat consistent with the comments Chipper made about Albies earlier in the season. Said he was not ready and had things he needed to work on. It appears that his left handed batting is the thing that Chipper has worked with him on and seems like it has had a positive effect.

Letting Albies continue to work that out in AAA with instruction might be a good plan. I think its looking increasingly less likely the Braves trade away much at deadline, though Phillips is still la relatively easy move to make given the Braves have Camargo and Rodriguez and Peterson available even without calling up Ozzie.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-07-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    If it were me I'd keep Johnson to be a cheap closer this year and next year and trade Viz before the deadline. Throwing guys like Minter, Morris, Dirks, Winkler, and Lindgren next year will help if you have a reliable albeit unspectactular closer at the end.
    his injury wasn't exactly well timed.

If Atlanta is now in let's definitely try to win in 2018 mode, and they mean it a little bit more than they did in 2017, you might as well hang on to Viz as a set up man.

The offense figures to cap out below great, and the rotation probably isn't going to be great, but Atlanta could make up ground with an excellent pen and bench, I suppose.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    his injury wasn't exactly well timed.

If Atlanta is now in let's definitely try to win in 2018 mode, and they mean it a little bit more than they did in 2017, you might as well hang on to Viz as a set up man.

The offense figures to cap out below great, and the rotation probably isn't going to be great, but Atlanta could make up ground with an excellent pen and bench, I suppose.
    Third year in a row we've had a valuable reliever go down before the deadline -- Viz last year and Grilli the year before. Just brutal luck.

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    I think our future pen actually has crazy good options. Winkler looked really good pre injury; Lindgren was a top Yanks prospect as a closer before TJS. Morris has been throwing pretty well in the upper minors, as has Caleb Dirks. And then there's Minter, who's one of the top relief prospects in the game. And those are just the current RP in the system, without accounting for our MiLB starters that will eventually move to the pen. If we can get anything out of our current MLB bullpen, might as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps93 View Post
    I think our future pen actually has crazy good options. Winkler looked really good pre injury; Lindgren was a top Yanks prospect as a closer before TJS. Morris has been throwing pretty well in the upper minors, as has Caleb Dirks. And then there's Minter, who's one of the top relief prospects in the game. And those are just the current RP in the system, without accounting for our MiLB starters that will eventually move to the pen. If we can get anything out of our current MLB bullpen, might as well.
    I approve of this post.
    Ivermectin Man

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I know relievers aren't included blah blah blah but I refuse to believe that there are 100 better prospects than a healthy Minter.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    I know relievers aren't included blah blah blah but I refuse to believe that there are 100 better prospects than a healthy Minter.
    being able to stay healthy matters, he didn't show he could do that in college, he was treated with kid gloves last year and missed most of this year with an injury.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps93 View Post
    I do as well. You could even see guys like Watts, Webb, Clouse, Biddle, and Johnson Mullins etc from the over 22 crowd in Florida and MS.

I just don't think we'll have an all rookie pen next year, and veteran relievers got paid last year in Free agency.

You could decide to trade a guy like Johnson for postional player prospects this year and then trade pitching prospects for another late inning arm in the offseason as a form of prospect shuffling, but regardless we're going to have a vet or two in the back end of the pen.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I've seen a couple people think Anderson is too high --- I tend to think people still discount him due to pre-draft rankings --- but he's a pretty young projectable kid with a 3.04 FIP and a 11.43 K/9 rate, his BABIP is chilling at .363; the walks are too high right now, but there's a lot to like with what he's done this year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I've seen a couple people think Anderson is too high --- I tend to think people still discount him due to pre-draft rankings --- but he's a pretty young projectable kid with a 3.04 FIP and a 11.43 K/9 rate, his BABIP is chilling at .363; the walks are too high right now, but there's a lot to like with what he's done this year.
    Anderson's been really good. The BB's are high, but they almost always are for guys this early in their career. Not concerned about that, the K rate is great to see.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I could be talked into him being a 50-60 guy. He is clearly behind the Braves Top 6 though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I do as well. You could even see guys like Watts, Webb, Clouse, Biddle, and Johnson Mullins etc from the over 22 crowd in Florida and MS.

I just don't think we'll have an all rookie pen next year, and veteran relievers got paid last year in Free agency.

You could decide to trade a guy like Johnson for postional player prospects this year and then trade pitching prospects for another late inning arm in the offseason as a form of prospect shuffling, but regardless we're going to have a vet or two in the back end of the pen.
    I think that's right. Braves might not be all in on 2018 but everything suggests they intend to try for wild card.

I'm for big returns on relievers if you can get it but they definitely are not walking into the season with nothing but injury prone young-ins in the pen.

On the other hand I'm not quite sure where they spend their free salary if they don't pay big on 3b. So maybe a pricy reliever or two happens.