Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where would we be......

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    I hope you are right with Swanson but I'm growing increasingly concerned that we called him up too soon and ruined him.
    That's not why he wouldn't be good.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,867 Posts
    All we know is Swanson has been terrible both on offense and defense. It's highly possible that Swanson is a bust and if you signed him to a long term deal the franchise would just have a bad contract on its books for 6-7 years.
    That is incorrect

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    That's not why he wouldn't be good.
    Maybe your right. Maybe he just sucks.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    That is incorrect
    Ok terrible on defense is a bit of an exaggeration but 15 errors in the first half is pretty bad.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,867 Posts
    Ok terrible on defense is a bit of an exaggeration but 15 errors in the first half is pretty bad.
    There is more to defense than just errors but yeah the errors hurt. He has shown plus range and is good at turning two. Sadly those errors have taken what would a good defender at short to merely average. That does bode well for the future though as I feel he will settle down with the errors while still having good range, etc.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Of course not. But Dansby has been bad this year, period. Camargo has already put up 0.5 fWAR (coming into today, which will surely go up)... Where Swanson has put up 0.1 for the season. Just a dreadful showing this year, unfortunately
    He's been bad offensively, yes, but has seemed to make some improvements at the big-league level, which is all I'm really looking for at this point. I think his defense will actually be quite good, with more reps.

I just find it ironic, because when I said back in May that not only Swanson's statistics, but his appearance at the plate, meant that we might need to temper our expectations about exactly how high his ceiling was, my comments were lumped into the "just another typical expression of nega-Brave hatred of the new regime and all its moves" domain and/or met with "still butthurt about Heyward, huh?". Now Camargo comes up with a fire first 100 PA and quite a few of those same posters are saying the Braves should dangle Swanson to other teams so Camargo can be the future SS.

It's why I am, at times, sympathetic when Enscheff harangues against the wild fickleness of the "pozzies".
    Last edited by jpx7; 07-10-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."