Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First data for Freeman's defense at 3b

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is precisely why the "eye test" is such a terrible way to judge defenders. Hell, we just had a poster in this very thread say, "I haven't seen him get any plays", and then proceed to question these defensive numbers. He was using the eye test...yet hasn't even SEEN any of the plays in question.
    I mean, sure, that's one way of interpreting what I said. It's wrong, but god bless you anyways.

Please enjoy the rest of your afternoon yelling at the clouds.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 07-10-2017 at 04:00 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I've got quite a bit of bias into my "eye test" observations, but to me he looks slow and awkward at 3B. He has made some routine plays, but I thought he looked less than fluid in doing it.

The Astros game with the doubles --- I think some most 3B would have had a better reaction to, though I'm not sure if they'd have made the play.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I mean, sure, that's one way of interpreting what I said. It's wrong, but god bless you anyways.

Please enjoy the rest of your afternoon yelling at the clouds.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-11-2017), Tapate50 (07-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    what everyone seems to be ignoring is that Freeman now qualifies at 3B in fantasy and that is by far the most important thing here

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (07-11-2017), JohnAdcox (07-11-2017), Julio3000 (07-11-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (07-10-2017), NinersSBChamps (07-10-2017)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    what everyone seems to be ignoring is that Freeman now qualifies at 3B in fantasy and that is by far the most important thing here
    Coppolella is making bank off his fantasy team and will reinvest it into the Braves so we can afford Mike Trout.
    Last edited by Managuarantano's Volunteers; 07-10-2017 at 05:47 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-11-2017), Julio3000 (07-11-2017), nsacpi (07-10-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    This is an extremely small sample, so it doesn't show much one way or the other, but it does support what is obvious - Freeman is going to be atrocious at 3B.

I actually think a -40 number is possible and -20 is also possible but optimistic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post
    Coppolella is making bank off his fantasy team and will reinvest it into the Braves so we can afford Mike Trout.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think it was very easy to see in the first game that Freeman would not be able to be a serviceable 3B. On the double hit down the line, I thought most third basemen would have gotten. It looked like FF was guarding the line and still couldn't get there.

I'm not sure FF could play there if the Braves had an elite SS and elite LF much less with Swanson and Kemp out there. (I'm not saying Swanson is as bad as Kemp either. Just not elite.)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    This is why I can't stand the idiotic argument folks make when they say "he catches what he gets to", as if that's all it takes to be a competent defender.

If his range is so limited he can't get to much of anything, he is a terrible defender.

This is precisely why the "eye test" is such a terrible way to judge defenders. Hell, we just had a poster in this very thread say, "I haven't seen him get any plays", and then proceed to question these defensive numbers. He was using the eye test...yet hasn't even SEEN any of the plays in question.

It is comical how bad fans are at judging defense. No wonder they have no idea how to value it. Unfortunately, the Braves FO doesn't seem to be much better.
    It's the same argument for Kemp. He catches what he gets to.

Neither guy is falling down or looking lost like gattis or Adams in LF. Both are terrible unless we have some amazing data that positions them in exactly the right place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,699 Posts
    So far has the run production of having Adams and FF out there exceeded the runs given up?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (07-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorbackBrave View Post
    I think it was very easy to see in the first game that Freeman would not be able to be a serviceable 3B. On the double hit down the line, I thought most third basemen would have gotten. It looked like FF was guarding the line and still couldn't get there.

I'm not sure FF could play there if the Braves had an elite SS and elite LF much less with Swanson and Kemp out there. (I'm not saying Swanson is as bad as Kemp either. Just not elite.)
    He reacted very slowly to that double. I think Camargo would knock it down and keep the ball in the infield.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    3b could still be a nice option in the future on a limited basis. Versatility is always helpful. Not sure our manager would take advantage of it though.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    He reacted very slowly to that double. I think Camargo would knock it down and keep the ball in the infield.
    I don't think any 3B could get that one. It was hit very hard and landed a few feet fowl after crossing over the bag. FF might have been slow to react, but I don't think JO-gun gets to that one either.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I don't think any 3B could get that one. It was hit very hard and landed a few feet fowl after crossing over the bag. FF might have been slow to react, but I don't think JO-gun gets to that one either.
    Which is why the "eye test" is useless and has been replaced with defensive metrics.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    So far has the run production of having Adams and FF out there exceeded the runs given up?
    That's a really good question. The exercise is short term anyway, just to showcase Adams.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

Chico (07-11-2017)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Obviously, he's going to be terrible at 3B. We all know that. To what degree is the question. But, using this limited of a data set is pretty dumb.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Chico (07-11-2017), clvclv (07-11-2017), mfree80 (07-11-2017), Tapate50 (07-11-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Can't see the genius' posts, but I'm guessing sample size only makes a difference when it fits your point, right???

We all know he's not a 3B, this makes you "smart"??? Might oughta get back to dealing cards.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Which is why the "eye test" is useless and has been replaced with defensive metrics.
    Do they have individual plays marked yet? I wasn't saying my eyes are better than metric. We were just debating a particular play. I would be interested to see if that one play was marked as a 3 star or 5 star attempt.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Can't see the genius' posts, but I'm guessing sample size only makes a difference when it fits your point, right???

We all know he's not a 3B, this makes you "smart"??? Might oughta get back to dealing cards.
    LOL, how's that blog coming? Have you penned any more insightful articles about the Braves going with a 24 man roster, or them already trading Garcia? How about some more trade scenarios where the Braves get an Ace for 3-4 spare parts? Maybe you can explain to us again how Wilser and Folty are equivalent pitchers?

It's hilarious being criticized by the dumbest poster on these boards haha!
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-11-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Which shows us that you obviously didn't see the play. There's not a 3B in baseball that gets a glove on that ball unless they're standing on the line.