Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First data for Freeman's defense at 3b

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts

First data for Freeman's defense at 3b

The first data for Freeman's defense at 3B is in...and it ain't pretty. Small sample caveats obviously apply but:

BRef: -39 runs per year
    FG: -89 runs per 150 games

So....yeah. It's pretty damn bad.

So far, it's even worse than the -20 I expected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Don't remember many opportunities for him

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Don't remember many opportunities for him
    That's because the "eye test" is terrible at picking up plays that weren't even attempted due to lack of range.

These metrics are less about making errors on balls hit right at guys, and more about guys making the non-routine plays. If an average defender at 3B makes 50% of the non-routine plays, and Freeman makes 0% of them, that's a huge hit to his defensive value.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    How much is his one error hampering those numbers. I haven't watched every game.. but has there really been many balls that could have even been up for debate?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    How much is his one error hampering those numbers. I haven't watched every game.. but has there really been many balls that could have even been up for debate?
    Again, these metrics are less about making errors on balls hit right at guys, and more about guys making the non-routine plays. If an average defender at 3B makes 50% of the non-routine plays, and Freeman makes 0% of them, that's a huge hit to his defensive value.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Again, these metrics are less about making errors on balls hit right at guys, and more about guys making the non-routine plays. If an average defender at 3B makes 50% of the non-routine plays, and Freeman makes 0% of them, that's a huge hit to his defensive value.
    While I anticipate that the trend will hold and Freeman will prove to be this bad at 3B, it's probably not enough data to go on yet.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-11-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Right, but does it give how many chances. I understand the SSS caveat.. But this seems Super SSS.. I can think of one right now that might have been in question.. (double down the line)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Granted I haven't watched every inning but I can't recall a single ball hit to him yet except a pop up (which he caught).

I would draw exactly negative seven conclusions from this data.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Granted I haven't watched every inning but I can't recall a single ball hit to him yet except a pop up (which he caught).

If you can't recall a single ball hit to him, then you haven't watched much at all.

Anyways, I completely expected pozzies to dismiss this data since it goes against their belief that Freeman can play 3B.

I doubt he will be -80 or -40 runs per year bad, but it shouldn't take long to realize he is unplayable at 3B.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts

there was a double down the line that would have been a tough play. He has handled a couple of ground outs.. there was an error which I missed a couple of games ago. I just don't see how there is even enough data to put these numbers together...

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    If you can't recall a single ball hit to him, then you haven't watched much at all.

Anyways, I completely expected pozzies to dismiss this data since it goes against their belief that Freeman can play 3B.

I doubt he will be -80 or -40 runs per year bad, but it shouldn't take long to realize he is unplayable at 3B.
    I wasn't disagreeing with him playing or not.. this just feels like a guy hitting .750 after 2 games irrelevant.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts

I'm guessing the sample size is so small that that error actually crushed his numbers. That's a play that is made 99/100 times, and he booted it. Considering his lack of reps, I'd imagine that did his numbers in so far.

I can recall another two plays where a good third basemen probably makes the play

I'm sure time will show he can't hack it over there. I'm hoping we're just trying to use this time to help Adams' value inch up a little bit more before 7/31.

With the emergance of Camargo and SRod coming back, there is no way this experiment continues

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (07-10-2017), Garmel (07-10-2017), jpx7 (07-10-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts

Honest question, do you really believe this data means anything yet?

I think everybody acknowledges Freddie is going to be horrible at third. It's just that this data isn't any more of a bit of proof than Camargo going 3-4 and being labeled the next A-Rod.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 07-10-2017 at 01:01 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I'm guessing the sample size is so small that that error actually crushed his numbers. That's a play that is made 99/100 times, and he booted it. Considering his lack of reps, I'd imagine that did his numbers in so far.

I can recall another two plays where a good third basemen probably makes the play

I'm sure time will show he can't hack it over there. I'm hoping we're just trying to use this time to help Adams' value inch up a little bit more before 7/31.

With the emergance of Camargo and SRod coming back, there is no way this experiment continues
    Perfectly stated.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Honest question, do you really believe this data means anything yet?

I think everybody acknowledges Freddie is going to be anything but horrible at third. It's just that this data isn't any more of a bit of proof then Camargo going 3-4 and being labeled the next A-Rod.
    Like I said, it's highly unlikely Freeman is a -80 or -40 defender at 3B.

However, it is highly likely this data is already showing he is unplayable at 3B.

If you want to dismiss the data, the onus is on you to do it with your own data. Go use FG's split leader boards to find other 40 inning stretches by guys at 3B that resulted in -80, and see where that data leads you. Is it common for average or below average defenders to have 40 inning stretches that bad?

Idle speculation is worthless, it's just being contrarian and contributes nothing to the discussion.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    When reliable data is available, I will be glad to parse it and I'm sure it will show FF is unplayable at third.

Until then, I don't see the need to make any conclusions off of an enormously small sample size.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    You can watch him move and know he can't play 3B. This is silly.

he's bad. Adams is not that good. Even his 850-900 OPS version of himself isn't that great at 1B. It's cheap production but it's not special.

I'd rather have Chase Hedley at 3B (as part of a salary dump to get a good midlevel Yankees piece) plus freeman at 1B than Freeman and adams on opposite sides of the diamond.

I don't see how anyone can want Allard and Soroka even thinking about pitching in MLB with that defense behind them.

I'm not mister defensive metrics but we can't just punt on the corners and put bottom 10% defenders in every corner spot.

I'd rather play Rio over there and hope Rio can turn 24/25 years old and get a little more power. I'd feel better about Rio finding a way to an 800 OPS with average or a little better defense than Freeman and Adams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I'm guessing Adams is going to only play against righties going forward...that'll improve the terms of the defense/offense tradeoff
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

For UZR that is certainly the case. He is at -0.7 in errors and -0.5 in range. Now I certainly don't think he's going to be something like -20 or -30 runs just in errors alone because that is absurd. But the -0.5 in range so far is pretty troubling and not all that surprising. Those per 150 game numbers will improve as he gets more playing time there but they still won't be pretty.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    For UZR that is certainly the case. He is at -0.7 in errors and -0.5 in range. Now I certainly don't think he's going to be something like -20 or -30 runs just in errors alone because that is absurd. But the -0.5 in range so far is pretty troubling and not all that surprising. Those per 150 game numbers will improve as he gets more playing time there but they still won't be pretty.
    This is why I can't stand the idiotic argument folks make when they say "he catches what he gets to", as if that's all it takes to be a competent defender.

If his range is so limited he can't get to much of anything, he is a terrible defender.

This is precisely why the "eye test" is such a terrible way to judge defenders. Hell, we just had a poster in this very thread say, "I haven't seen him get any plays", and then proceed to question these defensive numbers. He was using the eye test...yet hasn't even SEEN any of the plays in question.

It is comical how bad fans are at judging defense. No wonder they have no idea how to value it. Unfortunately, the Braves FO doesn't seem to be much better.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-10-2017 at 03:54 PM.