Page 263 of 583 FirstFirst ... 163213253261262263264265273313363 ... LastLast
Results 5,241 to 5,260 of 11642

Thread: Russia Collusion Scandal (aka A Leftist fantasy)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    There are two stories in the NYT and WP this week that offer some tea leaves to read. One about Cohen's finances, one about Trump's.

Lots of cash, not a lot of obvious provenance for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Mueller requested and received 70 more blank subpoenas (after 35 in April) from a courthouse in Virginia. I'm sure that means nothing.
    Last edited by Runnin; 05-06-2018 at 11:20 AM.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Mueller requested and received 70 more blank subpoenas (after 35 in April) from a courthouse in Virginia. I'm sure that means nothing.
    Witch Hunt!
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Witch Hunt!
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Any comments on TS Ellis III comments?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...mpression=true

Alas, figuring that he was playing with the house money, Mueller made a reckless bet: He charged not only Russian individuals but three Russian businesses. A business doesn’t have the same risks as a person. A business can’t be thrown in jail. And while members of Mueller’s prosecutorial stable have a history of putting real businesses out of business, a business that is run by a Putin crony and serves as a front for Kremlin operations is not too worried about that either.

So . . . guess what? One of those Russian businesses, Concord Management and Consulting, wants its day in court. It has retained the Washington law firm of Reed Smith, two of whose partners, Eric Dubelier and Katherine Seikaly, have told Mueller that Concord is ready to have its trial — and by the way, let’s see all the discovery the law requires you to disclose, including all the evidence you say supports the extravagant allegations in the indictment.

Needless to say, Mueller’s team is not happy about this development since this is not a case they figured on having to prosecute to anything more than a successful press conference. So, they have sought delay on the astonishing ground that the defendant has not been properly served — notwithstanding that the defendant has shown up in court and asked to be arraigned.

Time to show those cards Mr Mueller

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It is fair to ask what is different about the Manafartov and Cohen cases. Why one was handed off and one retained by Mueller's team. Nothing wrong with the judge taking an interest in this.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-07-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...mpression=true

Alas, figuring that he was playing with the house money, Mueller made a reckless bet: He charged not only Russian individuals but three Russian businesses. A business doesn’t have the same risks as a person. A business can’t be thrown in jail. And while members of Mueller’s prosecutorial stable have a history of putting real businesses out of business, a business that is run by a Putin crony and serves as a front for Kremlin operations is not too worried about that either.

So . . . guess what? One of those Russian businesses, Concord Management and Consulting, wants its day in court. It has retained the Washington law firm of Reed Smith, two of whose partners, Eric Dubelier and Katherine Seikaly, have told Mueller that Concord is ready to have its trial — and by the way, let’s see all the discovery the law requires you to disclose, including all the evidence you say supports the extravagant allegations in the indictment.

Needless to say, Mueller’s team is not happy about this development since this is not a case they figured on having to prosecute to anything more than a successful press conference. So, they have sought delay on the astonishing ground that the defendant has not been properly served — notwithstanding that the defendant has shown up in court and asked to be arraigned.

Time to show those cards Mr Mueller
    I think Mueller and company might have made a mistake in not anticipating this possibility. Otoh, the charging document provides quite a bit of detail regarding the grounds for the charges. I don't think this was a frivolous indictment. The prosecution may have to burn some intelligence sources and capabilities to lay out the case.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-07-2018 at 09:00 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    The judge is being duly stringent here, and that's a good thing. If Mueller shows his cards to the judge and the case proceeds, I'm assuming you'll concede that he has a reasonable case?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    The judge is being duly stringent here, and that's a good thing. If Mueller shows his cards to the judge and the case proceeds, I'm assuming you'll concede that he has a reasonable case?
    All I've ever wanted was to see some actual progress. So far it'd all been speculation which is irresponsible considering the magnitude of the charges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    All I've ever wanted was to see some actual progress. So far it'd all been speculation which is irresponsible considering the magnitude of the charges.
    there has been quite a lot of new information coming out...i guess progress is in the eye of the beholder

for example the list of questions provides a lot of insight imo on the scope of Mueller's investigation...the declaration by Trumps attorney that he might take the fifth also provides insight
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-08-2018 at 06:43 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    there has been quite a lot of new information coming out...i guess progress is in the eye of the beholder

for example the list of questions provides a lot of insight imo on the scope of Mueller's investigation...the declaration by Trumps attorney that he might take the fifth also provides insight
    Taking the fifth is not a 'tell' unless you don't believe in true constitutional rights.

Further, collusion is essentially off the table and now they are trying to get Trump on a crime to defend himself against a fake accusation. Anyone would fight in his position. But the 'fight' is now called obstruction.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Taking the fifth is not a 'tell' unless you don't believe in true constitutional rights.

Further, collusion is essentially off the table and now they are trying to get Trump on a crime to defend himself against a fake accusation. Anyone would fight in his position. But the 'fight' is now called obstruction.
    progress and information is there for those who aren't averting their gaze

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    progress and information is there for those who aren't averting their gaze
    Could not agree more
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

You're quite right about the 5th A. I think he will end up invoking it, because his lawyers have rightly determined that he couldn't get through an interview without bull****ting...and it may be because it's prudent for the lawyers to assume that their client may not have been truthful with them. Not to allow him to testify is the only safe choice.

collusion is essentially off the table

I don't understand your reasoning here.

Anyone would fight in his position. But the 'fight' is now called obstruction.

Channeling Nixon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The Daily Beast can confirm that Donald Trump’s personal lawyer Michael Cohen received hundreds of thousands of dollars from a company controlled by Putin-aligned Russian oligarch Viktor Vekselberg. The allegations were initially made by Michael Avenatti, Stormy Daniels’ lawyer. According to a dossier published by Avenatti on Tuesday evening, “Vekselberg and his cousin Mr. Andrew Intrater routed eight payments to Mr. Cohen through a company named Columbus Nova LLC beginning in January 2017 and continuing until at least August 2017.” The funds, Avenatti suggested, may have been used to reimburse Cohen for the $130,000 hush payment made to Daniels in exchange for her silence about an alleged affair with Trump. Vekselberg was sanctioned by the U.S. government in April. And according to The New York Times, he was recently questioned by federal agents working with Special Counsel Robert Mueller. —Noah Shachtman
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    swampy

"I am your retribution."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    The Daily Beast can confirm that Donald Trump’s personal lawyer Michael Cohen received hundreds of thousands of dollars from a company controlled by Putin-aligned Russian oligarch Viktor Vekselberg. The allegations were initially made by Michael Avenatti, Stormy Daniels’ lawyer. According to a dossier published by Avenatti on Tuesday evening, “Vekselberg and his cousin Mr. Andrew Intrater routed eight payments to Mr. Cohen through a company named Columbus Nova LLC beginning in January 2017 and continuing until at least August 2017.” The funds, Avenatti suggested, may have been used to reimburse Cohen for the $130,000 hush payment made to Daniels in exchange for her silence about an alleged affair with Trump. Vekselberg was sanctioned by the U.S. government in April. And according to The New York Times, he was recently questioned by federal agents working with Special Counsel Robert Mueller. —Noah Shachtman
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/u...-payments.html

Yeah, this is all totally normal, not at all suspicious activity.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    ... and my guess is that if asked to expound, the extent of said 'suspicious activity' would boil down to:

"RUSSIA!™"