Page 321 of 583 FirstFirst ... 221271311319320321322323331371421 ... LastLast
Results 6,401 to 6,420 of 11642

Thread: Russia Collusion Scandal (aka A Leftist fantasy)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Here we go.
    Big!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Probably too late in the game to make much of a difference with respect to Mueller's investigation.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Probably too late in the game to make much of a difference with respect to Mueller's investigation.
    Trump needs another distraction.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Looks like Rosenstein refused to resign and Trump punted. Mexican standoff?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Looks like Rosenstein refused to resign and Trump punted. Mexican standoff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...per-crash.html

Karapetyan had been in charge of Russian criminal investigations into the poisoning of former spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in the UK, and the deaths of Putin critic Boris Berezovsky and of dissident Alexander Litvinenko.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...per-crash.html

Karapetyan had been in charge of Russian criminal investigations into the poisoning of former spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in the UK, and the deaths of Putin critic Boris Berezovsky and of dissident Alexander Litvinenko.
    A Russian deputy attorney general who is thought to have directed attorney Natalia Veselnitskaya in her efforts abroad on behalf of Russia's government died Wednesday night in a helicopter crash.

The Daily Beast reports that Albertovich Karapetyan died Wedesday night in an unauthorized helicopter flight that ended in a crash near the village of Vonyshevo, northeast of Moscow.

Karapetyan was reportedly behind Veselnitskaya's global efforts to lobby lawmakers to overturn anti-corruption acts such as the U.S. Magnitsky Act, a law similar to others around the world passed in honor of Sergei Magnitsky, a lawyer who died during the course of exposing a $230 million fraud scheme in Russia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    New details on Peter W Smith's activities.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gop-ope...d=hp_lead_pos1

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Mr. Smith often communicated with associates using a Gmail account under the name “Robert Tyler” that both he and several others had access to, according to emails and a person familiar with the matter. He sometimes asked associates to communicate with him by writing a note and saving it the draft folder of the account, according to correspondence reviewed by the Journal.

He also had one phone number that he used for sensitive matters and a commercially available encrypted email account. Hard drives that Mr. Smith’s estate turned over to federal investigators were also encrypted, according to people familiar with the matter.

According to an email in the “Robert Tyler” account reviewed by the Journal, Mr. Smith obtained $100,000 from at least four financiers as well as a $50,000 contribution from Mr. Smith himself. People familiar with Mr. Smith’s financial transactions confirm there were donations.

The email, dated Oct. 11, 2016, in the “Robert Tyler” account, included the subject line “Wire Instructions—Clinton Email Reconnaissance Initiative” and was addressed to Mr. Smith. The writer, who identified himself as “ROB, ” said: “This $100k total with the $50k received from you will allow us to fund the Washington Scholarship Fund for the Russian students for the promised $150K.” The Journal couldn’t determine if such a fund actually exists.

“The students are very pleased with the email releases they have seen, and are thrilled with their educational advancement opportunities,” the email read. Because multiple people had access to the “Robert Tyler” email account, it couldn’t be determined who sent the email to Mr. Smith.

The email about obtaining the pledges came just days after WikiLeaks and the website DCLeaks began releasing emails damaging to Mrs. Clinton’s campaign and four days after the U.S. government publicly warned that Russia was attempting to interfere in the U.S. election through the hacking and release of stolen emails and doing so at the direction of the Kremlin’s “senior-most officials.” Russia denies interfering in the election.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I'm sure Mueller has followed the money and has a pretty good read on where that $150K went.

"I am your retribution."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (10-07-2018)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I'm sure Mueller has followed the money and has a pretty good read on where that $150K went.
    I think the possibility still exists that he was being scammed, or even set up. The key IMO is whether Flynn was really involved or whether that was puffery on Smith’s part.

I think that Flynn is a linchpin in the big picture. I’ve always thought it was odd that he took a cooperation deal based on a single charge with a 6-month max. He could probably have lawyered his way out of that, so it stands to reason that there’s something else in the shadows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    From the way the article was written I'm guessing one of the sources was former Peter W Smith associate John Szobocsan or his lawyers.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Peter W Smith: deluded old man or cut-out between Trump campaign and the Russians?

The latest from the WSJ:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/late-go...d=hp_lead_pos2

A veteran Republican activist whose quest to obtain Hillary Clinton’s emails from hackers dominated the final months of his life struck up a professional relationship with Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, the former national security adviser to President Trump, as early as 2015, and told associates during the presidential campaign that he was using the retired general’s connections to help him on the email project.

The late Peter W. Smith, an Illinois financier with a long history in Republican politics, met with Mr. Flynn in 2015, according to people familiar with the matter. At the time, Mr. Flynn had recently left his job as head of the Defense Intelligence Agency and was trying to set up his own consulting firm, while Mr. Smith was looking at investment opportunities in cybersecurity.

Mr. Flynn was a top adviser to Mr. Trump during the 2016 campaign. He served briefly as national security adviser in Mr. Trump’s administration before being forced to resign and pleading guilty to a charge of lying to authorities about his conversations with a Russian ambassador. He is scheduled to be sentenced in December.

Additionally, in an email reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, one of Mr. Smith’s former associates wrote to a friend last week, “As you are aware Peter started a business relationship with Gen. Mike Flynn in November 2015. We spoke with him on the day he left for his trip to Moscow.” The associate, John Szobocsan, sent the email as the Journal was preparing a story on Mr. Smith and was attempting to reach Mr. Szobocsan. He didn’t respond to requests for comment.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Looks like someone close to Szobocsan is the Journal's source. One always has to wonder about what the motivation might be for providing this information to the Journal.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Looks like we will be hearing from Mueller not long after the elections.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...is-trump-probe

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Someone close to Peter W Smith (I assume John Szobocsan) is feeding the Journal some interesting scoops.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mueller...d=hp_lead_pos2

The person familiar with Mr. Smith recalled him repeatedly implying that he knew ahead of time about leaks of Mr. Podesta’s emails.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Meanwhile back at the ranch

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/19/polit...ged/index.html

The effort had an operating budget of $35 million, prosecutors say, and was allegedly funded by Russian oligarch Yevgeny Prigozhin and his companies. Prigozhin has not responded to a criminal charge he faces from Mueller for funding the scheme before the 2016 election.

"I am your retribution."

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Someone close to Peter W Smith (I assume John Szobocsan) is feeding the Journal some interesting scoops.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mueller...d=hp_lead_pos2

The person familiar with Mr. Smith recalled him repeatedly implying that he knew ahead of time about leaks of Mr. Podesta’s emails.
    The article mentions Roger Stone, and since he’s presumably weeks from being indicted, I’ll mention that I thought, at the time, that his departure from the Trump campaign was fishy. I heard him on some right-wing talk radio show discussing it then, and it stuck with me—it seemed to me a transparent attempt to put a layer of distance between the campaign and a guy who was a renowned rat****er and dirty trickster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    The article mentions Roger Stone, and since he’s presumably weeks from being indicted, I’ll mention that I thought, at the time, that his departure from the Trump campaign was fishy. I heard him on some right-wing talk radio show discussing it then, and it stuck with me—it seemed to me a transparent attempt to put a layer of distance between the campaign and a guy who was a renowned rat****er and dirty trickster.
    He and Smith had rather murky roles. Cutouts it would appear whose role was to obscure a degree of coordination or collaboration between principles who did not want to appear to be too close.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/gop-ope...article_inline

Above is a link to one of the early articles by the Journal on Smith's activities. It seems to me that before he died Smith knew some of this would come out and he reached out to the Journal to try to shape the coverage. For example there is this claim in the linked Journal article:

Mr. Smith said he never intended to pay for any emails found by hackers.

But we now know that he raised $150K for "scholarships for Russian students."

There is also this sentence near the end of the article:

While he said he believed Russians were likely among those who tried to steal Mrs. Clinton’s emails, he dismissed intelligence agencies’ conclusion that the Russia’s government meddled in the election to discredit Mrs. Clinton and to help Mr. Trump.

Now we know of course that Guccifer II was GRU. I suspect Smith knew that all along. I wouldn't say the Journal has been complicit in trying to present a relatively benign view of Smith's activities. But they have also not exactly gone out of their way to note the ways in which he tried to shape a misleading narrative about what was going on.

And I can't shake the suspicion that whoever is feeding stuff about the Smith angle to the Journal now (whether Szobocsan or people connected to Flynn or someone else) is not playing a clean game.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-19-2018 at 03:58 PM.

"I am your retribution."