Page 185 of 583 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195235285 ... LastLast
Results 3,681 to 3,700 of 11642

Thread: Russia Collusion Scandal (aka A Leftist fantasy)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    it should be added that history will not be kind in its evaluation of Obama's response to this attack on our democratic processes...imo he choked...bigtime
    Yeah, I agree. I think there was extreme reticence (consistent with the measured and overcautious character of the man) to the appearance of using the office to put his thumb on the scale.

That said, Mitch McConnell is going to be memorialized as not just fiddling while Rome burned, but effectively picking up a torch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I think the question is going to boil down to if there's evidence of a formal qpq, or was it merely done ad hoc and by inference. I've always thought that evidence of the former is unlikely to emerge. The three obvious possibilities to the contrary are (IMO) the Ukraine platform change, the firm embrace of the Wikileaks dumps, and the well-documented efforts early in the administration to roll back the Crimea sanctions.

I've thought that the best line for the WH/campaign to take was "hey, we're the victims here as much as the Democrats. The Russians executed a campaign to sow chaos and dissension among the American public during the election, and our campaign was directly targeted. Can you believe they even tried to recruit our low-level staffers? Nasty people."

By not taking this line immediately and forcefully, they made themselves look guilty af, regardless of whether or not they were.
    the order for the platform change apparently came at the same meeting Papadopoulos discussed his outreach to the Russians
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    It's really hard to not see that as a gesture, a down-payment of sorts, whether directly referred to or not. A wink and a nod. Keep doing what you're doing and you will be rewarded. I've never really heard an adequate counterpoint.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Yeah, I agree. I think there was extreme reticence (consistent with the measured and overcautious character of the man) to the appearance of using the office to put his thumb on the scale.

That said, Mitch McConnell is going to be memorialized as not just fiddling while Rome burned, but effectively picking up a torch.
    Obama should have not allowed McConnell to veto a forceful response. But yeah McConnell is going to have a black mark against him for all this.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    it should be added that history will not be kind in its evaluation of Obama's response to this attack on our democratic processes...imo he choked...bigtime
    Perhaps he should've called Mitch McConnell's bluff and revealed what was known at the time.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Remember kids, Trump is a complete imbecile who is also brilliant enough to successfully collude with the foreign super power workout a gave off evidence

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    It's really hard to not see that as a gesture, a down-payment of sorts, whether directly referred to or not. A wink and a nod. Keep doing what you're doing and you will be rewarded. I've never really heard an adequate counterpoint.
    of course the Trumpies have been so feckless I would not be surprised if some sort of money or electronic trail establishing what happened comes out...or one of the principals flips

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Perhaps he should've called Mitch McConnell's bluff and revealed what was known at the time.
    easy for us to say in restrospect...but I agree

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    One interesting thing about the indictments today is just how ****ing detailed the charging documents are. That's not really the norm. Considering that none of the subjects are ever going to be tried in US court, it's instructive to ask who the message was intended for. Seems more likely to me to be pointed stateside than overseas.

I'm incredibly curious as to the question of whether they'll be able to bring charges on the email hacks. I've always kinda assumed no, but I'm questioning that now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    of course the Trumpies have been so feckless I would not be surprised if some sort of money or electronic trail establishing what happened comes out...or one of the principals flips
    I think that's a distinct possibility, and I've been generally bearish on the prospect of proving a criminal conspiracy on the part of US persons.

That's why I think that the specificity and detail in today's indictments are aimed at bringing people who are potentially reachable into the fold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    No matter what happens, it looks like a slick move by Mueller and Rosenstein to protect themselves and the investigation, and one nobody saw coming. This Mueller guy should not be underestimated.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Strange how the people cheering that Trump is cleaning the swamp, see all of Trump's associates and confidants under Mueller's thumb for some shady stuff and it's just ho-hum business as usual nothing to see here. Mueller has had an amazing week.

I still think the most hilarious plot twist would be those around Trump in his inner circle did collude with Russia behind his back to shield him because they know he's a doofus and kept him oblivious to it and that's why he genuinely believes there was nothing going on.
    Forever Fredi

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Trump testifying under Oath.

Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Strange how the people cheering that Trump is cleaning the swamp, see all of Trump's associates and confidants under Mueller's thumb for some shady stuff and it's just ho-hum business as usual nothing to see here. Mueller has had an amazing week.

I still think the most hilarious plot twist would be those around Trump in his inner circle did collude with Russia behind his back to shield him because they know he's a doofus and kept him oblivious to it and that's why he genuinely believes there was nothing going on.
    He says "No collusion" A LOT.

What's the saying: It you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth? Let's try it. No collusion. No collusion. No collusion. No collusion. No collusion. No collusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Meet Yevgeny Prigozhin, the Russian Oligarch Indicted in U.S. Election Interference

ST. PETERSBURG, Russia — Long before he was indicted by the United States in a case involving the troll factory that spearheaded Russian efforts to meddle in the 2016 United States elections, Yevgeny V. Prigozhin emerged from prison just as the Soviet Union was collapsing and opened a hot-dog stand.

Soon, he has said, the rubles were piling up faster than his mother could count them in the kitchen of their modest apartment, and he was set on his improbable career. He earned the slightly mocking nickname of “Putin’s cook.”

Despite his humble, troubled youth, Mr. Prigozhin became one of Russia’s richest men, joining a charmed circle whose members often share one particular attribute: their proximity to President Vladimir V. Putin. The small club of loyalists who gain Mr. Putin’s trust often feast, as Mr. Prigozhin has, on enormous state contracts. In return, they are expected to provide other, darker services to the Kremlin as needed.

On Friday, Mr. Prigozhin was one of 13 Russians indicted by a federal grand jury for interfering in the American election.

According to the indictment, Mr. Prigozhin, 56, controlled the entity that financed the troll factory, known as the Internet Research Agency, which waged “information warfare against the United States” by creating fictitious social-media personas, spreading falsehoods and promoting messages supportive of Donald J. Trump and critical of Hillary Clinton. He has denied involvement.

https://nyti.ms/2z2TIHb
    Last edited by Runnin; 02-17-2018 at 01:57 AM.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Remember kids, Trump is a complete imbecile who is also brilliant enough to successfully collude with the foreign super power workout a gave off evidence
    No his doctors cleared that up for us. He's a mental genius.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    No matter what happens, it looks like a slick move by Mueller and Rosenstein to protect themselves and the investigation, and one nobody saw coming. This Mueller guy should not be underestimated.
    Never underestimate a Clinton co-conspirator.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Yesterday Mueller brought more banking charges against Manafort, too. Something to do with him misrepresenting his assets during the bail hearing, if I read it correctly.

More leverage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post

Trump and company are a good deal swampier than the swamp

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Chris Strohm of Bloomberg seems to have developed a very good source.

"I am your retribution."