Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Acuna to AAA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,724 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    What makes you think he won't hit? His .718 OPS in A+?
    Acuna's ops went up .081 making the jump from Florida to Mississippi. Riley will finish .799

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,831 Posts
    Thank you Braves for waiting a week to promote him so I got the chance to see him play.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-13-2017)

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    I'm sure it's just the negi in me talking, but I have a bad feeling the Braves are about to do something devastatingly bad for the future competitiveness of the ball club.

The FO thinks the team is better than it is, and they are about to make a huge mistake because of it.

I'm afraid that 2-3 years from now we will look back at the next few weeks as the exact point the rebuild failed.
    I think it would be dumb to bring him up this year but I think he should start next year in Atlanta. Same with Albies. Go out and sign a 3rd baseman and a couple of good relievers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugfan View Post
    I think it would be dumb to bring him up this year but I think he should start next year in Atlanta. Same with Albies. Go out and sign a 3rd baseman and a couple of good relievers.
    Which is precisely the type of moves I'm afraid will happen. Sacrificing an 8+ year window of contention by rushing it and reducing it to a 4-5 year window of contention.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I'm sure it's just the negi in me talking, but I have a bad feeling the Braves are about to do something devastatingly bad for the future competitiveness of the ball club.

The FO thinks the team is better than it is, and they are about to make a huge mistake because of it.

I'm afraid that 2-3 years from now we will look back at the next few weeks as the exact point the rebuild failed.
    I'm there with you on this actually.

Don't do anything stupid Coppy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-12-2017)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Which is precisely the type of moves I'm afraid will happen. Sacrificing an 8+ year window of contention by rushing it and reducing it to a 4-5 year window of contention.
    You know that makes no sense right? Acuna will be an instant upgrade over whoever he replaces. Signing a 3rd Baseman would only be a bridge to Maitan. Signing a couple decent relievers isn't going to make or break anything at all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EstebanBugatti For This Useful Post:

rico43 (07-13-2017)

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    It's not Ideal but Coppy and his staff can't afford to have 4 bad years in row. I'm pretty sure they will be starting opening day next year. Unless Acuna craps the bed in AAA

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    It's not Ideal but Coppy and his staff can't afford to have 4 bad years in row. I'm pretty sure they will be starting opening day next year. Unless Acuna craps the bed in AAA
    I definitely agree there might be some extra pressure to win in the very near future. A true 5 year rebuild may have never been a real option

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstebanBugatti View Post
    You know that makes no sense right? Acuna will be an instant upgrade over whoever he replaces. Signing a 3rd Baseman would only be a bridge to Maitan. Signing a couple decent relievers isn't going to make or break anything at all.
    Like Swanson is an upgrade over Aybar currently. You don't know what rookies will do. Not maximizing their service time is really dumb in a season you aren't expected to contend.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-13-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Like Swanson is an upgrade over Aybar currently. You don't know what rookies will do. Not maximizing their service time is really dumb in a season you aren't expected to contend.
    Funny thing about that argument yet again...

nobody argues the people making it are wrong in a vacuum, but exactly what in the hell difference does it make if you're planning on locking these kids up LONG before they reach arbitration?

Always hate it when the genius makes things personal, but there sure are a lot of folks around here that are going to have egg on their faces when the organization locks Dansby, Albies, and Acuna up through age-30 soon.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

nobody argues the people making it are wrong in a vacuum, but exactly what in the hell difference does it make if you're planning on locking these kids up LONG before they reach arbitration?

Always hate it when the genius makes things personal, but there sure are a lot of folks around here that are going to have egg on their faces when the organization locks Dansby, Albies, and Acuna up through age-30 soon.
    Like they locked Heyward up? No player is guaranteed to do what Freeman did. Also it still costs the Braves an extra 10-15 million or so by not maximizing service time even if they do sign extensions. Things like this matter to mid market teams.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Maitan is probably 3 maybe 4 years away. Do you want -1.0 WAR player at 3rd for the next few years? Signing a 2.0 WAR 3rd baseman and a couple of 1.0-1.5 relievers adds up. That's an extra 5 wins.
    Maybe Sean Rodriguez is that guy.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Coppy needs to win soon. He knows they can't do it with scrubs like Markakis and Philips. You Would make those moves too if you were the Braves GM coming off 4 bad years in a row. This isn't Baseball Mogul

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Coppy needs to win soon. He knows they can't do it with scrubs like Markakis and Philips. You Would make those moves too if you were the Braves GM coming off 4 bad years in a row. This isn't Baseball Mogul
    What upper management forces Coppy to try or not has no real bearing on what the correct move actually is. You could be right that there is pressure on him to do things like that and I understand it. It still doesn't make it the correct move as far as maximizing long term success. And really holding a player back a couple of weeks really isn't going to have much bearing on a given season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

Yeah, like we locked up Heyward, and Franceour, and Furcal. Just because we want to extend them doesn't mean they will, and it certainly doesn't mean they will give us a break on the deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Like they locked Heyward up? No player is guaranteed to do what Freeman did.
    And even in Freddie and Kimbrel's case they didn't really give us deals that saved us money, that basically just signed fair market deals at that particular point and time. Julio, Simba, and Inciarte are they only ones who have given us deals on extensions really, and in Simba and Inciarte's cases defense first players typically get undervalued anyway.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    What upper management forces Coppy to try or not has no real bearing on what the correct move actually is. You could be right that there is pressure on him to do things like that and I understand it. It still doesn't make it the correct move as far as maximizing long term success. And really holding a player back a couple of weeks really isn't going to have much bearing on a given season.
    I agree that Acuna and Albies
    Shouldn't play in the MLB this year. 2018 they should

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,000 Posts
    As agressive as his promotions have been, I'm not surprised. Dude has been so incredible. It's pretty viable to think he and Albies will be on the major league roster next year.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I don't like it. Albies has years of MLB at bats at the same age. Acuna doesn't have a year of at bats.

If he plays next year he'd have less at bats than Swanson in milb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I don't like it. Albies has years of MLB at bats at the same age. Acuna doesn't have a year of at bats.

If he plays next year he'd have less at bats than Swanson in milb
    Personally, I'm with you. But Braves' scouts see something to be THIS aggressive. Like, this has been insane.

I'll give it to the kid, he just doesn't struggle very much. AAA will be a legit test.