Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    He was really high. I think he was number 1 on some boards. But his draft status had something to do with that.
    He was drafted mid first round; what do you mean?

Giolito reminds me a lot of a supped up Davies. Just something that fell apart when he got up to the upper levels. It's part of the problem when ranking guys lower than AA. I've said I would take Lopez over Gio and stand by that right now. I think worst case that Lopez is a stud reliever. If Gio can figure out consistent mechanics, maybe he makes a jump, but right now, he's in his own head.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    I still think the Braves system is better. Moncada and Kopech haven't exactly torn it up since being dealt to them (Kopech SO numbers are insane, but the guy has 53 walks in 78 IP). Moncada is still striking out quite a bit. Seems their rankings are still mostly based on their ceilings and not so much on their performance.
    Ceilings are what prospects should be ranked on. Finding utility players and 5th starters have some value, but the high ceiling players make the difference.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-20-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Ceilings are what prospects should be ranked on. Finding utility players and 5th starters have some value, but the high ceiling players make the difference.
    So would Tom Glavine be a reasonable ceiling for a left handing starting pitching prospect who didn't throw particularly hard but had good control.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Ceiling should only be part of it. If you only rank based on ceilings you're an idiot.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Orphan Black For This Useful Post:

TheBravos (07-20-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    It's silly to only focus on one or the other. Ceiling and floor are both very important.

There's a lot of value in developing guys that don't have TOR ceiling but can be 3-5 type guys in the rotation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    does anyone have the full list?

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=7372

Acuna 9
    Allard 26
    Albies 32
    Wright 35
    Gohara 39
    Anderson 41
    Soroka 49
    Just paused to think about the minor pitching rotations next year and it is going to be supremely exciting and likely the talk of baseball.

AAA - Allard, Soroka, Gohara, (w/ maybe Sims, Fried, other filler)
    AA - Wright, Wilson, Wentz, Touki
    A+ - Anderson, Sanchez, Rangel, Davidson
    A - Mueller, De La Cruz, ???

I think we need to wait until 2019 to sell off pitching. Sell from MLB ...NOT minors. The value is much higher then. Look at what Fulmer is looking to get.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesguy For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (07-20-2017)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    100%. You win with stars. You don't win with role players orange rotation full of back end staters.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I generally agree, but there is always the tools v. application debate that goes into the determination of ceiling which throws a lot of fans off. By all accounts, Ray Patrick Didder is one of the two or three most dynamic athletes in the Braves' system, but those physical gifts are not translating into results. I think a lot of fans (and scouts) can be seduced by athletic prowess, which, in truth, is pretty important. On the other hand, there are folks who run to the stat sheet and think the guy leading the Midwest League in hitting should be in Keith Law's Top 50.

Every prospect has what I call a development arc. When judging prospects, you hope that arc lands well into the major league level. It requires adjustments at every level and using Didder as an example again, his arc appears to be landing short of the majors because of his inability to make hitting adjustments in High A. I'm not picking on Didder. One sees this all the time throughout baseball.

nsacpi, I'm old enough to remember when Glavine was coming up through the minors and scouts loved him even with his lack of eye-popping stuff. I was always frustrated as a fan because he consistently landed behind David West on most prospect rankings (and the two were often at the same level of competition) because of West's size and raw stuff. But Glavine was heralded, largely because of his competitive nature and intellect. People tend to forget about Glavine's athletic ability. He was a second-round draft pick of the Los Angeles Kings in addition to being a second-round pick of the Braves.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-20-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    Just paused to think about the minor pitching rotations next year and it is going to be supremely exciting and likely the talk of baseball.

I think we need to wait until 2019 to sell off pitching. Sell from MLB ...NOT minors. The value is much higher then. Look at what Fulmer is looking to get.
    With Lewallyn in Florida I don't think anyone skips High A. That seems to be the finishing school. You may not stay long, but you're making a pit stop.

Also, I think we'll have a vet or two in the AAA rotation to be the one who is called up for a spot start and traded or released by May or June.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I generally agree, but there is always the tools v. application debate that goes into the determination of ceiling which throws a lot of fans off. By all accounts, Ray Patrick Didder is one of the two or three most dynamic athletes in the Braves' system, but those physical gifts are not translating into results. I think a lot of fans (and scouts) can be seduced by athletic prowess, which, in truth, is pretty important. On the other hand, there are folks who run to the stat sheet and think the guy leading the Midwest League in hitting should be in Keith Law's Top 50.

Every prospect has what I call a development arc. When judging prospects, you hope that arc lands well into the major league level. It requires adjustments at every level and using Didder as an example again, his arc appears to be landing short of the majors because of his inability to make hitting adjustments in High A. I'm not picking on Didder. One sees this all the time throughout baseball.

nsacpi, I'm old enough to remember when Glavine was coming up through the minors and scouts loved him even with his lack of eye-popping stuff. I was always frustrated as a fan because he consistently landed behind David West on most prospect rankings (and the two were often at the same level of competition) because of West's size and raw stuff. But Glavine was heralded, largely because of his competitive nature and intellect. People tend to forget about Glavine's athletic ability. He was a second-round draft pick of the Los Angeles Kings in addition to being a second-round pick of the Braves.
    I was also following the Braves system when Glavine was coming up. I have a vague memory he was in the top 10, maybe the top 5 of BA's International League list his last year in the minors. But he was never as highly heralded as Mercker or Avery, partly because those two threw a lot harder. My point is that Glavine was the kind of prospect who would be labeled high floor low ceiling. What would be the appropriate "ceiling" for a prospect with his profile.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Glavine was an anomoly. I'm obviously someone who leans towards the scouting side of the Scout vs. Saber argument while using a healthy amount of analysis as well.

I'm just not sure how many more Glavines we are going to see today. He benefited a lot from a less scrutinized strike zone but also played at a time when PED's were rampant.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Glavine was an anomoly. I'm obviously someone who leans towards the scouting side of the Scout vs. Saber argument while using a healthy amount of analysis as well.

I'm just not sure how many more Glavines we are going to see today. He benefited a lot from a less scrutinized strike zone but also played at a time when PED's were rampant.
    That still leaves the question of what is the appropriate ceiling rating for a prospect with a similar profile.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    That still leaves the question of what is the appropriate ceiling rating for a prospect with a similar profile.
    Its difficult to say. As I watch guys like Newcomb/Teheran struggle while being able to throw int he low to mid 90's I think the changeup is the most undervalued pitch in baseball.

When considering his lack of velocity as well as his plus plus changeup I'd probably bump Glavine up to a #2 ceiling. Guy who could be a 4 WAR pitcher consistently.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    full list, in case anyone hasn;t seen:

Amed Rosario, SS, New York Mets
    Gleyber Torres, SS, New York Yankees
    Rafael Devers, 3B, Boston Red Sox
    Victor Robles, OF, Washington Nationals
    Eloy Jimenez, OF, Chicago Cubs
    Francisco Mejia, C, Cleveland Indians
    Michael Kopech, RHP, Chicago White Sox
    Vladimir Guerrero Jr., 3B, Toronto Blue Jays
    Ronald Acuna, OF, Atlanta Braves
    Mitch Keller, RHP, Pittsburgh Pirates
    Walker Buehler, RHP, Los Angeles Dodgers
    Alex Verdugo, OF, Los Angeles Dodgers
    Yoan Moncada, 2B, Chicago White Sox
    Nick Senzel, 3B, Cincinnati Reds
    Fernando Tatis Jr., SS, San Diego Padres
    Kyle Tucker, OF, Houston Astros
    Lucas Giolito, RHP, Chicago White Sox
    Brendan Rodgers, SS, Colorado Rockies
    Cal Quantrill, RHP, San Diego Padres
    Jason Groome, LHP, Boston Red Sox
    Hunter Greene, RHP, Cincinnati Reds
    Brent Honeywell, RHP, Tampa Bay Rays
    Dom Smith, 1B, New York Mets
    Leody Taveras, OF, Texas Rangers
    Willy Adames, SS, Tampa Bay Rays
    Kolby Allard, LHP, Atlanta Braves
    Carson Kelly, C, St. Louis Cardinals
    Yadier Alvarez, RHP, Los Angeles Dodgers
    Lewis Brinson, CF, Milwaukee Brewers
    Nick Gordon, SS, Minnesota Twins
    Scott Kingery, 2B, Philadelphia Phillies
    Ozhaino Albies, SS/2B, Atlanta Braves
    Chance Sisco, C, Baltimore Orioles
    Bo Bichette, SS, Toronto Blue Jays
    Kyle Wright, RHP, Atlanta Braves
    Forrest Whitley, RHP, Houston Astros
    Brendan McKay, LHP/1B, Tampa Bay Rays
    Corbin Burnes, RHP, Milwaukee Brewers
    Luiz Gohara, LHP, Atlanta Braves
    Triston McKenzie, RHP, Cleveland Indians
    Ian Anderson, RHP, Atlanta Braves
    Juan Soto, OF, Washington Nationals
    Franklin Perez, RHP, Houston Astros
    Kevin Newman, SS, Pittsburgh Pirates
    MacKenzie Gore, LHP, San Diego Padres
    Yordan Alvarez, 1B, Houston Astros
    Ryan McMahon, 1B/3B, Colorado Rockies
    Mickey Moniak, OF, Philadelphia Phillies
    Mike Soroka, RHP, Atlanta Braves
    Jack Flaherty, RHP, St. Louis Cardinals

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

Del Rosario will be in that Rome rotation.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    With Lewallyn in Florida I don't think anyone skips High A. That seems to be the finishing school. You may not stay long, but you're making a pit stop.

Also, I think we'll have a vet or two in the AAA rotation to be the one who is called up for a spot start and traded or released by May or June.
    I agree that vets may fill out the rotations. I also think we will sign another vet for the MLB rotation this offseason if we can't get a SP in trade, but what is exciting is that if next Sept we have 2-3 guys who should be ready for a rotation spot. Then we have the luxury of trading MLB level talent to restock the lower minors for a future wave.

Imagine our rotation next year is Wainwright (any FA vet)/Teheran/Folty/Newcomb/Dickey....then 2 of Allard/Soroka/Gohara appear ready in August/September. We could trade 2 guys (Dickey & Teheran) to get 2-4 low A, top 100 prospects. Then have a 2019 rotation of Vet/Folty/Newcomb/Allard/Soroka and in Sept 2 of Gohara/Wentz/Wilson/Anderson appear ready and we could trade 2 guys (Vet & Folty) to get 2-4 low A, top 100 prospects....and so on...and so on...

The talk about Fulmer's trade value really excites me looking at the Braves the other direction for years to come.
    Last edited by bravesguy; 07-20-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

Im talking about high upside talent vs. averagish talent. In this thought process, the high upside guys have some production to back their high rankings. I'm not talking about George Lombard.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I agree that vets may fill out the rotations. I also think we will sign another vet for the MLB rotation this offseason if we can't get a SP in trade, but what is exciting is that if next Sept we have 2-3 guys who should be ready for a rotation spot. Then we have the luxury of trading MLB level talent to restock the lower minors for a future wave.

Imagine our rotation next year is Wainwright (any FA vet)/Teheran/Folty/Newcomb/Dickey....then 2 of Allard/Soroka/Gohara appear ready in August/September. We could trade 2 guys (Dickey & Teheran) to get 2-4 low A, top 100 prospects. Then have a 2019 rotation of Vet/Folty/Newcomb/Allard/Soroka and in Sept 2 of Gohara/Wentz/Wilson/Anderson appear ready and we could trade 2 guys (Vet & Folty) to get 2-4 low A, top 100 prospects....and so on...and so on...

The talk about Fulmer's trade value really excites me looking at the Braves the other direction for years to come.
    Fulmer is super valuable because he has 5 years of control remaining after this season. He has 5 years of control remaining because the Tigers properly managed his service time, rather than calling him up early.

The Braves do not maximize player value like that.

Most importantly, the Braves do not sell pitchers with 5 years of control, as evidenced by holding onto Teheran trough the rebuild and wasting the bulk of his value.

Watch what the A's get in return for Gray. He has 2+ years of control left. That is the most likely return we can hope the Braves get by trading away their good pitchers in future years.

Even that is wishful thinking, unfortunately. The Braves have never had the foresight to sell high on pitchers. They always ride them out and let their value plummet before unloading them for little to no return.

Hopefully that changes...hopefully.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-20-2017 at 12:31 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Fulmer is super valuable because he has 5 years of control remaining after this season. He has 5 years of control remaining because the Tigers properly managed his service time, rather than calling him up early.

The Braves do not maximize player value like that.

Most importantly, the Braves do not sell pitchers with 5 years of control, as evidenced by holding onto Teheran trough the rebuild and wasting the bulk of his value.

Watch what the A's get in return for Gray. He has 2+ years of control left. That is the most likely return we can hope the Braves get by trading away their good pitchers in future years.

Even that is wishful thinking, unfortunately. The Braves have never had the foresight to sell high on pitchers. They always ride them out and let their value plummet before unloading them for little to no return.

Hopefully that changes...hopefully.
    Other than JT and I guess Wood, what other pitchers have they failed to sell at their highest point? There was a different GM in charge for Hanson, JJ, and the like. And we were in contention those years as well. Mid market teams competing for a playoff spot generally don't trade away good, young, controllable pitching.