Thread: Quintana to Cubs

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Hahn is rebuilding correctly.
    He is indeed. But let's remember the type of assets he had to trade. Given their contracts, Quintana and Sale are both immensely more valuable than any piece the Braves have had during the rebuild. I think only Simba and JT pre 2017 could have rivaled Quintana in terms of value. As much as I like Newk, I think we under sold Simba by a good bit honestly.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    He is indeed. But let's remember the type of assets he had to trade. Given their contracts, Quintana and Sale are both immensely more valuable than any piece the Braves have had during the rebuild. I think only Simba and JT pre 2017 could have rivaled Quintana in terms of value. As much as I like Newk, I think we under sold Simba by a good bit honestly.
    It has nothing to do with the actual pieces being traded.

They are using the correct process...meaning they are not watering down their returns by attaching dead contracts and/or getting "win now" pieces as part of the package.

Why is it so hard for folks to separate the process from the results in their heads?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    It has nothing to do with the actual pieces being traded.

They are using the correct process...meaning they are not watering down their returns by attaching dead contracts and/or getting "win now" pieces as part of the package.

Why is it so hard for folks to separate the process from the results in their heads?
    We attached a bad contract to one player, and still got a solid return at the time. The Wood trade was obviously horrible.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The Braves got Swanson, a 65 FV player, for Miller.
    Here's where I have to disagree on the FV stuff.....I don't think Swanson is in the same class as those guys. He's a much higher floor guy and he was much closer to MLB. But he doesn't have any carrying tools like those guys have. Swanson was suppossed to be a good all around player and those guys are supposed to Mash.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-13-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Here's where I have to disagree on the FV stuff.....I don't think Swanson is in the same class as those guys. He's a much higher floor guy and he was much closer to MLB. But he doesn't have any carrying tools like those guys have. Swanson was suppossed to be a good all around player and those guys are supposed to Mash.
    Risk is also baked into overall FV scores. A large part of Swanson's value was in his certainty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Risk is also baked into overall FV scores. A large part of Swanson's value was in his certainty.
    sure....but Jeff Blauser is what I've said from the Jump. There were a lot of ppl saying he has zero plus tools. I don't think many are trading Swanson for Eloy or Moncada despite the same FV.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    sure....but Jeff Blauser is what I've said from the Jump. There were a lot of ppl saying he has zero plus tools. I don't think many are trading Swanson for Eloy or Moncada despite the same FV.
    You are letting Swanson's recent struggles influence your perception of his value too much.

Just like folks were letting Albies' struggles to start the year in AAA influence his absurdly low ranking in these updated lists.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    And his playing a premium position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    You are letting Swanson's recent struggles influence your perception of his value too much.

Just like folks were letting Albies' struggles to start the year in AAA influence his absurdly low ranking in these updated lists.
    I just don't think he's that good. Blauser was a good player. I think he was a 2 war guy who dabbled in 3 and had a couple 5 war seasons. Played for a long time.

He swings and missed in the zone a lot. He's going to be good on D. I just don't see how he hits above 7th for a good baseball team.

I like him, I just don't see how you can put him in the impact class.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Dougie Jones: Do the White Sox now have the #1 system?

Keith Law: I don’t think I’d put them over Atlanta, which has so much more depth (7 guys on my top 50, and the list keeps on going). But they might be #2. I haven’t done a ton of work on that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I'm just glad we didn't pay the price it would have taken to get Quintana. The Cubs are wanting to win now and can always spend to keep things going. We lack that luxury.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    2 months of Aroldis Chapman netted Gleybor Torres, whom many believe is better than Eloy.

The Kimbrel deal turned out to be a disaster, not only because we didn't maximize value, but we also didnt get anything useful back in hindsight
    The Chapman deal was the first of its kind. I don't believe a reliever has ever brought back that sort of package.

And don't forget, the Braves still received a pretty good package, even if it wasn't extraordinary. If Wisler were living up to his bill and holding down the 3rd spot in the rotation with a mid 3 ERA, I doubt anyone would have much an issue at all with this deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    The Chapman deal was the first of its kind. I don't believe a reliever has ever brought back that sort of package.

And don't forget, the Braves still received a pretty good package, even if it wasn't extraordinary. If Wisler were living up to his bill and holding down the 3rd spot in the rotation with a mid 3 ERA, I doubt anyone would have much an issue at all with this deal.
    Wisler's face plant hurt. But we should have seen it coming. There were signs that his low minor's numbers were based more on him being polished than having huge potential.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Wisler's face plant hurt. But we should have seen it coming. There were signs that his low minor's numbers were based more on him being polished than having huge potential.
    Some have said the same about Soroka. I understand that idea causes pozzies to convulse on the floor in a tantrum, but...

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Certainly not a pozzie but Soroka's curveball was just rated best in futures game. But yes, he a Allard both had some of that worry until excelling in AA so far as19 year olds.

Some have said the same about Soroka. I understand that idea causes pozzies to convulse on the floor in a tantrum, but...

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    The problem that I see is that neither Soroka nor Allard have big fastballs. If you look around at the true Aces out there most have big fastballs. You can be excellent without a big fastball but the margin for error becomes extremely thin, about as thin as the margin of error that separates a true #1 from a good #3.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Exactly how should we have seen it coming? A ton of people watched him pitch and they all thought pretty highly of him. And let's to be so quick to write him off. Plenty of time for him to turn into a solid MLB pitcher. Or may be he'll just be another Kyle Davies.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Exactly how should we have seen it coming? A ton of people watched him pitch and they all thought pretty highly of him. And let's to be so quick to write him off. Plenty of time for him to turn into a solid MLB pitcher. Or may be he'll just be another Kyle Davies.
    LOL please be sure to let us know when it's OK to write off Wisler.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpack1 View Post
    Certainly not a pozzie but Soroka's curveball was just rated best in futures game. But yes, he a Allard both had some of that worry until excelling in AA so far as19 year olds.

Wisler didn't have a lot of trouble in AA either. He was rated a top 50 prospect. #2 in the Padres organization and a 50 FV.

And his FB averages 92-93 with more in the tank so he's not a soft thrower.

Anyone making Soroka untouchable should consider that Wisler was once a young pitcher dominating AA and to an extent AAA. But the Ks started drying up at AAA.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 07-13-2017 at 06:08 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Hahn is rebuilding correctly.
    Good thing they wasted the blowing of their international budget on one guy they had to pay full market value for.