Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 7/16 GDT: Arizona Diamondbacks (53-38) vs. Atlanta Braves (44-45)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Which is always one of the funniest ones since the goal from a Manager's, coaches', and players' standpoint IS to win every game - or at least attempt to.
    No it shouldn't. you sometimes have to lose a battle to win the war. I am not saying you intentionally lose. But sometimes you have to put the 'Not best' team out there in order to enhance your winning down the road. Pitching high leverage guys in situations that don't call for it because you 'want' to win that game could cause ripple effects that lose you 2 other games in the very near future.

A manager's job is not to win every game, but to 'manage' his team through 162 game season to ensure the best record possible and to get into the playoffs with the best team you can form.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Which is always one of the funniest ones since the goal from a Manager's, coaches', and players' standpoint IS to win every game - or at least attempt to.
    it is actually a logical criticism since managing to win every game can have an adverse effect on your season record...this is pretty well understood

I think Snit has been managing differently this year than he did last year. He's actually managing more to win over 162 games. Though he still makes some strange moves when it comes to pen management and pinch hitting choices.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-17-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    No it shouldn't. you sometimes have to lose a battle to win the war. I am not saying you intentionally lose. But sometimes you have to put the 'Not best' team out there in order to enhance your winning down the road. Pitching high leverage guys in situations that don't call for it because you 'want' to win that game could cause ripple effects that lose you 2 other games in the very near future.

A manager's job is not to win every game, but to 'manage' his team through 162 game season to ensure the best record possible and to get into the playoffs with the best team you can form.
    Again with the nitpicking.

Teams try to win every game they have a CHANCE to win - that's how you get to the playoffs.

Obviously you make different decisions in blowouts with an eye on the big picture. Folks around here constantly look for the smallest things to start an argument about. Can you criticize some of his decisions when he uses Vizcaino, etc. in games when they're down 6 runs? Sure. But to question using Ramirez, Vizcaino, and Johnson in a game they have a chance to win is beyond ridiculous - he's ultimately paid to WIN GAMES, and will be dismissed when he doesn't.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Even considering those Viz games you mentioned Snit's W-L record speaks to a method to the madness.
    Perhaps he did a side session with pitching coach and has something to work on in a non leverage situation or perhaps someone came in with the flu
    We know so little of what goes on.

I did laugh out loud at my critical self over Lane Adams PH with the bases loaded and Matt A on the bench.
    these people get paid an awful lot of money by smart people to make these decisions.

Surprised I am the first I've seen here talking MOY to Snit
    ah, maybe not surprised
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Even considering those Viz games you mentioned Snit's W-L record speaks to a method to the madness.
    Perhaps he did a side session with pitching coach and has something to work on in a non leverage situation or perhaps someone came in with the flu
    We know so little of what goes on.

I did laugh out loud at my critical self over Lane Adams PH with the bases loaded and Matt A on the bench.
    these people get paid an awful lot of money by smart people to make these decisions.

Surprised I am the first I've seen here talking MOY to Snit
    ah, maybe not surprised
    The Lane Adams PH against Delgado made sense given that Delgado has reverse splits. But Snit also has sent Lane up against righties with conventional splits.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

57Brave (07-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    forgot that about Delgado, that was a debate when he was here, "why use Delgado ... "
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.