Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Trade Deadline Rumors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlee View Post
    I just don't get why we have to go get Headley. If CJ wasn't hitting it would be a different story but he is.

We need a TOR starting pitcher before we need a new 3B.
    I agree. 3B isn't the position where we should blow our wad.

CJ is not bad at all. He is under control and won't demand a large salary number through arby.

I would still want a bullpen arm if the price for a top starter is too much but I am in agreement with you Sid. I have a feeling Jake Peavy is going to be a Brave.

Peavy plus 5 million for Medlen/Martin/Kubitza

I don't want to give up Martin but with Peavy here next year it will give the organziation another year to not worry about filling a SP role.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    They are going to get another lefty RP. Just be shocked it that doesn't happen. I would bet its Mike Gonzalez.

I think you can add someone else and not give up Martin. The White Sox just got a real toolsy guy for Thronton so I could see them liking Lipka.

I would love to get Peavy and Crain. Medlen, Lipka, Gerrian, Kubitza then Trade Hale for Gonzo.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    NO NO NO NO NO. stop giving away good young pitchers for guys that used to be good. on top of that, the current third baseman in atlanta is about their best player.
    if you trade anybody figure out how to get a second baseman or a center fielder in return. if you must trade away good young pitching, find a way to have uggla's or bj's contract included with it.
    By that do you mean he has the best batting average? Because that's about it. He has been the 3rd best hitter on the team to this point (key phrase is to this point) and not even close to the top when you consider defense and base running.

Johnson is a decent player and a cost controlled player so I see no reason in upgrading him right now unless something falls in our lap. That's something the team can keep exploring through next season before 2016 when he won't be a cost controlled player. There really is nobody on the offense we should be thinking about replacing right now. Yes BJ is struggling really bad. But he's not going anywhere. Uggla isn't living up to his contract but they aren't going to replace him either in the middle of the year. And with 18 homers and a really good walk rate he has been decent this year.

The only thing I see this team doing is adding more depth to the bullpen. They will inquire about the best starters available to see what might happen there but there is really no need there since we have Beachy coming back to help the rotation.

To look at this from another angle.

The Braves have 16.1 WAR from their position players which is FIRST in the NL. This combines hitting, base running, and defense. And offensively they are 2nd in the NL behind the Cards with a 104 WRC+. You can argue about batting average, strikeouts, and consistency but our group is really really good.

The Braves rotation has a 3.61 ERA which is good for 6th in the NL. The group has been dominant at times and shaky at times. Hopefully Beachy returning will help out and share the load with Julio so we don't push him too high with his innings. Replacing Maholm with a better starter would be nice as well but more of a luxury than a necessity as he is a solid starter.

The Braves pen have a 2.61 era and is the best in the NL yet again. This is despite two injuries to key members of the pen which has been amazing. Still I would like to see some more depth added to the pen because you can never have enough. I want a shut down loogy the most and I suspect some depth of some kind is the trade we are most likely to see.

That being said. This team is in great shape going forward the rest of the year assuming we don't take any hits on the injury list.

Our position players are top notch, our pen is top notch, and our rotation is good.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

drewdat (07-20-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    They are going to get another lefty RP. Just be shocked it that doesn't happen. I would bet its Mike Gonzalez.

I think you can add someone else and not give up Martin. The White Sox just got a real toolsy guy for Thronton so I could see them liking Lipka.

I would love to get Peavy and Crain. Medlen, Lipka, Gerrian, Kubitza then Trade Hale for Gonzo.
    I worry about Peavy's health but that might be a great scenario if it played out like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I worry about Peavy's health but that might be a great scenario if it played out like that.
    Peavy is a pure dice roll from a health standpoint. Just spooky scary to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I'd kick the tires on Peavy, Josh Johnson, James Shields. The first two are high risk/high reward. The price might be reasonable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Toronto already said JJ isn't moving and KC isn't moving Shields they traded Meyers to get him. Peavy, I'd take but wouldn't give up much, since he's likely to end up on the DL, again.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Wasn't Peavy in the latest Bourne movie?
    Forever Fredi

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    No thanks on Peavy.

Johnson isnt better than our current starters.

KC isnt moving Shields.

If we're dealing with Chw, get Crain. A high leverage BP arm is more important over a SP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    on top of that, this current team doesn't need a third baseman. chris johnson continues to impress and is one of the few guys in the lineup that can be counted on at this point. it makes zero sense to give away so much for what would likely not improve the team at all this season.

but more imporantly, please please please no rick ankiel like moves. there's a reason why teams like the cardinals are alway good. they don't trade away guys that have big upsides that are young for rick ankiel.
    The Braves aren't always good?

I find it strange that you would throw out the Ankiel trade as an example of a bad Braves deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    xFIP numbers 2011, 2012 and so far 2013

Josh Johnson 3.32, 3.73, 3.56

Mike Minor 3.62, 4.32, 3.58

Tim Hudson 3.49, 4.10, 3.67

Paul Maholm 4.03, 3.84, 3.77

Julio Teheran 3.84 (2013)

Kris Medlen 2.97 (2012), 4.07 (2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    The main reason to upgrade third is for the playoffs. The Braves recent playoff history is telling in this area. In other words, it's a good example of how costly bad defense is come playoff time. We'll have lower scoring games and face better pitchers in the playoffs. So an error or play not made by CJ could be very costly.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Last coupla starts Maholm has looked pretty pedestrian. Lost some trade value today and I wonder how many millions hes lost on next contract.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Last coupla starts Maholm has looked pretty pedestrian. Lost some trade value today and I wonder how many millions hes lost on next contract.
    He didn't have much trade value,to begin with.

Hopefully Beachy replaces him assuming he's ready of course and has no setbacks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The important thing is not to freak out. Braves are still a really good team and only tweaks need to be made. When Jason comes back and hits this is going to be a fun second half.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The important thing is not to freak out. Braves are still a really good team and only tweaks need to be made. When Jason comes back and hits this is going to be a fun second half.
    Yup, ideally I'd like 2 bullpen arms but one will do and that's the biggest hole.

Jesse Crain is ideal depending on cost.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Yup, ideally I'd like 2 bullpen arms but one will do and that's the biggest hole.

Jesse Crain is ideal depending on cost.
    yeah I would like to drop one of Varvaro and Carpenter. One of them as the 7th man is good.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    yeah I would like to drop one of Varvaro and Carpenter. One of them as the 7th man is good.
    Probably Carpenter, he's pitched over his head this year.

Varvaro has decent stuff at least.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Take it for what its worth, but this tweet came from a Minneapolis sports writer.

Darren Wolfson‏@DarrenWolfson7m
    Partial list of teams with scouts at Target Field tonight: Red Sox, #Braves, & #Phillies.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    Take it for what its worth, but this tweet came from a Minneapolis sports writer.

Darren Wolfson‏@DarrenWolfson7m
    Partial list of teams with scouts at Target Field tonight: Red Sox, #Braves, & #Phillies.
    I wonder who the attraction is
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide