Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Trade Deadline Rumors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I posted that because it seeme like we were really hot on this guy compared to other IF type guys. No one has really put out a scouting report on his stuff though.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Just wanted to mention, that the Garza could possibly affect the Braves. Now that the Cubs are getting Olt back from the Rangers to play 3B. Does that now make Luis Valbuena expendable, and if so, perhaps a Jeff Russell/Luis Valbuena trade to Atlanta. Just thinking out loud here.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 2m

Braves continue pursuit of LH relievers including: Oliver Perez SEA; Mike Dunn MIA, Glen Perkins (unlikely), Scott Downs and James Russell
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 2m

Braves continue pursuit of LH relievers including: Oliver Perez SEA; Mike Dunn MIA, Glen Perkins (unlikely), Scott Downs and James Russell
    The latter 4 since they arent one yr rentals.

Perkins would cost too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    No Mike Dunn please.
    aka RHT10/Cokeman

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Im actually fine brining dunn back

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Anybody know what type of contract Aramis Ramirez has? He's obviously a huge injury risk but he's still an impact bat when healthy. I know we need a leadoff hitter but a healthy Aramis could be a nice addition to the lineup for the stretch run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I'll take Ollie for 1,000 Alex
    Ivermectin Man

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    Anybody know what type of contract Aramis Ramirez has? He's obviously a huge injury risk but he's still an impact bat when healthy. I know we need a leadoff hitter but a healthy Aramis could be a nice addition to the lineup fo

r the stretch run.
    3B is not a problem!

Hes owed like 25+ mil for next two years i think.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

kingphatcow (07-23-2013)

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    13:$10M, 14:$16M, 15: mutual option ($4M buyout)

Thats his contract

He really isn't what we need.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Simmons(we know Fredi isnt moving him out of this spot)
    Heyward
    JUpton
    Freeman
    McCann
    Uggla
    BUpton
    Johnson

Schafer, Laird, Valbeuna, Gattis, Terdoslavich

Hudson
    Minor
    Teheran
    Beachy
    Medlen

Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan, Wood, Russell, Varvaro, Carpenter

Is this team good enough to win a World Series?? If not, ask yourself, what else would we need...thats what Wren needs to determine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunit24 View Post
    Simmons(we know Fredi isnt moving him out of this spot)
    Heyward
    JUpton
    Freeman
    McCann
    Uggla
    BUpton
    Johnson

Schafer, Laird, Valbeuna, Gattis, Terdoslavich

Hudson
    Minor
    Teheran
    Beachy
    Medlen

Kimbrel, Walden, Avilan, Wood, Russell, Varvaro, Carpenter

Is this team good enough to win a World Series?? If not, ask yourself, what else would we need...thats what Wren needs to determine.

I'd say it has about a 10% chance. And anything that Wren could conceivably do might push the odds up to around 12%. What do you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'd say it has about a 10% chance. And anything that Wren could conceivably do might push the odds up to around 12%. What do you think?
    Not a good chance at all to be honest. I think we need to make a splash. Get an ace or another big bat. Something to kind of shake up the roster a bit. Guys have gotten too comfy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Not a good chance at all to be honest. I think we need to make a splash. Get an ace or another big bat. Something to kind of shake up the roster a bit. Guys have gotten too comfy.
    Thing is no team has a better than 15% chance. I'm just point out that winning in the post-season is mainly a matter of luck (see Giants last season for a recent example). General managers at this point can make moves that affect things at the margin. We need to be realistic about that.

I think a lefty for the pen is probably the one move we should make this this trade deadline. The cost will not be too high and the need is obvious. But it will not dramatically change the odds of our winning the world series. Those will go up from about 10% to about 10.5% if we get a good lefty.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-23-2013 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that the Dodgers are not pursuing Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez.
    The Dodgers have been considered one of the favorites to sign Gonzalez, with one general manager recently telling Peter Gammons of MLB.com that the club could be willing to go to five years and $50 million, but it appears that they have backed out of the running. The Braves, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, Phillies, Blue Jays, Twins, and Marlins are among the other teams who have reportedly shown interest in the 26-year-old right-hander. It's believed that he could sign somewhere as soon as this week.
    Ivermectin Man

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Thing is no team has a better than 15% chance. I'm just point out that winning in the post-season is mainly a matter of luck (see Giants last season for a recent example). General managers at this point can make moves that affect things at the margin. We need to be realistic about that.

I think a lefty for the pen is probably the one move we should make this this trade deadline. The cost will not be too high and the need is obvious. But it will not dramatically change the odds of our winning the world series. Those will go up from about 10% to about 10.5% if we get a good lefty.
    Yep, that's the thing that everyone misses (and in my humble opinion has missed for the last 20 years). If you have 8 relatively equal teams in the playoffs (ignoring the silly one game wild card game) the chances of any one team winning is 12.5%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JCarbo76 View Post
    Yep, that's the thing that everyone misses (and in my humble opinion has missed for the last 20 years). If you have 8 relatively equal teams in the playoffs (ignoring the silly one game wild card game) the chances of any one team winning is 12.5%.
    The interesting thing about the current team is that one or two of our power hitters could get hot and carry us through a playoff series or two. People like to complain about this team's inconsistency. But I don't see that as a problem. Inconsistent teams can win the WS if they get on a hot streak at the right time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    I understand the odds. Thats pretty much common sense. My point is we would have a better shot at winning it with a better team. Think about the 90s if we got a closer. Odds were equal then, but no one is doubting that we win it all if we had a Kimbrel type closer back in the day.

Even if we get Russell and Valbeuna, I hope Wren isnt satisfied, and was wondering what areas of the ball club you guys would think we would still need to improve. Should we sell high on Johnson or just figure his .330 average is legit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    no one is doubting that we win it all if we had a Kimbrel type closer back in the day.
    After the fact it is easy to say having this player or that player would have made a difference. But ex ante, having Kimbrel rather than some of those other closers would have only increased our chances of winning the WS by 1 or 2 percentage points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    After the fact it is easy to say having this player or that player would have made a difference. But ex ante, having Kimbrel rather than some of those other closers would have only increased our chances of winning the WS by 1 or 2 percentage points.
    I disagree respectively. If JS had traded for a Kimbrel type closer, we have more than 1 title. Period. I agree that its easy to look back and say oh if we had this, we would have won, but to my point - You look at our roster. What can we possibly do to prevent saying "oh if we had done this, etc.." in the offseason? Dont ever be satisfied. I feel like Wren and Fredi are satisfied, and I feel like its going to bite us in the butt. Weaknesses are there. Address them. Throw odds all day long but look at a team like Pittsburgh. Ok they have the same odds no matter what they do and if they add an impact player or two, sure they odds just go up percentage points, but id much rather face Pittsburgh with the team they have right now rather than if they trade for a good SS and a good OF.