Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    So you are saying once they leave the Padres in a couple of years they will put up better numbers but the Padres will still be good?

I don't think you comprehend. Runs are supressed in SD. The SD hitters don't have good numbers so everyone writes them off. On the flip side, their pitching isn't as good as it looks. But, they have an awful lot more talent than people realize.

If they were your team, you would hype them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I don't think you comprehend. Runs are supressed in SD. The SD hitters don't have good numbers so everyone writes them off. On the flip side, their pitching isn't as good as it looks. But, they have an awful lot more talent than people realize.

If they were your team, you would hype them.
    No, if they were my team I would realize that they haven't been good in a few years and realize that the history isn't there for them to be good and I wouldn't hype them. What team do I hype of mine that isn't actually good?

I'll be waiting for your response...........
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    You over inflate every one of your teams. None of them have won a title recently, but you act like each one is a dynasty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You over inflate every one of your teams. None of them have won a title recently, but you act like each one is a dynasty.
    The Nationals were a dynasty last year right? At least that is how you described them.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The Nationals were a dynasty last year right? At least that is how you described them.
    Please link where I called the Nationals a dynasty. Please and thank you.

Do I think they are set up for long term success? Yes. This year has surprised me, but it happens. (to a lesser degree how the Braves were awful in 08 when I expected them to be an above .500 team)

Why do I think the Nats are set up for long term success? They have 3 very good starting pitchers that are signed for a lease a couple more years and are entering their prime. They have a 4th guy (Detwiler, injured all year) that is a very good middle of the rotation starter that will be will the club a few more years.

They have a cornerstone of position players (Zimmerman, Desmond, Harper) that are very good. They have a couple young, cheap players that appear to be very productive major leaguers (Ramos, Rendon). They are stuck with Werth and they just gotta hope he can put up solid seasons and not fall off the wagon. They really don't have a hole they need to fill position player wise except maybe 1B. They need a mashing type 1B and Laroche is too much of a question mark. You can never figure out if he's going to be an .850 OPS guy or a .750 OPS guy. Luckily for the Nats they convinced him to only sign a 2 year deal. I'm guessing they will be out scouring the 1B market in the offseason. (unless Skole gets healthy and they trust him at first)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Please link where I called the Nationals a dynasty. Please and thank you.

Do I think they are set up for long term success? Yes. This year has surprised me, but it happens. (to a lesser degree how the Braves were awful in 08 when I expected them to be an above .500 team)

Why do I think the Nats are set up for long term success? They have 3 very good starting pitchers that are signed for a lease a couple more years and are entering their prime. They have a 4th guy (Detwiler, injured all year) that is a very good middle of the rotation starter that will be will the club a few more years.

They have a cornerstone of position players (Zimmerman, Desmond, Harper) that are very good. They have a couple young, cheap players that appear to be very productive major leaguers (Ramos, Rendon). They are stuck with Werth and they just gotta hope he can put up solid seasons and not fall off the wagon. They really don't have a hole they need to fill position player wise except maybe 1B. They need a mashing type 1B and Laroche is too much of a question mark. You can never figure out if he's going to be an .850 OPS guy or a .750 OPS guy. Luckily for the Nats they convinced him to only sign a 2 year deal. I'm guessing they will be out scouring the 1B market in the offseason. (unless Skole gets healthy and they trust him at first)
    I follow the Gnats some. Wouldn't it make sense for them to move Zimmerman to first and Rendon to third. That would be a better defensive alignment for them. They would then have to look for a second baseman if Espinosa doesn't recover/bounce back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Is Zimmerman really a cornerstone type of a player right now? The last three years have not been amazing years. Still a good player but not a guy that carries a team.

I think they are going to throw money at Cano and move Zimm to first with Rendon to third. zimmerman is absolutely awful at third base now.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I follow the Gnats some. Wouldn't it make sense for them to move Zimmerman to first and Rendon to third. That would be a better defensive alignment for them. They would then have to look for a second baseman if Espinosa doesn't recover/bounce back.
    The lineup is better with Rendon at 2nd, Zimmerman at 3rd, and a league average 1B. His shoulder is finally starting to get back healthy according to him so we'll see how he does. His glove defense is outstanding, it's just been issues with his throwing shoulder. They don't need another 2B if Rendon stays at 2nd.

Though Cano would probably be a good move since he hits like a 1B. Them moving Zimmerman to first/Rendon to 3B makes sense.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    The lineup is better with Rendon at 2nd, Zimmerman at 3rd, and a league average 1B. His shoulder is finally starting to get back healthy according to him so we'll see how he does. His glove defense is outstanding, it's just been issues with his throwing shoulder. They don't need another 2B if Rendon stays at 2nd.

Though Cano would probably be a good move since he hits like a 1B. Them moving Zimmerman to first/Rendon to 3B makes sense.
    UZR has Zimmerman's range of -11.2 he was at -2.8 and -0.4 the last 2 years respectively.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    UZR has Zimmerman's range of -11.2 he was at -2.8 and -0.4 the last 2 years respectively.
    UZR takes into account arm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    How is he going to play at third without an arm?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    That doesn't explain the last 2 years or the steep issue this year.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think the Nationals are set up pretty well. Solid core as gf says. Barring the unforeseen, Harper will probably be the best player in baseball in three years. His injury really messed them up. They've had some injuries this season (everyone has) and some big-time fall off in the bullpen and their bench has been terrible (and I mean terrible). I've always thought Rafael Soriano looks better than he pitches and I felt the same way when he was a Brave. I've never liked LaRoche much either (of course, LaRoche's meds kick in and he'll have a > 1.000 OPS month when that happens).

This isn't over yet because I think the Nationals could be one of those teams that goes on an unbelievable streak, but we'd have to go on a bad streak at the same time and I don't know if the stars align for that to happen.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    You guys don't follow do you? Zimmerman hurt his arm 2 years ago and battled through the injury (cortizone shots for 1.5 years) until having offseason surgery. Zimmerman has said that his arm has not recovered from the surgery yet.

If it doesn't, he won't be able to stay at 3rd and will likely have to move to 1B or DH. He seems to think (along with the doctors) that his shoulder is starting to get back to 100%. I can only go off what he tells people. (mutual friends)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Ah so the surgery that I'm sure he was medically cleared to play with this year magically caused a massive fall in his defense.

He's old now, defense peaks early. I don't expect Heyward to be a 20 run defender when he's pushing 30 like Zimmerman. Zimmerman doesn't have the range he used to have. Let's compare Zimmerman to someone vastly his superior defensively, Scott Rolen. Rolen's last dominating defensive season was his 29 year old season.

Do you seriously expect Zimmerman to go back to being a +15 run defender?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Ah so the surgery that I'm sure he was medically cleared to play with this year magically caused a massive fall in his defense.

He's old now, defense peaks early. I don't expect Heyward to be a 20 run defender when he's pushing 30 like Zimmerman. Zimmerman doesn't have the range he used to have. Let's compare Zimmerman to someone vastly his superior defensively, Scott Rolen. Rolen's last dominating defensive season was his 29 year old season.

Do you seriously expect Zimmerman to go back to being a +15 run defender?
    Im not saying he's going to be a great defender going forward. He has good range, but it's all going to depend on if he can make the throws--the health of his shoulder. Yes, he was cleared to play, that doesn't mean his shoulder was healthy. Did Freemans wrist affect him last year? What about that year you stuck up for Heyward bc he had an injured wrist....but but but he was medically cleared!

Rolen put up good defensive season every year he played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Lol at people who think the Nats aren't gonna be good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Lol at people who think the Nats aren't gonna be good.
    Who said they wouldn't be good in the future?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Rolen is a once in a generation defensive talent as well, I was using him as an extreme example, but he went from a 20 run defender to a low teens high singles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Nats are going to be good, no question. Just not as good as media and some on here make them out to be. A lot of what ifs with them, and IMO, Cano is a pipe dream.