Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why haven't the Braves sent Dansby to AAA?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    We've seen almost 400 plate appearances of 55wRC+ from dansby.

We've not seen a ton of Camargo. I think it's reasonable for the Braves to investigate and showcase his true talent.

If winning doesn't matter then it's just as instructive to look at Camargo as it is Dansby.

If winning does matter then maybe a hot Camargo is better than a terrible Swanson.

It's not like the braves forfeit defense, which is the only thing Swanson is allegedly doing well.

I think he'll still get some at bats but he's done nothing to prove that he's the future of the franchise other than show off his hair at this point.

I suspect they will work things out as time moves on.

But in my opinion he's blown any let's throw him out there regardless of how he does currency.

Here is a guy the dbacks gave up in shortly after drafting. Some people say it's because Stewart was dumb. Maybe that org just realized they made a poor draft decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,699 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    We've seen almost 400 plate appearances of 55wRC+ from dansby.

We've not seen a ton of Camargo. I think it's reasonable for the Braves to investigate and showcase his true talent.

If winning doesn't matter then it's just as instructive to look at Camargo as it is Dansby.

If winning does matter then maybe a hot Camargo is better than a terrible Swanson.

It's not like the braves forfeit defense, which is the only thing Swanson is allegedly doing well.

I think he'll still get some at bats but he's done nothing to prove that he's the future of the franchise other than show off his hair at this point.

I suspect they will work things out as time moves on.

But in my opinion he's blown any let's throw him out there regardless of how he does currency.

Here is a guy the dbacks gave up in shortly after drafting. Some people say it's because Stewart was dumb. Maybe that org just realized they made a poor draft decision.
    Jackie Bradley jr had a wRC of 46 his first full season. Good thing they didn't give up on him like you have on Swanson

3. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-19-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Camargo is a good trade high candidate and showcasing him as a SS is the best way to maximize value. As long as he's hot I'd keep getting him playing time. I'd do the same with Adams and get Freddie some starts at 3B.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    I am great with showcasing/seeing what we have with Jo-gun... My prob is Dans riding the pine. Send him to AAA to pair with Acuna and Albies and let Jace and Jo-gun run with SS/3rd platoon.
    Coppy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-19-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,699 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I am great with showcasing/seeing what we have with Jo-gun... My prob is Dans riding the pine. Send him to AAA to pair with Acuna and Albies and let Jace and Jo-gun run with SS/3rd platoon.
    Exactly. Jace can spot start/pr in Atlanta

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I'm obviously not the first to suggest this.... but the correct answer IMO... .you trade Phillips, put Carmargo at 2B and leave Swanson alone at SS.

That gives plenty of ABs to both Swanson/Carmargo and you need to trade Phillips anyway IMO, otherwise you lose his value in a non-playoff season.

Not playing Swanson almost every day, either at the MLB level or AAA is inexcusable at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I would keep an eye on Camargo's strikeout rate. It is trending down. Slightly below 20% in June and so far July. His BABIP will normalize and he will lose a significant chunk of value when that happens. But if he is able to keep the K rate trending down and is able to sustain an ISO above .150 (and I happen to think there is a non-trivial chance he can do this) he could well beat out Swanson as our long-term shortstop.

There have been two developments that some posters have not quite taken in. One has to do with Swanson. His performance this year hints he is not going to be quite as good as his pedigree and small sample major league numbers from last year suggest. The other development has to do with signs that Camargo is breaking out. This goes beyond his major league performance this year. He also got off to a very impressive start in AAA. Set aside the BABIP, which will normalize. The indications of increased power are more significant. He has filled out physically and his power is developing. Let's see how it all plays out.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-19-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-19-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I'm obviously not the first to suggest this.... but the correct answer IMO... .you trade Phillips, put Carmargo at 2B and leave Swanson alone at SS.

That gives plenty of ABs to both Swanson/Carmargo and you need to trade Phillips anyway IMO, otherwise you lose his value in a non-playoff season.

Not playing Swanson almost every day, either at the MLB level or AAA is inexcusable at this point.
    Not a fan of that really. Jo-gun best asset is wasted for the most part at 2nd.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Not a fan of that really. Jo-gun best asset is wasted for the most part at 2nd.
    Trade Phillips, trade Adams, put Camargo at 3B and Rodriguez at 2B. Pretty simple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    x2

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Disagree completely, everyone has seen his arm, the entire idea with Carmago now is to see how well he can hit, that's it. The arm isn't going anywhere - this is all about building for next year and beyond, not whats the absolute best defensive lineup to win games tomorrow.

Put him at 2B to get a ton of ABs and build positional versatility, if he keeps his hitting his value gets higher and higher because both the Braves and other teams know he can play SS. If he regresses and doesn't hit, you basically slot him in as your utility guy going forward.

For me its all about finding ABs for Swanson and Carmago right now; depending on how they perform going forward you can either move one or the other and bring up Albies at a later point.
    Fine.. I will agree with you... but you don't have to keep saying it..
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Fine.. I will agree with you... but you don't have to keep saying it..
    I mean either way, we agree on getting Swanson/Carmago ABs. That's really the key IMO. That could mean Carmago at 3B as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I haven't given up on Swanson but I think we are past the point where he gets to play every day just because he has glorious hair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I haven't given up on Swanson but I think we are past the point where he gets to play every day just because he has glorious hair.
    Yup. 3 games a week is what I'm expecting. He won't be rotting on the bench.

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    But is is so F'ing glorious.

I still think he should get to play everyday to show the FO has confidence that this is not who he is.
    Coppy

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I would much prefer every game in AAA and gaining another year of control if we plan to use him long term. Guys in AAA have good sliders too.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

auyushu (07-19-2017), Jaw (07-20-2017), jpx7 (07-19-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    He should be playing every day because this is not a competing year and we need him to figure things out for the future. Best way to do that is to play as much as possible.

And his best month by far was June. Sure, he has slumped in July, but he had played all of 7 games this month before we started benching him.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-19-2017), jpx7 (07-19-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (07-19-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I usually agree with you regarding baseballs; in this case I very much do not.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I usually agree with you regarding baseballs; in this case I very much do not.
    Can't always agree on everything. I just don't see much damage to having him sit half the games for a while. I guess I see the Camargo/Swanson choice as being a bit more of a close call than most others around here.

"I am your retribution."

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Can't always agree on everything. I just don't see much damage to having him sit half the games for a while. I guess I see the Camargo/Swanson choice as being a bit more of a close call than most others around here.
    What about the extra year of control argument for AAA? Or are you down enough on Swanson that it doesn't matter?