Thread: SRod

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts

SRod

I know shoulder injuries are bad, bad news for pitchers, but what about hitters? In July, he's 3/45 (.067) with 1 extra base hit (2b). His ops was .294 in MiLB. His numbers make bj upton blush. Granted, it's a SSS, but is there reason to worry with him on the wrong side of 30 and coming off a major injury?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Not worried about him. That was a major injury, you typically get more at bats in spring training than he has had. Not saying he should be playing everyday but still...
    Get off my lawn!

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Not worried about him. That was a major injury, you typically get more at bats in spring training than he has had. Not saying he should be playing everyday but still...
    I am saying he should still be rehabbing in the minors.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-20-2017), BedellBrave (07-20-2017), Jaw (07-20-2017), Tapate50 (07-20-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Injury aside (which is a substantial injury), I never liked the signing. I hope he proves me wrong, but that's not at issue here. I agree with jpx7 that he should be still rehabbing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (07-20-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I am saying he should still be rehabbing in the minors.
    I mean this is blatently obvious. Truly a horrific personnel decision unless he had to come up or his season was to be over or something I'm not seeing.
    Ivermectin Man

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-20-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I mean this is blatently obvious. Truly a horrific personnel decision unless he had to come up or his season was to be over or something I'm not seeing.
    I can't argue with this.

If you are trying to win every game so you bench Comargo then you don't bring up SRod given his rehab numbers.

If you are trying to get ready for next year then I have no problem letting SRod play but you can't bench Swanson for Comargo and play FF at 3B.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    We have a narrative addicted front office that actually allows the narrative to drive important decisions.

Last year it was the importance of building up momentum heading into the 2017 season with the new stadium and all that jazz.

This year it has to do with the fact this is a competitive team that will be playing meaningful games in September. To sustain that narrative you need to either bring in reinforcements or argue that reinforcements are arriving from internal sources. Sean Rodriguez is very important to that narrative, which in turn has influenced how quickly they have activated him. It probably has overridden other considerations. Such as is he ready.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We have a narrative addicted front office that actually allows the narrative to drive important decisions.

Last year it was the importance of building up momentum heading into the 2017 season with the new stadium and all that jazz.

This year it has to do with the fact this is a competitive team that will be playing meaningful games in September. To sustain that narrative you need to either bring in reinforcements or argue that reinforcements are arriving from internal sources. Sean Rodriguez is very important to that narrative, which in turn has influenced how quickly they have activated him. It probably has overridden other considerations. Such as is he ready.
    I don't think that is a very good theory on Rodriguez.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

It's just under $6 million per year for two years, but I just don't think Rodriguez is that good. He's a bench guy. One decent year at the plate in his career. Maybe it's just me, but I don't shell out $6 million for a utility guy. But I agree that he is a name (although not a big name) that would lead people to believe he would be a key piece in 2017.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-20-2017), jpx7 (07-20-2017)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It's just under $6 million per year for two years, but I just don't think Rodriguez is that good. He's a bench guy. One decent year at the plate in his career. Maybe it's just me, but I don't shell out $6 million for a utility guy. But I agree that he is a name (although not a big name) that would lead people to believe he would be a key piece in 2017.
    The dude is 32 and has 1 season where he at above league average. Im not sure what the reasoning behind spending 6 million per year on him is, but at least its not crippling contract.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    I don't know to what extent it played into the organization's thinking, but it did seem like Rodriguez took on an out-sized role in the conversation around the team and what it was capable of.

Guy's a 32-year-old utility infielder with a career .692 OPS. He's a useful player, but he doesn't move the needle, and all the talk about the team overcoming his crippling absence or him providing a "spark" upon his return was pretty bizarre. And that's without taking into account his injury situation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts

I think the thought process was more along the lines of...

Braves must show a desire to be competitive to appease the casual fans, therefore...
    They can't trade away Matt Adams without a clear replacement at 3B, therefore...
    They needed to see what SRod can provide, but...
    He isn't ready yet, and didn't come out on fire to create a buzz, therefore...
    They announce they are unlikely to trade Adams, thus...
    The illusion of remaining competitive is still present for the casual fans.

I would say the overarching narrative for the front office the entire time, and main driver behind all the sub-optimal moves they've made during this rebuild is:

"We are using taxpayer money to build a new stadium, so we better make it priority to show casual fans we are trying to win games"

And it has led to wasting a lot of assets that could have gone towards the rebuild, unfortunately.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Injury aside (which is a substantial injury), I never liked the signing. I hope he proves me wrong, but that's not at issue here. I agree with jpx7 that he should be still rehabbing.
    Yeah I didn't get the hype either. He is lesser version of Martin Prado whom I really like, but SRod was never anything, but an average player with an average bat.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    "We are using taxpayer money to build a new stadium, so we better make it priority to show casual fans we are trying to win games"
    ^^^

This is one of many reasons—and one of the more trivial, really—why taxpayer dollars shouldn't be allocated to building stadia for private teams.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Yeah I didn't get the hype either. He is lesser version of Martin Prado whom I really like, but SRod was never anything, but an average player with an average bat.
    In case you haven't noticed, "average player with an average bat" is a significant upgrade for most spots on the Braves roster haha.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Some moves work, and others don't. The White Sox are already finding out that trading for prospects isn't as easy as it looks - Giolito and Lopez have less value now than they did then, and Kopech better figure out his control issues in a hurry. The bottom line is, the rebuild is going well, we have put ourselves in a good position moving forward. Could some of the moves have been better? Sure. Do I like that we traded for Olivera, then compounded it on Kemp? No. I don't love everything we've done, so you can certainly argue that it could be going better.

But overall, it's been successful to this point, and things are looking good. That's all you can really ask. Which is why I like the direction we're headed and am overall satisfied with what we've done.