Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Garcia being traded to Twins

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Sooooo who's going to OAK for Sonny Gray? Some think a deal (not necessarily with the Braves) will go down before the day is over...

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    he traded for I-Me to win games and protect pitching prospects from coming up.
    Seems pretty risky with his injury history, and we called up Newcomb anyway.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post
    So with Bowman saying we traded Garcia for a marginal prospect to get rid of Garcia's salary, why did we ever trade for Garcia? We basically got best-case Garcia (from him not having a year ending injury) and we probably lost the prospect trade portion (Gant and Ellis/Dykstra/Recker for Ynoa).

Would anyone here have traded Gant straight up for Ynoa?
    I would take Ynoa over Gant. I think Gant has reached his ceiling, which is probably a 4A guy. Ynoa is 19 and some like his upside. If he develops, I think he'll be better than Gant. it all depends on what one thinks the time frame is for the Braves contending. I think it's a few years away, so I have no problem trading now for later.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-24-2017)

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Maybe - would've been close. Definitely like the fact that Ynoa's much younger and won't be causing 40-Man Roster issues anytime soon like Gant was.

The plus for having Garcia is that you bought 4 months of development time for Wisler, Blair, and Sims IN GWINNETT. Certainly worth what we paid him IMO - if one of those three had to be the 5th starter out of the gate, this team wouldn't have sniffed .500 at this point.
    Yeah, I guess that's ok. Just seems kinda weird. Guess we were really down on Gant.

At least Sims appears to have figured something out with his control, dunno about Wisler or Blair.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Seems pretty risky with his injury history, and we called up Newcomb anyway.
    there is risk in every transaction. I think the pitchers in AAA are actually showing they need the opportunity. I am ready to trade Dicky and let 2 of them progress..

I am fine with a rotation of Sims/Newk/Folty/JT/Wisler for the rest of the year. see if any take strides.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,699 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveAKAslick View Post
    Sooooo who's going to OAK for Sonny Gray? Some think a deal (not necessarily with the Braves) will go down before the day is over...
    Albies and allard/soroka

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Albies and allard/soroka
    my heart hurts thinking about that. I will be a neggi if that happens.. especially if the second is Soroka..
    Coppy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-24-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Albies and allard/soroka
    That would be a big barf

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    So with Bowman saying we traded Garcia for a marginal prospect to get rid of Garcia's salary, why did we ever trade for Garcia? We basically got best-case Garcia (from him not having a year ending injury) and we probably lost the prospect trade portion (Gant and Ellis/Dykstra/Recker for Ynoa).

Would anyone here have traded Gant straight up for Ynoa?
    It wouldn't be a slam dunk by any means but I wouldn't necessarily object. I'd rather take a chance on a guy like Ynoa with room to grow than Gant who seemed like the kind of tweener pitcher that struggles to carve out an MLB role. The value probably isn't there, but the idea is.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Fair point.

The variation in an individual player is a lot on projections. You limit the risk when you have so many and that is the reason to be excited about the braves top 10. Half the guys won't make it but the other half may just have very productive careers.

Projecting a 19 year old is the hardest thing to do in baseball. Pretending that evaluators have the conclusive answer is crazy to me.

Would I have liked someone with better priduction? Sure?

Does anyone have an updated scouting report based on work done this year? Isn't it possible there was an uptick in his stuff? All these things are possible.
    LOL, now you are trying to argue Ynoa is more valuable than Bundi.

Anything to avoid being wrong...again. And again and again and again.

Haha, hilarious!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,699 Posts
    my heart hurts thinking about that. I will be a neggi if that happens.. especially if the second is Soroka..
    I'm just preparing myself for the worst. I do think one of Albies, soroka, and allard will be traded though

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Albies plus Soroka would be something like $75M in surplus value to the A's.

I don't remember exactly what I calculated Gray's surplus value to be at this deadline, but it's probably very close to $75M.

Would be a terrible trade for the Braves in a non-contending year.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Acuna, Albies, Maitan, Newcomb, Allard, Soroka or Gohara should all be untouchable. Doubt we can get him without giving up one or more of those 7, but I can hope. I'd also like to hang on to Touki, Riley, Jackson, Minter and Wilson.

Can we get Gray for some combination of Sims, Wisler, Fried, Anderson, Pache, Muller, Demeritte, Peterson, Cruz, Ruiz, Sanchez? I think it's possible, but given the number of reported suitors for Gray, very unlikely.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SidSlid92 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-24-2017)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Albies plus Soroka would be something like $75M in surplus value to the A's.

I don't remember exactly what I calculated Gray's surplus value to be at this deadline, but it's probably very close to $75M.

Would be a terrible trade for the Braves in a non-contending year.
    Totally agree...but I expect a lot of us are fixing to be upset/disappointed/pissed

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSlid92 View Post
    Acuna, Albies, Maitan, Newcomb, Allard, Soroka or Gohara should all be untouchable. Doubt we can get him without giving up one or more of those 7, but I can hope. I'd also like to hang on to Touki, Riley, Jackson, Minter and Wilson.

Can we get Gray for some combination of Sims, Fried, Anderson, Pache, Muller, Demeritte, Peterson, Cruz, Ruiz, Sanchez? I think it's possible, but given the number of reported suitors for Gray, I'm not certain.
    Touki, Riley, Jackson, Minter or Wilson arent untouchable by any means. You cant keep every prospect.

I'd keep Acuna, Albies, Maitan, Soroka, Wright, and Gohara if at all possible. Everyone else is fair game, even Allard.

I dont think it would cost Albies and Allard, other big name pitcher for Gray though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Where are you seeing that?
    Get off my lawn!

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    LOL, now you are trying to argue Ynoa is more valuable than Bundi.

Anything to avoid being wrong...again. And again and again and again.

Haha, hilarious!!
    Based on this trade, hard to disagree Bundi has little value and the worst medicals of all time. Perhaps he's missing an elbow.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I do not want Carmargo to be the man who is at 2B in the near future. Albies is special and should be A Brave. And I love Carmargo. I'm going to be sick if we trade for Gray. It'll mean pain to this prospect hound. Inevitable...but it's not time.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-24-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    If the Braves trade Albies for Gray, I'm officially a free agent. So silly that we are looking at a controllable starter when we've centered the rebuild around pitching.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SJ24 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-24-2017), The Chosen One (07-24-2017)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Touki, Riley, Jackson, Minter or Wilson arent untouchable by any means. You cant keep every prospect.

I'd keep Acuna, Albies, Maitan, Soroka, Wright, and Gohara if at all possible. Everyone else is fair game, even Allard.

I dont think it would cost Albies and Allard, other big name pitcher for Gray though.
    Yea wouldn't make Touki, Wilson, Riley, Jackson or Minter untouchable or a deal breaker, but would prefer to hang on to them if at all possible. Allard to me is our second best pitching prospect after Gohara. No way I'd want him included for Gray IMO.