Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Garcia being traded to Twins

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    People who are upset with how this trade turned out need to realize that what we got is probably as good as we could expect for a mediocre starter that is nothing but a rental. Honestly, whether we picked up the rest of the tab or not probably wasn't going to make a huge difference.

I never liked trading for Garcia in the first place.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-26-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Ariel
    3:22 Sonny Gray has a start today. You think A's sit him down in case of any trades?

Steve Adams
    3:24 Only if they're in pretty advanced talks at the time the start is nearing. Otherwise I expect him to make the outing. Even if he gets rocked for 5-6 runs, it's not going to impact his value as long there's no injury at play. The notion that one great or bad start can alter a player's trade value is utter nonsense. Some tried to suggest that Jaime Garcia's two starts prior to his trade "really increased his trade value," and he was (predictably) dealt for an underwhelming return.
    I just find it funny that Steve Adams felt the need to copy and paste my statements in his chat

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,323 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I just find it funny that Steve Adams felt the need to copy and paste my statements in his chat
    Yes, you are such a smart boy. *Pets Enscheff on the skull*
    Last edited by Garmel; 07-25-2017 at 04:55 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (07-26-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/insta...-huascar-ynoa/

Looks like our resident expert did under sell Ynoa a bit. Longenhan likes him a good bit.
    Ivermectin Man

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-26-2017), cajunrevenge (07-26-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/insta...-huascar-ynoa/

Looks like our resident expert did under sell Ynoa a bit. Longenhan likes him a good bit.
    The thing people need to keep in mind with FV (which Longenhagen points out) is that it is partially based on distance from the majors. I like the old ceiling/% chance of reaching ceiling rating that BP used to use (and maybe they still use it). Ynoa has a fairly high ceiling, but his percent chance of reaching it is a different story entirely. I prefer Ynoa to Burdi given Burdi's injury history, but Ynoa is a roll of the dice. Hope it turns out to be a good roll. Braves have been more successful than the Twins in getting raw minor league pitchers to higher levels of achievement (although not necessarily to the major leagues), so I'm interested to see how Ynoa does in Danville.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-26-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Yeah that is my problem with FV too. Was also a big fan of BP at one time. I also liked their projection system that showed more than just the average of 100 however many simulations of a season they did. They also showed the higher and lower ends of projected seasons.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The thing people need to keep in mind with FV (which Longenhagen points out) is that it is partially based on distance from the majors. I like the old ceiling/% chance of reaching ceiling rating that BP used to use (and maybe they still use it). Ynoa has a fairly high ceiling, but his percent chance of reaching are a different story entirely. I prefer Ynoa to Burdi given Burdi's injury history, but Ynoa is a roll of the dice. Hope it turns out to be a good roll. Braves have been more successful than the Twins in getting raw minor league pitchers to higher levels of achievement (although not necessarily to the major leagues), so I'm interested to see how Ynoa does in Danville.
    It's a gamble either way. A 40 FV in AAA has a higher chance of actually doing something at the major league level than a 40 FV guy in rookie ball. However that 40 FV guy in rookie ball also has more room for growth during his development process and could be a higher ranked prospect once he gets to the upper minors.

Another more apparent example is someone like Maitan compared to Manny Margot. Both were 55 FV guys coming into the year. One in AAA and the other never having a pro AB. Both have the same relative value right now but it's easy to see someone like Maitan being a 70 FV monster by the time he hits the upper minors. In that same vein it obviously wouldn't be unheard of for Maitan to completely bust before he gets there as he's only 17 and a ways a way.

Just things to keep in mind. At the stage the Braves are in and the level of prospect we were getting back for Garcia I would always prefer the guy with a chance to improve his stock while developing.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-26-2017), cajunrevenge (07-26-2017), DirkPiggler (07-26-2017), Julio3000 (07-26-2017)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The thing people need to keep in mind with FV (which Longenhagen points out) is that it is partially based on distance from the majors. I like the old ceiling/% chance of reaching ceiling rating that BP used to use (and maybe they still use it). Ynoa has a fairly high ceiling, but his percent chance of reaching are a different story entirely. I prefer Ynoa to Burdi given Burdi's injury history, but Ynoa is a roll of the dice. Hope it turns out to be a good roll. Braves have been more successful than the Twins in getting raw minor league pitchers to higher levels of achievement (although not necessarily to the major leagues), so I'm interested to see how Ynoa does in Danville.
    Agreed. You can have a 40 FV guy who is a 24 year old AAA lifer or one who is a 19 year old in A ball with a high ceiling. It appears the Braves went for the latter, fortunately.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It's a gamble either way. A 40 FV in AAA has a higher chance of actually doing something at the major league level than a 40 FV guy in rookie ball. However that 40 FV guy in rookie ball also has more room for growth during his development process and could be a higher ranked prospect once he gets to the upper minors.

Another more apparent example is someone like Maitan compared to Manny Margot. Both were 55 FV guys coming into the year. One in AAA and the other never having a pro AB. Both have the same relative value right now but it's easy to see someone like Maitan being a 70 FV monster by the time he hits the upper minors. In that same vein it obviously wouldn't be unheard of for Maitan to completely bust before he gets there as he's only 17 and a ways a way.

Just things to keep in mind. At the stage the Braves are in and the level of prospect we were getting back for Garcia I would always prefer the guy with a chance to improve his stock while developing.
    It's always a roll of the dice to some extent. Like striker, the Garcia deal was always a bit of a head scratcher to me, but I think it fit with the Johns theme of "we're going to look like we're competing even if we aren't." Gant may develop into something, but Ellis looks to have topped out in AA and Dykstra has simply fallen off the earth (and I had hopes for him). I don't think there was ever a big market for Garcia (or at least not as big as the Johns had hoped). But given where the Braves are realistically, I agree that the return should be a lower-level guy who might get some helium as opposed to someone in AAA who has "spare part" tattooed on his forehead.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I'm sure Acuna was a 40 FV guy at one time...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (07-30-2017)

Arizona Fall Leaguer Tino25Dynasty's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Now to the Yanks.... Lol

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tino25Dynasty View Post
    Now to the Yanks.... Lol
    Who got the better haul?

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Who got the better haul?
    The Yanks got two guys who will have to be on the 40 man next year. Their return was better, but where would these 2 guys fit with Braves?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Twins got a slightly better return by eating all the money. But it's not really worth caring about one way or another. They're both meh returns, and I generally prefer the guys who are younger with more upside.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Twins got a slightly better return by eating all the money. But it's not really worth caring about one way or another. They're both meh returns, and I generally prefer the guys who are younger with more upside.
    Agreed. And who don't need to be on a 40 man roster next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Wasn't ynoa throwing 98 last night?