Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Garcia being traded to Twins

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I mean, right now, the Braves have future uncertainty at 3B/SS/2B/C/LF/RF.
    Left field is signed for two years (after this year) and right field one. We have Acuna and DPete most likely ready starting next year. Freddie, Adams, Camargo, Albies,Swanson and SRod and could even sign back Phillips because he is home town. Flowers signed for another year and could add Kurt back. We have a log Jam for thru 2019 for the exception of adding a good young future 3rd baseman or catcher and even then by 20flippin20 out of Riley and the 19 catchers we have in the system now...one (realistically 2-4) should be ready. We are better off talent wise coming up in the next few than literally every other team (not saying I like Kemp etc, but he is here and that won't change), with plenty of payroll flex going forward,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I agree about giving Camargo and other internal options more a look at third. But I think it is the position that most likely will need an external upgrade in the next year.
    That's reasonable but any expenditure has to be with riley/Maitan in mind.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Left field is signed for two years (after this year) and right field one. We have Acuna and DPete most likely ready starting next year. Freddie, Adams, Camargo, Albies,Swanson and SRod and could even sign back Phillips because he is home town. Flowers signed for another year and could add Kurt back. We have a log Jam for thru 2019 for the exception of adding a good young future 3rd baseman or catcher and even then by 20flippin20 out of Riley and the 19 catchers we have in the system now...one (realistically 2-4) should be ready. We are better off talent wise coming up in the next few than literally every other team (not saying I like Kemp etc, but he is here and that won't change), with plenty of payroll flex going forward,
    we're in a good spot and will have the flexibility to upgrade where needed...looking at 2018, i think we need one veteran for the rotation and maybe a third baseman if the internal prospects fall on their faces the next couple months. Having Adams does give us the option of continuing the Freeman at third experiment for another year, but I'd rather have a real third baseman.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    That's reasonable but any expenditure has to be with riley/Maitan in mind.
    Maitan could end up in the outfield...i don't think we know his major league position at the moment...I wouldn't count on Riley as a regular...maybe right-handed part of a platoon...going with a platoon at third (which is what we are doing now) might be good way to get cost effective production form the position

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-22-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    we're in a good spot and will have the flexibility to upgrade where needed...looking at 2018, i think we need one veteran for the rotation and maybe a third baseman if the internal prospects fall on their faces the next couple months. Having Adams does give us the option of continuing the Freeman at third experiment for another year, but I'd rather have a real third baseman.
    Well we already have the option for Dickey and technically Julio is another vet with Folty having plenty of experience. You really have Newk and one other rookie, but my guess is that could be Medlen. Why do we need any more vets exactly? We are in a weird spot the next few years because we don't need to sign anyone long term or you will be blocking someone (unless they are traded). We will have a TON of pitchers fighting for spots by this time next year.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-22-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    That's all true ... in a perfect world. I'm just risk averse ... and there's a significant amount of risk in a formula that relies so heavy on the assumption that Acuna/Peterson/Albies/Riley etc. are all going to slot-in seamlessly. My point was/is that if the Braves have the opportunity to fill one of those positions with a proven major league option they should (and likely would) do so, even if it skews the organizational depth chart a bit.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    While it's funny to have watched folks standing on the ledge before last night and now trying to backtrack, if he's going to be moved it'll obviously be before his start in Arizona.

As for offering him a three year deal, no way - and I've likely been his biggest supporter here. I'd have no issues if they wanted to bring him back in 2018 to buy time for the kids if they plan to be more competitive, but when you consider how close Newcomb, Wisler, Sims, Soroka, and Allard are to being ready, it's hard to see a three year deal as worth it.

Offer him the QO (yes, it's higher than what he's probably worth) and if he takes it you have your bridges to the kids in the unlikely event they need another full year. Both he and Dickey will still likely bring a similar return next July as rentals as long as they're healthy. If he accepts, retaining him and Dickey as the vets still only puts next year's committed salaries at ~$91,750,000 before renewals and extensions, and letting the two of them walk following the year (or trading them at the deadline if others are ready to step in) along with Markakis' and Rodriguez' deals expiring clears $41,500,000 to spend on the monster free-agent class.

Just me, but I'd still rather spend on Moustakas next winter than get into the bidding wars that are coming with that free-agent class. Moustakas' last two HEALTHY seasons have been All-Star worthy, and signing him to a four year deal gets him right in line to come off the books when you promote Maitan at 21-22 years old.
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-22-2017 at 01:05 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Well we already have the option for Dickey and technically Julio is another vet with Folty having plenty of experience. You really have Newk and one other rookie, but my guess is that could be Medlen. Why do we need any more vets exactly? We are in a weird spot the next few years because we don't need to sign anyone long term or you will be blocking someone (unless they are traded). We will have a TON of pitchers fighting for spots by this time next year.
    I think it would be better to have one vet plus Nook than two relatively unproven guys in our opening day rotation.

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Lol

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-22-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Lol

Thus, he needs to be gone by Wednesday before he pitches in that home run haven.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingFor2017 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-22-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    Rosenthal just said the prospect the Twins were sending was Tommy John surgery Nick Burdi -- a future closer.

I feel like Garcia can get you better than him.... He is the Twins' 16th rated prospect with a FV of 40.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Rosenthal just said the prospect the Twins were sending was Tommy John surgery Nick Burdi -- a future closer.

I feel like Garcia can get you better than him.... He is the Twins' 16th rated prospect with a FV of 40.
    That actually sounds about right for Garcia.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    Burdi was on a roll to make the majors late this year or next year but surgery set him back. He had awesome numbers in AA this year before his setback.

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Hey I called it over in the other thread. What do I win

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Did Burdi just have TJS?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    Did Burdi just have TJS?
    He did in May. That puts him on the DL until very late 2018 or the start of the 2019 season. He will already be 26 in the 2019 season.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingFor2017 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-22-2017)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Thus, he needs to be gone by Wednesday before he pitches in that home run haven.
    Yep, trade him after that last start.

No need for him to pitch again for the Braves.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (07-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Great that it fell through and Garcia had one of the better starts of his career with pitching and with the bat.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Did Burdi just have TJS?
    He did earlier in the season. His brother with the White Sox either just had it last week or is about to

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-22-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Not likely much better. Would do backflips if they were impressed enough with that start last night to pony up Garver.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?