Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Garcia being traded to Twins

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I doubt it. I just think he's an intriguing enough arm and a potential SP and I might actually prefer him to Burdi given that Burdi is pretty much a relief only prospect.

What does worry me about the deal is that we might now waste prospects on a guy like Sonny Gray.
    Trading prospects for Gray is fine.

Trading prospects for Gray NOW and assuming his injury risk in a non-contending season is a foolish gamble.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    And should we look at historical lists for accuracy? This is an inexact science. This guy could be absolute trash of course. But for anyone to sit here and say this person has an absolute value of X is silly.

It looks like this was a salary dump trade anyway which isdissapointing. But any discussion involving prospects needs to include a bit of uncertainty.
    Especially when "uncertainty" is your only argument against being completely wrong....again. And again and again and again.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Trade also cleared two spots on the 40-man roster. Albies about to get called up?

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    The money the Braves saved will help us complete the Stanton trade.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JxnMissFan For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-24-2017), Tapate50 (07-24-2017)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Trading prospects for Gray NOW and assuming his injury risk in a non-contending season is a foolish gamble.
    100% agree. Obviously everything will be determined by the prospect price we pay. But not excited about adding Gray given the market. Would prefer to let Sims or Wisler start the rest of the way, and just see what they can do.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    And should we look at historical lists for accuracy? This is an inexact science. This guy could be absolute trash of course. But for anyone to sit here and say this person has an absolute value of X is silly.

It looks like this was a salary dump trade anyway which isdissapointing. But any discussion involving prospects needs to include a bit of uncertainty.
    Can't have it both ways - if everyone's so hyped about the Braves having so many Top 100 guys on these lists, you have to take the rankings for the other organizations just as seriously.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I just don't like Gray, and think he'll cost too much. I don't think there's an SP on the market right now worth a prospect like Albies or Allard.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    This is a salary dump trade.. It looks like we got them to pay the rest of his salary and also take the rest of Recker's salary while clearing 2 spots off the 40 man roster... did I-Me increase value.. I don't know. Did the twins want to pay the rest of his salary the first time. If not.. then maybe he did slightly increase his value.. doesn't really matter.. I never bought into that anyway. I am WAY more concerned with what Coppy wants to do next. He has 2 spots open on the 40 man roster..
    Coppy

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Here's mlb's take on Ynoa (#22 on Twins' 2017 Top 30): Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 45 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45
    The younger brother of one-time phenom Michael Ynoa, Huascar didn't quite get the $4.25 million payday his brother got from the A's in 2008, but the Twins did see enough in him to give him $800,000 to sign in 2014. A decent pro debut in the Dominican Summer League in 2015 turned into a fantastic United States debut in the Gulf Coast League the following season.

Ynoa offers an interesting three-pitch mix, with an advanced feel for how to use it for his age, coming from a strong and durable body. He touched 94-95 mph with his fastball at times and he could get there more consistently as he gets stronger. He throws a slurvy breaking ball around 80 mph, with some thinking it might eventually evolve into a solid slider. His changeup is ahead of his breaking ball and he has a pretty good feel for it. Considering his delivery is still raw and he's trying to get to a point where he repeats it consistently, Ynoa throws a lot of strikes.

With his pitchability, solid stuff and good pitcher's frame, Ynoa has all of the ingredients to be a starting pitcher. There are refinements to be made, in both command and breaking stuff, but if his progress from one summer to the next a year ago was any indication, there's more to come from this young right-hander.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-24-2017), Hudson2 (07-24-2017), nsacpi (07-24-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    Trade also cleared two spots on the 40-man roster. Albies about to get called up?
    To do what, catch?

Starting Albies' clock at this point would be a huge mistake. If the brass is serious about adding Gray to try to make a run, Dat Dude will be your 2B every day that Camargo isn't the rest of the way.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    So with Bowman saying we traded Garcia for a marginal prospect to get rid of Garcia's salary, why did we ever trade for Garcia? We basically got best-case Garcia (from him not having a year ending injury) and we probably lost the prospect trade portion (Gant and Ellis/Dykstra/Recker for Ynoa).

Would anyone here have traded Gant straight up for Ynoa?
    Last edited by Managuarantano's Volunteers; 07-24-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Wasn't there a report earlier this week from Rosenthal that the Braves were still interested in Brad Brach from the Os? So maybe that's the guy where the money saved from Garcias salary goes. Who knows, but I assume there's another impending move coming fairly soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Can't have it both ways - if everyone's so hyped about the Braves having so many Top 100 guys on these lists, you have to take the rankings for the other organizations just as seriously.
    Fair point.

The variation in an individual player is a lot on projections. You limit the risk when you have so many and that is the reason to be excited about the braves top 10. Half the guys won't make it but the other half may just have very productive careers.

Projecting a 19 year old is the hardest thing to do in baseball. Pretending that evaluators have the conclusive answer is crazy to me.

Would I have liked someone with better priduction? Sure?

Does anyone have an updated scouting report based on work done this year? Isn't it possible there was an uptick in his stuff? All these things are possible.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I just don't like Gray, and think he'll cost too much. I don't think there's an SP on the market right now worth a prospect like Albies or Allard.
    As long as the Braves don't trade Albies, Acuna, Maitan, Wright or Soroka, I have no problem if they convert pitching prospects into MLB pitchers (assuming proper value of course).

It's not the most efficient way, and i would prefer they stay the course and develop their own pitchers, but I wouldn't object too much.

Just not NOW.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post
    So with Bowman saying we traded Garcia for a marginal prospect to get rid of Garcia's salary, why did we ever trade for Garcia? We basically got best-case Garcia from him not having a year ending injury and we probably lost the prospect trade portion (Gant and Ellis/Dykstra/Recker for Ynoa).

he traded for I-Me to win games and protect pitching prospects from coming up.
    Coppy

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal
    Sources: #Twins taking on Garcia's remaining $4.55M plus $200K of $300K owed to Recker. #Braves sent $100K to MIN.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Garcia is a 4/5 who no team really feels comfortable starting in the postseason. Plus, he's a free agent at the end of the year.

We got a live armed lottery ticket for him. That's more or less the reasonable expectation here. You're not getting much more for Jaime Garcia in 2017.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    he traded for I-Me to win games and protect pitching prospects from coming up.
    And to have his value increase after a single start vs the Dodgers lol.

I still can't get over how vigorously these geniuses argued with me....and then the Braves trade him for Ynoa haha.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post
    So with Bowman saying we traded Garcia for a marginal prospect to get rid of Garcia's salary, why did we ever trade for Garcia? We basically got best-case Garcia from him not having a year ending injury and we probably lost the prospect trade portion (Gant and Ellis/Dykstra).

Maybe - would've been close. Definitely like the fact that Ynoa's much younger and won't be causing 40-Man Roster issues anytime soon like Gant was.

The plus for having Garcia is that you bought 4 months of development time for Wisler, Blair, and Sims IN GWINNETT. Certainly worth what we paid him IMO - if one of those three had to be the 5th starter out of the gate, this team wouldn't have sniffed .500 at this point.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Garcia is a 4/5 who no team really feels comfortable starting in the postseason. Plus, he's a free agent at the end of the year.

We got a live armed lottery ticket for him. That's more or less the reasonable expectation here. You're not getting much more for Jaime Garcia in 2017.
    But but but...he pitched a good game vs the Dodgers! His value should have been much higher!!