Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: 7/20 GDT: Atlanta Braves (45-48) vs. Los Angeles Dodgers (66-29)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Can you be clutch without the grit quality? What analysis has been done on this topic?
    they are positively correlated...but no causation in either direction has been established

there are players who are clutch but not gritty...for some strange reason they are not popular with teammates or coaches

and there are the gritty but not clutch...who are popular with casual fans and uninformed announcers...but less popular with sophisticated sabermetric types
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-21-2017 at 09:23 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-21-2017), Julio3000 (07-21-2017), Tapate50 (07-21-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Camargo's BABIP has only dropped ~15 points to .398, and his OPS has already gone down by 50+ points to .803.

The normalization to an OPS in the .600s is underway.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-21-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Very glad Jimmy Johns held on last. I'm mostly excited because my favorite team won, but also excited because I had a bit to drink last night and bet $100 on the Braves at +195
    [channeling my inner Enscheff] Cool—I bet you're going to spend that on a carton of Winstons, a few two-liters of Code Red, and a Richard Petty paint-job for your cinder-blocked Dodge Challenger haha. [/]
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (07-21-2017), Garmel (07-21-2017), Tapate50 (07-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Those West Coast GDTs.
    They're great; I like being able to actually watch the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If the cubs can do it with schwarber then let's do it with swAnson. He needs to play everyday somewhere.
    Fixed. It could be Cobb County, it could be Gwinnett—but he needs regular PA and regular reps at SS for the Braves to assess what they have.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Those West Coast GDTs.
    Back to the old school.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Fixed. It could be Cobb County, it could be Gwinnett—but he needs regular PA and regular reps at SS for the Braves to assess what they have.
    Yeah. He needs to be playing, in Cobb or Gwinnett. Hart failure.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Back to the old school.
    I remember the 91 season. I worked at a bank processing center where we actually took paper checks and ran them through a sorter, which imaged and sorted them to different clearing houses. then we would have to transit them to an airport to go out.. But anyway, I loved the Left coast games because they would be playing while I was working.

Luckily I have moved up to robot teller with a direct link to skynet and as soon as my terminator kills its target, I am going to unleash all hell on your collective asses.
    Coppy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I really think Folty needs more love...He is shaping into a true TOR.

In 18 starts he has a 3.77 ERA but if you take out the 2 crap starts he has (I know you can't take them out but that is why he is not there yet) he has 16 Starts & 2.67 ERA.

If we had a SP that was sitting at 8-4 2.67ERA in July, we would all be creaming over him....he is becoming (if not already become) that pitcher.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post

In 18 starts he has a 3.77 ERA but if you take out the 2 crap starts he has (I know you can't take them out but that is why he is not there yet) he has 16 Starts & 2.67 ERA.

If we had a SP that was sitting at 8-4 2.67ERA in July, we would all be creaming over him....he is becoming (if not already become) that pitcher.
    I have been pimping Folty since this offseason. Due to that fact alone you won't see many folks on these boards show excitement over him haha.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    He reminds me so much of Smoltz back in the beginning. Smotlz had great stuff, but he was emotional and couldn't always control it. Once he figured it out, he had great year after great year.

You will never see Folty with a 1.40 ERA like a Kershaw or anything, but you can win any game he starts and on the big stage (once ATL gets back there), he is the one I would want on the mound.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I have been pimping Folty since this offseason. Due to that fact alone you won't see many folks on these boards show excitement over him haha.
    Do you really think people base their opinions on just disagreeing with you?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Do you really think people base their opinions on just disagreeing with you?

I think several strings of completely nonsensical arguments against points I make are proof positive they do.

Hell, one time Gov resorted to arguing with me over the definition of a word in a desperate attempt to be "right" about something lol.

Double hell, just last night someone argued with me because I said Suzuki received a ball poorly and likely cost Folty a called strike. He then went off on a tangential tirade about Folty giving up a hard hit ball...as if that somehow proved me wrong about Suzuki's framing of a single pitch haha.

Just yesterday, you and Southcrack disagreed with me over Medlen's service time. Then he posted a table that proved he was wrong (which he didn't even realize) and you guys STILL argued against me over it. Post after post you guys argued over a fact you didn't understand.

I could post "the sky is a nice shade of blue today", and someone here would try to disagree using a completely unrelated point as proof...."you idiot, that Camaro over there is even more blue!!".
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-21-2017 at 03:30 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post

He isn't a TOR guy by any means. The homeruns look like they will always be an issue.

However, he is an average pitcher and for a team that has had just two average pitchers over the last few years (Teheran and Shelby) that shines bright. If you squint hard enough you can see the outline of a capable 2018 major league rotation with Teheran, Dickey, Newk and Folty.

What I would like to see this offseason is for us to sign another league average pitcher like we did with Colon and Dickey (or trade for one like we did with Jaime). if there is an Archer type available, then I would consider that too but I wouldn't prioritize it.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think several strings of completely nonsensical arguments against points I make are proof positive they do.

Hell, one time Gov resorted to arguing with me over the definition of a word in a desperate attempt to be "right" about something lol.

Double hell, just last night someone argued with me because I said Suzuki received a ball poorly and likely cost Folty a called strike. He then went off on a tangential tirade about Folty giving up a hard hit ball...as if that somehow proved me wrong about Suzuki's framing of a single pitch haha.

Just yesterday, you and Southcrack disagreed with me over Medlen's service time. Then he posted a table that proved he was wrong (which he didn't even realize) and you guys STILL argued against me over it. Post after post you guys argued over a fact you didn't understand.

I could post "the sky is a nice shade of blue today", and someone here would try to disagree using a completely unrelated point as proof...."you idiot, that Camaro over there is even more blue!!".
    sounds like anecdotal evidence to me!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    He isn't a TOR guy by any means. The homeruns look like they will always be an issue.
    He isn't now, for sure—he's just average in 2017—but I think you're underselling his ceiling; I think the pieces are there to elevate to a consistently good-to-great #2, even if he's never likely to ascend to true ace status. That #2 tier may be the least-likely quintile, but I still think the potential is there and non-trivial.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post

However, he is an average pitcher and for a team that has had just two average pitchers over the last few years (Teheran and Shelby) that shines bright. If you squint hard enough you can see the outline of a capable 2018 major league rotation with Teheran, Dickey, Newk and Folty.

What I would like to see this offseason is for us to sign another league average pitcher like we did with Colon and Dickey (or trade for one like we did with Jaime). if there is an Archer type available, then I would consider that too but I wouldn't prioritize it.
    Average durable pitchers are very valuable. He's a beast against righties but needs to improve a lot against lefties to be TOR starter. His cheap contract will allows us to have money to spend on a number 2 starter. He has the size to be a durable pitcher.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Has Folty started to throw a split or forkball? some of those hard downers looked like a split...just not sure if they were hard curveballs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Has Folty started to throw a split or forkball? some of those hard downers looked like a split...just not sure if they were hard curveballs.
    The one he struck Seager out with was a great pitch, whatever it was.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

25. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-21-2017)

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The one he struck Seager out with was a great pitch, whatever it was.
    I'd to see a lot more of that against lefties. His OPS against is about 250 points higher against lefties. His ground ball to fly ball ratio is actually great against righties. Almost twice as many fly balls per out against lefties. So he does have a solid chance to really improve his hr/9 if he can throw splitters against them.