Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: WEDNESDAY MINORS FINAL 7/26 ... GCL Hitters on Rampage

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I would like Albies to get the K rate back to previous levels at AAA before I promoted him.
    I get that concern, but I'm not really worried about him. He has done a better than good job overall and I think he's about the only one in the rebuild that garners being promoted (he did before Swanson), but I can wait on the service time if necessary. As it stands, I wouldn't let anyone on this team currently to block him next year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I would like Albies to get the K rate back to previous levels at AAA before I promoted him.
    I would like it to come down, but it has already been gradually coming back down.

While the FO is certainly very aggressive and you can disagree with that, I think what you're proposing is too far the other way. I don't think it's imperative that a player get their results in line with previous levels before they are promoted again. It would be great if they did, but sometimes guys are ready and their results aren't quite showing it, or sometimes you just need to go ahead and promote them and give them a shot.

Once again, Albies should stay down for the first 2-3 weeks next year. But I see no valid reason why it's really best for him to continue staying down beyond that.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I would like it to come down, but it has already been gradually coming back down.

While the FO is certainly very aggressive and you can disagree with that, I think what you're proposing is too far the other way. I don't think it's imperative that a player get their results in line with previous levels before they are promoted again. It would be great if they did, but sometimes guys are ready and their results aren't quite showing it, or sometimes you just need to go ahead and promote them and give them a shot.

Once again, Albies should stay down for the first 2-3 weeks next year. But I see no valid reason why it's really best for him to continue staying down beyond that.
    I wouldn't hold him back farther then that. Learning at the big league level is important. My comment about him not playing well enough to start 2018 is more a long the lines of that he hasn't dominated to the point he has to play. It would be a different situation if this was 20 years ago but it's a different era now. Pre-FA players are the most valuable in the game. We need to be maximizing that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Albies has been really good in AAA since his start, incredible for a 20 year old, but he's hardly forced the FO's hand. Just because he's performing really well for a 20 year old doesn't mean he should be called up. Let him be tearing the cover off the ball. He's had one stellar month. He's at a .770 OPS in July. Very good for his age? Definitely. Undeniably call-up ready? Uh, no. There's no reason to do it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Right now he's in the 18-20% range monthly and that's pretty steady. That's better than his first month but still elevated in a sustained way.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts

I don't think anyone on this board has ever suggested Albies stay down any longer than 2 weeks into next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'd be so pissed if I was a player and I was held back for 2 weeks. Such a punk move. I don't like it and I don't care if it hurts the team I love.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I'd be so pissed if I was a player and I was held back for 2 weeks. Such a punk move. I don't like it and I don't care if it hurts the team I love.
    So mad you'd refuse to sign an extension?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    So mad you'd refuse to sign an extension?
    It might impact some but certainly not all.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Why??? Seriously, this is a business. The way you look at this is so short-sighted.

The bottom line -- and this is ESPECIALLY TRUE -- with phenoms that are threatening to break into the bigs at like 21 years old, that extra year of control is a really big deal. It matters. It matters way more than two weeks. That's the system MLB teams operate under, to not take advantage of that system as a front-office is plain foolish. Until the rules change, its the front office's responsibility to the franchise to maximize their team's long-term success. Keeping guys down for two weeks is part of that strategy for teams that don't have huge payrolls.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Why??? Seriously, this is a business. The way you look at this is so short-sighted.

The bottom line -- and this is ESPECIALLY TRUE -- with phenoms that are threatening to break into the bigs at like 21 years old, that extra year of control is a really big deal. It matters. It matters way more than two weeks. That's the system MLB teams operate under, to not take advantage of that system as a front-office is plain foolish. Until the rules change, its the front office's responsibility to the franchise to maximize their team's long-term success. Keeping guys down for two weeks is part of that strategy for teams that don't have huge payrolls.
    thethe holds this view because the Braves FO has said they never consider service time when promoting players.

The Braves FO thinks it's right, so thethe thinks it's right. Simple really.

Think of thethe as Sean Spicer, or Ms. Conway, or Sarah Huckabee Sanders. Blind agreement at all times.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-27-2017 at 12:44 PM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I don't see how it's any different than a company waiting til year end to give out promotions, even you might deserve one in April.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

I understand that argument and I'm sure most would agree.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I don't think anyone on this board has ever suggested Albies stay down any longer than 2 weeks into next year.
    Well, I would assume anyone who believes his performance in AAA doesn't warrant him being on the Opening Day roster would also believe he shouldn't be up 2 weeks into the year, either.

That's the idea I was responding to. Now that it appears thewupk is simply saying he hasn't been so good that the Braves can't hold him down past Opening Day, then sure, I agree. But I honestly don't think any level of performance would mean that.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I don't see how it's any different than a company waiting til year end to give out promotions, even you might deserve one in April.
    that is close, but not really.. It is like a company holding you back from a huge promotion (Free agency) for one more year because they want to keep you in that department for that year.. even if you deserved that promotion.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Right now he's in the 18-20% range monthly and that's pretty steady. That's better than his first month but still elevated in a sustained way.
    Elevated, sure. Worrisome, or bad enough to consider keeping him down? Nah.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Elevated, sure. Worrisome, or bad enough to consider keeping him down? Nah.
    I think it can easily be used as a reason to keep him down until next year. It's not the least bit concerning for me but it doesn't scream promotion.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I think it can easily be used as a reason to keep him down until next year. It's not the least bit concerning for me but it doesn't scream promotion.
    I think we're talking about two separate things. Yes, I want the Braves to keep him down until at least 2 weeks into the season. If they need to point to his K rate to give people a justification for that decision, then fine.

Do I think a K rate of 20% that has been gradually coming down should warrant Albies sitting down further on merit? Definitely not.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-27-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I think we're talking about two separate things. Yes, I want the Braves to keep him down until at least 2 weeks into the season. If they need to point to his K rate to give people a justification for that decision, then fine.

Do I think a K rate of 20% that has been gradually coming down should warrant Albies sitting down further on merit? Definitely not.
    like you are saying, there is a difference in 'deserving' a promotion and 'business' decision. Ozzie has accomplished all he needs to in the minors. He would be better served in the majors in my opinion. Do I want him up.. I can lean either way on the argument.
    Coppy

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    like you are saying, there is a difference in 'deserving' a promotion and 'business' decision. Ozzie has accomplished all he needs to in the minors. He would be better served in the majors in my opinion. Do I want him up.. I can lean either way on the argument.
    Yep, and that's why this over aggressive promoting the Braves are doing is so problematic. If we hold back a couple weeks at the start of next season it would obviously be a pure business move, and look bad. And we are going to be in the same position with many of our better players the way they are promoting them. If we were promoting more normally we could time their promotions more efficiently so they get a half season in AAA then get called up (obviously doesn't apply to Albies here, he's been in AAA long enough). Which is hopefully what happens with Soroka, Gohara, and Acuna next year, though I have small hope of the Braves FO doing that at this point.