What's that mean, bad or good?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What's that mean, bad or good?

Now, I am not the best person for service time issues, but I believe he acquires a year of service time at 172 days. So, I think to get back the extra year of control, he'd have to stay down until the last week of the season. I easily could be wrong.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Now, I am not the best person for service time issues, but I believe he acquires a year of service time at 172 days. So, I think to get back the extra year of control, he'd have to stay down until the last week of the season. I easily could be wrong.
    There is a vagueness to the sept 40 man call up.. I read that a player on the 40 man roster who gets called up after Sept. 1, accrues a small amount of service time.. but it may be that he accrues like normal. You are correct on the 172 days. Swanson is 9 days away from getting the full year.. If he would have been sent down in early July instead of benched for BABiP god.. he could have been called up in early Sept most likely.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    There is a vagueness to the sept 40 man call up.. I read that a player on the 40 man roster who gets called up after Sept. 1, accrues a small amount of service time.. but it may be that he accrues like normal. You are correct on the 172 days. Swanson is 9 days away from getting the full year.. If he would have been sent down in early July instead of benched for BABiP god.. he could have been called up in early Sept most likely.
    If/when he comes back up (even as a part of the 40 man call up in Sept) he will gain service time like normal.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    If/when he comes back up (even as a part of the 40 man call up in Sept) he will gain service time like normal.
    I couldn't find that specifically spelled out anywhere. I did read that if a player has never been on the 25 man roster and is called up Sept. 1, then he only gains a small amount of service time and his 'clock' is not started.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I couldn't find that specifically spelled out anywhere. I did read that if a player has never been on the 25 man roster and is called up Sept. 1, then he only gains a small amount of service time and his 'clock' is not started.

if anyone has a link to MLB's organizational rules that covers this stuff, I'd love it if you would provide.

All I can find are the official rules of the game.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    You are right, assuming he is on the roster opening day 2018 and never goes back down.

The oddity comes from the fact that 172 days equals a full year of service, but there are typically 183 days in a MLB season.

Teams that wait to call up top prospects (Cubs with Bryant) call them up when there are 171 days left in the MLB season. That means they call him up 12+ days into the season, which is where the "leave him in AAA for 2 weeks" line is the rule of thumb.

Bryant had exactly 171 days of service time his first season. They seem to be compensating him for that by giving him the largest pre-arb salaries ever seen.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Actually Snit is one of the lesser culprits in this saga.

It wast snit who decided to bench him but keep him in ATL instead of sending him down? Either way he should either play full time in ATL or in AAA but that limbo period was dumb.

Its also dumb that Markakis keeps playing every day when hes terrrrrrrrrrrrible but whatevs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    It wast snit who decided to bench him but keep him in ATL instead of sending him down? Either way he should either play full time in ATL or in AAA but that limbo period was dumb.

Its also dumb that Markakis keeps playing every day when hes terrrrrrrrrrrrible but whatevs.
    I don't think Snit has final decision making power on who gets called up and who gets sent down. His role in this was favoring Camargo in terms of playing time. He was pretty clear that was what was going to happen. It is not as if he snuck this past his colleagues in the front office.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-28-2017)