Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gohara

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I agree with you, but I do think you can sell the casual fan by adding names like Kemp, Markakis, Phillips, etc. Sure we all realize they're well past their prime and provide very little, but that name value is worth something to the casual fan that doesn't pay close attention. Now that those names aren't producing anything serious in the win column, I bet they're feeling the heat and feel the need to be way too aggressive with these prospects.
    I guess the operative word is "casual fan." You're definitely correct on that. Most of the baseball world would puke at the sound of those names even if they were on a hot streak. I just like fluidity when it comes to a rebuild. Much to my chagrin it's what the Hawks have to do. They were strapped with stupid contracts and losing good pieces for nothing so now they have no choice but to rebuild and do it the way I believe it should be done. Pieces that can be moved without taking away from the objective. (Different sport, I digress). Because of the aforementioned names, we're making decisions that are...intriguingly head scratching.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I think this has to do with touki more than gohara
    LOL seriously? They were in such a hurry to promote Touki that they had to make room for him?

Jesus man, just stop.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I love Touki, but his ERA is STILL 5.04 ERA in Florida. Dude shouldn't sniff Mississippi, at least not until he continues his recent success.
    That ERA means nothing to me.
    I'd have left him in A+, but it has nothing to do with his ERA.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    That ERA means nothing to me.
    I'd have left him in A+, but it has nothing to do with his ERA.
    I'm surprised he got promoted with that 3-9 record.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

4maddux_cy's (07-27-2017), sturg33 (07-27-2017), Super (07-27-2017), UNCBlue012 (07-27-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    I like aggressive, but not aggressive and stupid.

Gohara is being aggressive (which is fine but if he struggles a bit in AAA, give him the time there and don't be in a hurry) but Touki is being aggressive and stupid. He (as well as Riley but that's another story) is the kind of prospect that needs to have it taken slow (very slow compared to how the Braves have worked in '16 and '17).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    They sold moving to the new stadium as some huge revenue booster. 100 games into the season they are 12th in MLB in average attendance. Despite the rainbows thethe constantly tries to blow up everyone's ass, the summer boost is almost over, and they are on pace for 2.5-2.6 million fans total. That is an almost negligible increase over the Turner Field pre-rebuild numbers (2014 and earlier)...not good.

My guess is they (including folks above Coppy's pay grade) aren't delivering the revenue boost they promised with the new stadium, and they are feeling heat to generate excitement and boost attendance/revenue.
    Their season attendance will come in at about what their goal was. We still don't have a good team, so comparing these numbers with Turner Field's when we were winning 90+ and running out guys like Heyward and Justin Upton doesn't seem all that relevant.

Attendance will continue to increase from this year's numbers as we win more. The new stadium has provided about the boost it should have, and now winning will drive it further.

But when discussing these promotions, they're obviously being aggressive with a lot of guys. But why do we always assume this is being driving by a purely business motive? Our FO likes to promote aggressively, but so far it has worked out almost across the board, and they have proven to be conservative with other guys as well.

Gohara has blitzed AA after blitzing A+. They seem to believe he's ready for AAA. Touki has pitched very well in A+ this year and has made clear improvements, so I guess they want to see if he can sustain that at an even higher level. And let's all remember that he spent two entire seasons in low-A, it's not like we've just been rushing him for the sake of rushing him. Until these promotions start backfiring on us, why would people be so up in arms about them and question them so much? Just let it play out, it's been working.
    Last edited by smootness; 07-27-2017 at 11:19 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (07-27-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    The Braves haven't done a full rebuild in the JS era. It stands to reason it wouldn't have been approved if they didn't think they could compete by 2017.

Pozzy-Barves love to say "compete by 2017" was just lip service...because they aren't competing in 2017.

I am 100% confident we saw a half-in rebuild because this FO truly thought they were so smart they could compete by 2017.

They aren't that smart, they can't compete by 2017, and now they are rushing guys to cover up this glaring mistake.

We are about to see several very valuable prospects mishandled like Swanson, mostly with the same results.
    I said it was lip service before the season began. A team that was actually trying to compete would not have made the moves they made. They would not have refused to commit long term money, they would not have refused to cash in valuable prospects.

They were clearly trying to field a competitive team from whatever scraps they could put together.

You off and on acknowledge that it was just a trick to fool dumb dumb fans who don't know better, but you tend to balance that with the crazed idea that this is what a front office that was trying to contend would have thought was the best path. If they were trying to win, they would have gone and done one of the "WIN NOW STUPID TRADES" that you have been criticizing them for not making all season.

Maybe they do something dumb here at the deadline, but I am 100% certain that whatever it is they do will be to acquire something that they believe will also help the club in 2019.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 07-27-2017 at 11:41 AM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Their season attendance will come in at about what their goal was. We still don't have a good team, so comparing these numbers with Turner Field's when we were winning 90+ and running out guys like Heyward and Justin Upton doesn't seem all that relevant.

Attendance will continue to increase from this year's numbers as we win more. The new stadium has provided about the boost it should have, and now winning will drive it further.

But when discussing these promotions, they're obviously being aggressive with a lot of guys. But why do we always assume this is being driving by a purely business motive? Our FO likes to promote aggressively, but so far it has worked out almost across the board, and they have proven to be conservative with other guys as well.

Gohara has blitzed AA after blitzing A+. They seem to believe he's ready for AAA. Touki has pitched very well in A+ this year and has made clear improvements, so I guess they want to see if he can sustain that at an even higher level. And let's all remember that he spent two entire seasons in low-A, it's not like we've just been rushing him for the sake of rushing him. Until these promotions start backfiring on us, why would people be so up in arms about them and question them so much? Just let it play out, it's been working.
    What, you mean people shouldn't *itch just for the sake of *itching? Where's the fun in that???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I live that the braves are telling their kids, "If you play well you'll get rewarded".

That is the only message the organization should be sending.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-27-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    They sold moving to the new stadium as some huge revenue booster. 100 games into the season they are 12th in MLB in average attendance. Despite the rainbows thethe constantly tries to blow up everyone's ass, the summer boost is almost over, and they are on pace for 2.5-2.6 million fans total. That is an almost negligible increase over the Turner Field pre-rebuild numbers (2014 and earlier)...not good.

My guess is they (including folks above Coppy's pay grade) aren't delivering the revenue boost they promised with the new stadium, and they are feeling heat to generate excitement and boost attendance/revenue.
    Avg attendance can be deceiving. The dodgers have the highest avg attendance at 44,943. They can seat 56,000 though, so they avg 80.3% of capacity. The braves avg 31,755 and suntrust seats 41,149, so they avg 77.1% of capacity.

Also, don't the braves lead MLB in rain delays?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Avg attendance can be deceiving. The dodgers have the highest avg attendance at 44,943. They can seat 56,000 though, so they avg 80.3% of capacity. The braves avg 31,755 and suntrust seats 41,149, so they avg 77.1% of capacity.

Also, don't the braves lead MLB in rain delays?
    Another mistake by the Braves. No roof. They just keep on coming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Another mistake by the Braves. No roof. They just keep on coming.
    I think your love of the braves has crossed over to hate. Thin line and all...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Promoting Gohara to AAA isn't stupid, per se. AA and AAA aren't that different, and he's killing AA. I just hope that doesn't mean he'll be in the majors soon. Though it looks like next year is inevitable now.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think your love of the braves has crossed over to hate. Thin line and all...
    I do love to hate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I do love to hate
    Me too haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Soroka needs to go to AAA. He's not being challenged in AA and has nothing left to prove there.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-27-2017), JohnAdcox (07-27-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Promote all you want in the Minors. don't send them to Atlanta without need or reason. If they are not ready, they will show it and eventually hit the wall. Acuna is cooled a bit. This is good. I want to see him adjust to MLB quality pitching.

Gohard is 21 and about to be on the 40 man at the end of the year. He very well could be in AAA all year next year and then be a sept call up in 2018 at 22.. That is like one year faster than what Sims will be doing this year. Touki is 21.. Not worried about challenging him in AA.. every stat head here should agree that Touki has made very nice strides this year. Plus, I get to watch him now.. BOOM..

so I am not so critical on these moves like I am on the Dansby debacle..
    Coppy

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-27-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Brett
    1:44 Atlanta promoted Luiz Gohara to AAA today. Are you a fan of the move? What do you think his ceiling could be?

Keith Law
    1:44 #2 starter. I guess you could argue it's ace stuff and size but he's never indicated that he'll have that kind of command/control.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    Brett
    1:44 Atlanta promoted Luiz Gohara to AAA today. Are you a fan of the move? What do you think his ceiling could be?

Keith Law
    1:44 #2 starter. I guess you could argue it's ace stuff and size but he's never indicated that he'll have that kind of command/control.
    It's silly to put a "ceiling" of a #2 on a guy with his stuff. "Ceilings" are very subjective, almost to the point of being useless.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Manu
    1:48 Is it possible to see Acuņa in ATL this year?

Keith Law
    1:48 I bet he and Gohara come up in September.