Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: AcuņaMania

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    It will be interesting to see what our Intl Dept produces since the "Coppy" era officially began. Maitan would be a pretty huge piece of that, but all of the lower value signings would be the ones to offer a true comparison.
    Well, I guess the Johns could have made Acuna and Albies throw ins on trades, but I am glad they were smart enough not to do that. I am happy they recognized what they had and continued to develop them. That should be worth some modest amount of credit even thought they were originally signed under the Wren administration..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    We've definitely covered it but during our good run a few years ago very few of the major pieces responsible came from Wren. We were being carried by guys who pre-dated Wren. It's odd to give him a bunch of credit for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Doesn't matter. Both were signed relatively cheaply.

Didnt break the bank like Maitan and we were still a relatively competive team just coming off a division title.
    But you are trying to take a dig with the statement. The international department was built under JS. If you can prove the guys that made the relationships with Acuna/Ablies family were brought in by Wren then he deserves credit.

All Wren did was push out our best organization guys. Luckily that didn't seem to trickle into the international department. I have a feeling the Braves give their scouting departments a lot of autonomy and don't answer to the GM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    But you are trying to take a dig with the statement. The international department was built under JS. If you can prove the guys that made the relationships with Acuna/Ablies family were brought in my Wren then he deserves credit.

All Wren did was push out our best organization guys. Luckily that didn't seem to trickle into the international department. I have a feeling the Braves give their scouting departments a lot of autonomy and don't answer to the GM.
    I wish we would have let Wren do the trades of Heyward, Upton, kimbrel, Simmons, and Wood before firing him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I wish we would have let Wren do the trades of Heyward, Upton, kimbrel, Simmons, and Wood before firing him
    Wren was an excellent trader. Can't deny that.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    You think he could have turned Heyward into more?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    You think he could have turned Heyward into more?
    I'd bet he could have turned Heyward into more than Miller.

I don't think anyone does better for Miller.. but yet again, we owe Dave Stewart a drink for that one.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I'd bet he could have turned Heyward into more than Miller.

I don't think anyone does better for Miller.. but yet again, we owe Dave Stewart a drink for that one.
    Sure, but we still are the only team that actually pulled that off. You don't know what happens there if Wren is pulling the levers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Wren was an excellent trader. Can't deny that.
    He traded for Uggla, which is the sound that I made when he did it, and the sound that Braves fans made after his at bats.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    He traded for Uggla, which is the sound that I made when he did it, and the sound that Braves fans made after his at bats.
    Uggla goes to my church and I see him when he picks up his kid. I always say Hi, but there is part of me still irrationally mad at him

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (08-22-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Just don't let him near the draft or FA signings.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The Uggla trade was great. The extension turned out horrible.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

buck75 (08-22-2017), smootness (08-22-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The Uggla trade was great. The extension turned out horrible.
    Personally, I'd rather have kept Infante.

The extension was ludicrously dumb from the beginning.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    2011 Infante 2.3 WAR $2.5m Uggla 2.3 WAR $9m
    2012 Infante 3.0 WAR $4m Uggla 3.4 WAR $13m
    2013 Infante 3.1 WAR $4m Uggla .5 WAR $13m
    2014 Infante .04 WAR $5m Uggla -.08 WAR $13m
    2015 Infante -1.0 WAR 7.5m Uggla -.1 WAR $13 million

When you throw Mike Dunn being a serviceable reliever and add in the fact that Infante signed a 2 year deal at a reasonable number with the Fish, I don't think the Braves particularly win the trade. I hated it from moment one and it only got worse in my view from there.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-22-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    My only gripe with the Heyward trade is that I thought it should have been expanded to include Heyward's replacement in RF; someone like Grichuk or Piscotty. I know some rued the inclusion of Walden, but I could see that downturn coming.

Looks like the Simmons and Wood trades will turn out bad-to-very bad, although I still hold out hope for Newcomb. I get the inclusion of Melvin in the Kimbrel deal killed the return and I would have preferred they just release Melvin, but this front office seems to have a problem with paying guys to play elsewhere (although they did it with Uggla).

I'm not as down on the J. Upton deal. Could have gone quality over quantity, but Mallex being flipped for Gohara (although I didn't really cotton to the deal) may turn out just grand. Hard to tell with Dustin Peterson's injury.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    My only gripe with the Heyward trade is that I thought it should have been expanded to include Heyward's replacement in RF; someone like Grichuk or Piscotty. I know some rued the inclusion of Walden, but I could see that downturn coming.

Looks like the Simmons and Wood trades will turn out bad-to-very bad, although I still hold out hope for Newcomb. I get the inclusion of Melvin in the Kimbrel deal killed the return and I would have preferred they just release Melvin, but this front office seems to have a problem with paying guys to play elsewhere (although they did it with Uggla).

I'm not as down on the J. Upton deal. Could have gone quality over quantity, but Mallex being flipped for Gohara (although I didn't really cotton to the deal) may turn out just grand. Hard to tell with Dustin Peterson's injury.

They also released what's his name that came back for Chris Johnson. I think all front offices are reluctant to eat big salaries for players when they have some hope to save part of that salary -- particularly when they aren't really focused on winning.

the Upton deal was solid. that was a lot of a year of a non-elite hitter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Gave extention to Chris Johnson

\End Thread since we can't stop talking about the Wren era musings.
    Ivermectin Man

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    If the FO planned on rebuilding anyways, why not just keep BJ and let him rot for helping the team not make the playoffs, and if he did build his value back up trade him.
    Forever Fredi

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    If the FO planned on rebuilding anyways, why not just keep BJ and let him rot for helping the team not make the playoffs, and if he did build his value back up trade him.
    By all reports, he was destroying the clubhouse. Even in a rebuild, chemistry matters. It must have been really bad for them to want him gone that badly.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Exactly.

The whole argument that you have to put ML players out there during a rebuild (defense of the Markakis signing and to an extent the Kemp trade) goes out the window if you just keep and play the guy you're paying big money to. Would the Braves have lost a game or two more with BJ in the OF instead of Markakis? Surely. But what difference does it make? So the Braves draft first instead of fifth. So 10,000 less fans show up to the park in 2016.

And there's always the possibility BJ goes on a streak of good play that convinces people enough that he has turned it around where you could trade him on his own merits, if for virtually nothing.

The same thing for Bourn and Nick Swisher. If you're going to trade Johnson for them then cut them why not just cut Johnson. Sure the Braves got some cash coming back in the deal but why not just let Bourn and Swisher play out there contracts badly filling roles on an already bad team?

The FO never committed to a true rebuild. They wanted to hamstring themselves by shooting for ugly mediocrity, then failed to achieve that.