Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: AcuņaMania

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    $12M in value many years from now. whatever. call him up. the braves have sucked for years now. he'll get that super duper extended contract anyhow if he shows he's legit.
    "Many years from now" it will be closer to $15M+. Not exactly chump change for a team hoping to have a $150M payroll, but isn't even close to that yet.

These extremely shortsighted moves have already begun to backfire on the Braves. How many more do they have to make before folks wise up?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-19-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    "Many years from now" it will be closer to $15M+. Not exactly chump change for a team hoping to have a $150M payroll, but isn't even close to that yet.

These extremely shortsighted moves have already begun to backfire on the Braves. How many more do they have to make before folks wise up?
    They won't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts

What difference would a fan wising up mean? Is there anything you or I could do about it?
    Last edited by Tapate50; 08-19-2017 at 05:27 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

we're going two complete assumptions. i think the braves **** around with payroll and a few million dollars means nothing. you seem to trust them at their word.

he's going to get extended and i and no other fan on earth should give two ****s about liberty saving a couple million buck.

technically yes, the braves can try to squeeze every dollar out they can. a few million dollars over 10 years is nothing and you act like you're the greatest ****ing GM in the game. i'll better this and maybe smart fans will figure it out, maybe not, but if the Braves and smart fans were super smart (not you), the Braves would wait three more years on Acuna, right as they're forced to put him on the 40 then call him up.

yeah, he may spend the next three years in AAA, but think of the savings!!!

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    seriously, it's beyond clear the brave are going to struggle again next year.

guess calling him up at all next year is just a waste of money.

i love the keyboard GM experts here who for some reason believe they're gatekeepers to atlanta's accounting book. i swear half of the posters here must be CPAs. complete tunnel vision.

what's this about increased revs from the new stadium? bah, let's all argue to keep the team down so they keep saving!

oh, and he's going to get extended and the johns will be long dead by the time any of these extra few millions matter.

you're talking about the best prospect in baseball and dicking around for a few million dollars. it's completely absurd.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chipchildress For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (08-19-2017)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    It makes sense to call him up in May next year but one would guess he's called up in September and we can only pray they can work out an extension and prove he's legit.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

What's sad and I'm just guessing here but I don't think it's a stretch to say Liberty Media is probably more valuable than just about any other ownership in MLB...however, since they're a corporation everything is about the bottom line and a set budget

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    we're going two complete assumptions. i think the braves **** around with payroll and a few million dollars means nothing. you seem to trust them at their word.

he's going to get extended and i and no other fan on earth should give two ****s about liberty saving a couple million buck.

technically yes, the braves can try to squeeze every dollar out they can. a few million dollars over 10 years is nothing and you act like you're the greatest ****ing GM in the game. i'll better this and maybe smart fans will figure it out, maybe not, but if the Braves and smart fans were super smart (not you), the Braves would wait three more years on Acuna, right as they're forced to put him on the 40 then call him up.

yeah, he may spend the next three years in AAA, but think of the savings!!!
    I have no clue what this barely English rant means, but I assume it means something along the lines of "Liberty Media can afford an extra $12M".

While that is likely true, fact of the matter is the Braves operate on a fixed payroll, and $12M will be a significant chunk of it. Money needlessly paid to Acuna could be used to make the other parts of the roster better.

I'm sorry you can't grasp it, but it doesn't require a CPA to realize that fact.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-19-2017 at 01:08 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    It makes sense to call him up in May next year but one would guess he's called up in September and we can only pray they can work out an extension and prove he's legit.
    He's not going to be called up this September. The only reason why really being 40 man roster problems. If there wasn't going to be a 40 man roster crunch he probably comes up then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    He's not going to be called up this September. The only reason why really being 40 man roster problems. If there wasn't going to be a 40 man roster crunch he probably comes up then.
    I don't see a 40 man roster crunch this off-season.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I don't see a 40 man roster crunch this off-season.
    I suspect there will be unless there are several trades made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Don't see it this year. Next year could be rough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Here's who I think they will care about protecting or using spots for:

1. Dickey
    2. Folty
    3. Newcomb
    4. Teheran
    5. Veteran starting pitcher to be acquired
    6. Vizcaino
    7. Ramirez
    8. Johnson
    9. Flowers
    10. Suzuki or other backup catcher
    11. Freeman
    12. Adams
    13. Albies
    14. Swanson
    15. Camargo
    16. Santana
    17. Kemp
    18. Inciarte
    19. Markakis
    20. Dustin Peterson
    21. Ruiz
    22. Fried
    23. Sims
    24. Wisler
    25. Gohara
    26. Lindgren

That's about it.

After that there is a group of relievers: Sam Freeman, Krol, Brothers, Morris, Jackson, Biddle, Cabrera, Hursch, Rivero, Winkler. Some of them will undoubtedly be protected. But it would not be a big deal to lose a couple of these guys. Same goes for Blair.

There are also guys like Jace Peterson, Micah Johnson, Adonis Garcia and Lane Adams. Maybe we protect two of them, but again it would not be a big deal to lose any of these guys.

There is no 40 man roster crunch. It is an urban legend. We are not at risk of losing anyone of value to the upcoming Rule 5 draft.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-19-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-19-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Really wish there was some news about Rivero. Was really excited to see the strikeout machine.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-19-2017), Garmel (08-19-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Here's who I think they will care about protecting or using spots for:

1. Dickey
    2. Folty
    3. Newcomb
    4. Teheran
    5. Veteran starting pitcher to be acquired
    6. Vizcaino
    7. Ramirez
    8. Johnson
    9. Flowers
    10. Suzuki or other backup catcher
    11. Freeman
    12. Adams
    13. Albies
    14. Swanson
    15. Camargo
    16. Santana
    17. Kemp
    18. Inciarte
    19. Markakis
    20. Dustin Peterson
    21. Ruiz
    22. Fried
    23. Sims
    24. Wisler
    25. Gohara
    26. Lindgren

That's about it.

After that there is a group of relievers: Sam Freeman, Krol, Brothers, Morris, Jackson, Biddle, Cabrera, Hursch, Rivero, Winkler. Some of them will undoubtedly be protected. But it would not be a big deal to lose a couple of these guys. Same goes for Blair.

There are also guys like Jace Peterson, Micah Johnson, Adonis Garcia and Lane Adams. Maybe we protect two of them, but again it would not be a big deal to lose any of these guys.

There is no 40 man roster crunch. It is an urban legend. We are not at risk of losing anyone of value to the upcoming Rule 5 draft.
    I think it's fair to expect Acuna to be added, taking up another spot - but still not putting us in danger of losing anyone that's really considered a "core piece". If and when they add Soroka and Allard, you'll likely see guys like Blair, Wisler, and even Sims traded or simply cut loose to make room in the Gwinnett rotation.

The truth that many others have pointed out is that a lot of those concerns are going to work themselves out as the SPs start arriving. If Gohara's ready and Newcomb hasn't improved his control a bit, you could always see Newcomb as a replacement for Krol or Brothers who are simply cut loose. Fried might end up replacing the other one. Same thing goes for Sims replacing Jackson, Cabrera, or Hursh.

What "crunch" the Braves might begin to face won't begin to pop up until after next season IMO.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I think it's fair to expect Acuna to be added, taking up another spot - but still not putting us in danger of losing anyone that's really considered a "core piece". If and when they add Soroka and Allard, you'll likely see guys like Blair, Wisler, and even Sims traded or simply cut loose to make room in the Gwinnett rotation.

The truth that many others have pointed out is that a lot of those concerns are going to work themselves out as the SPs start arriving. If Gohara's ready and Newcomb hasn't improved his control a bit, you could always see Newcomb as a replacement for Krol or Brothers who are simply cut loose. Fried might end up replacing the other one. Same thing goes for Sims replacing Jackson, Cabrera, or Hursh.

What "crunch" the Braves might begin to face won't begin to pop up until after next season IMO.
    Would you suggest the Braves go with a 39 man roster like you thought they'd go with a 24 man active roster for a while?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    seriously, it's beyond clear the brave are going to struggle again next year.

guess calling him up at all next year is just a waste of money.

i love the keyboard GM experts here who for some reason believe they're gatekeepers to atlanta's accounting book. i swear half of the posters here must be CPAs. complete tunnel vision.

what's this about increased revs from the new stadium? bah, let's all argue to keep the team down so they keep saving!

oh, and he's going to get extended and the johns will be long dead by the time any of these extra few millions matter.

you're talking about the best prospect in baseball and dicking around for a few million dollars. it's completely absurd.
    He's not the best prospect in baseball yet. Also I wouldn't call 15+ million "a few million" either.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    He's not the best prospect in baseball yet. Also I wouldn't call 15+ million "a few million" either.
    Debatable....he's close to it if not. Vladimir Jr had a case.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Debatable....he's close to it if not. Vladimir Jr had a case.
    It is debatable. I just don't think he's a unanimous guy right now. That may change by the time the offseason roles around. And whether he's #1 or #2 doesn't really matter either.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Him being the top prospect would be even more incentive to maximize his value. Such an odd tangential debate going on here.