Thread: AcuņaMania

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Don't remember off the top of my head did Wren force Clark out behind the scenes or did Clark want to take a bigger position in Wash as Assistant GM?
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think we need to be even-handed here. Wren didn't personally conduct the draft either. But he empowered the people who did. Similarly he empowered Johnny Almaraz and his team of international scouts to sign guys like Acuna and Albies. In both cases, he should get some of the blame and credit for what the people he empowered did.

Btw while we are on the topic of being even-handed, I'm fine with saying Wren drove away good people like Roy Clark. But we should also give the current front-office a demerit based upon the fact that Almaraz left after they took over.
    Almarez was here before Wrens ascension to the GM role. Why would he have signed up to a FO he was adversarial with. Its much more likely he left for a promtion as opposed to a regime change. Maybe he was expecting a promotion when Wren was released. Its possible. Its not the same situation as Clark though who was essentially waiting in the parking lot for Wren to drive away.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Don't remember off the top of my head did Wren force Clark out behind the scenes or did Clark want to take a bigger position in Wash as Assistant GM?
    Clark left for a promotion but instantly came back the second Wren was fired.

I'll leave it to the Braves fan to decide what his motives were.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    ex-bravesitis even applies to execs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    ex-bravesitis even applies to execs
    So you are just going to disregard reports from non-Braves sources like Keith Law who said that Wren didn't listen to scouts and pissed them off?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    So you are just going to disregard reports from non-Braves sources like Keith Law who said that Wren didn't listen to scouts and pissed them off?
    I'm sure he was a dick.

But he presided over some incredible results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I'm sure he was a dick.

But he presided over some incredible results.
    Nice when you are given Heyward/Freeman/Kimbrel/Teheran/Medlen/Minor/Prado all at absurdly cheap rates.

But Wren made excellent trades like Upton & EOF.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Nice when you are given Heyward/Freeman/Kimbrel/Teheran/Medlen/Minor/Prado all at absurdly cheap rates.

But Wren made excellent trades like Upton & EOF.
    Coppy was handed Heyward, Upton, Freeman, Gattis, Simmons, Teheran, Wood, Kimbrel at cheap rates.

Results haven't been too good, yet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Coppy was handed Heyward, Upton, Freeman, Gattis, Simmons, Teheran, Wood, Kimbrel at cheap rates.

Results haven't been too good, yet
    For comparative purposes those guys were really expensive under Coppys watch.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Wait I thought this debate was going on in a GDT from Monday?
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I'm sure Wren did all the legwork to sign Acuna.
    LOL did you really just type this?

Do you realize you are starting to sound as dumb as clv haha?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    LOL did you really just type this?

Do you realize you are starting to sound as dumb as clv haha?
    actually thethe makes clv seem like a Rhodes scholar
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    It's funny that the consensus among people who are paid to evaluate farm systems are pretty much in unanimous agreement that the Braves' rebuild has gone very well, yet on this site the consensus seems to be that they are dumb and have clearly achieved poor results from the phenomenal hand they were dealt.

I can't wait until we start winning so I don't have to hear about freaking Frank Wren anymore.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It's funny that the consensus among people who are paid to evaluate farm systems are pretty much in unanimous agreement that the Braves' rebuild has gone very well, yet on this site the consensus seems to be that they are dumb and have clearly achieved poor results from the phenomenal hand they were dealt.

I can't wait until we start winning so I don't have to hear about freaking Frank Wren anymore.
    Reading comprehension....

Intelli-Braves have argued 1 of these 2 points:

1. they are dumb and have clearly achieved poor results from the phenomenal hand they were dealt.

2. They could have had an even stronger system had they not stupidly used resources on "win now" moves that didn't actually win any meaningful games.

I'll let you reconsider the argument intelli-Braves are actually making. Take all the time you need.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

I think that's a bit of a stretch. Theres certainly flawed moves like Andrelton for Newk. Newk has taken longer to develop than the FO expected and who knows how long and patient we'll have to be with him.

The FO since 2015 kept saying 2017 would be the year. Now many have revised from 2018 to 2019 on here because the first line of pitching prospects we acquired at beginning of rebuild: Blair, Wisler, Folty, Jenkins, Fried, Newk have not stepped up and become mainstays in the rotation. Hell if Tehearn keeps struggling that's another piece of the puzzle we potentially have to fill again when most assumed he'd be anchoring our rotation.

Two years ago Indont think anyone thought we'd have to think about acquiring a guy like Verlander because we just sort of thought Wisler wouldn't be AAAA, Blair wouldn't be getting lit up like a Christmas tree, Fried being injured again and moved to pen, and Newk still not figuring out what Control is.

Who knows how long it'll take Ian, Rok, Wright, to all get up here. The assumption is Gohara should be here soon but will he have to take his lumps? are we gonna be patient with him for 3 years like we have with Folty?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (08-23-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I think that's a bit of a stretch. Theres certainly flawed moves like Andrelton for Newk. Newk has taken longer to develop than the FO expected and who knows how long and patient we'll have to be with him.

The FO since 2015 kept saying 2017 would be the year. Now many have revised from 2018 to 2019 on here because the first line of pitching prospects we acquired at beginning of rebuild: Blair, Wisler, Folty, Jenkins, Fried, Newk have not stepped up and become mainstays in the rotation. Hell if Tehearn keeps struggling that's another piece of the puzzle we potentially have to fill again when most assumed he'd be anchoring our rotation.

Two years ago Indont think anyone thought we'd have to think about acquiring a guy like Verlander because we just sort of thought Wisler wouldn't be AAAA, Blair wouldn't be getting lit up like a Christmas tree, Fried being injured again and moved to pen, and Newk still not figuring out what Control is.

Who knows how long it'll take Ian, Rok, Wright, to all get up here. The assumption is Gohara should be here soon but will he have to take his lumps? are we gonna be patient with him for 3 years like we have with Folty?

IMO, the front office never really promised any sort of special season in 2017 and certainly never did much to deliver it. I think they said they wanted a competitive team to open the ball park. How anyone took that is there own business, but I wouldn't take marketing speech as gospel.

I always expected the Braves would have to acquire outside pitching along the way. It just didn't seem likely they could come up with a rotation internally over any sort of short period of time. There just aren't that many great pitching prospects and most of them are not available in trade and drafting them takes awhile.

I think all of the Braves prospects can be expected to struggle to some extent for extended periods for the most part. Whether Gohara struggles like Folty, I don't know. It's certainly possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    IMO, the front office never really promised any sort of special season in 2017 and certainly never did much to deliver it.
    Hart did say early on we would have a "young, dynamic, competitive" team when the stadium opened.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    IMO, the front office never really promised any sort of special season in 2017 and certainly never did much to deliver it. I think they said they wanted a competitive team to open the ball park. How anyone took that is there own business, but I wouldn't take marketing speech as gospel.

I always expected the Braves would have to acquire outside pitching along the way. It just didn't seem likely they could come up with a rotation internally over any sort of short period of time. There just aren't that many great pitching prospects and most of them are not available in trade and drafting them takes awhile.

I think all of the Braves prospects can be expected to struggle to some extent for extended periods for the most part. Whether Gohara struggles like Folty, I don't know. It's certainly possible.
    This defense of the FO by the pozzy-Braves is getting out of hand.

Now you guys are trying to say the goal wasn't to compete by 2017? After everything this team has done to get ready for this special year? Seriously?

How many years are you guys going to hide behind the "they weren't really trying to win yet" excuse? I've heard you guys use it for 3 straight years now.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    If they weren't competing for 2017 New Stadium year then we would have never brought Dansby up last year, wouldn't have signed Dickey and Colon, traded for Phillips, or even Kemp.

If we spent all that money and traded for "stop gaps" then I'm gonna seriously question the FO. I'm usually not someone that harps on service time like others here but if the real goal was to compete in 2019 why did we rush Dansby to the bigs 2.5 years early?
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    If they weren't competing for 2017 New Stadium year then we would have never brought Dansby up last year, wouldn't have signed Dickey and Colon, traded for Phillips, or even Kemp.

If we spent all that money and traded for "stop gaps" then I'm gonna seriously question the FO. I'm usually not someone that harps on service time like others here but if the real goal was to compete in 2019 why did we rush Dansby to the bigs 2.5 years early?
    There is also an issue having to do with philosophical consistency in the front office. I'll give two examples, but there are others.

1) In recent years, the front office has emphasized the prohibitive costs of acquiring top of the rotation talent and therefore the need to invest heavily in pitching to grow our own. In particular, I remember a series of interviews given around the time we acquired Touki. I actually agree with this view. And yet the front office clearly has made efforts to trade for guys like Sale, Quintana and Archer or sign free agents like Lester. There is an inconsistency here, unless you believe they were just doing due diligence in all of those instances.

2) Repeatedly, we've heard the front office say that young players "tell" them when they are ready for promotion. And yet we know the promotion of Swanson came out of a shoot the breeze session the senior Johns had with Coppy.

"I am your retribution."