Thread: Around the Minors

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

Around the Minors

Thought we could have a thread for posting random Minor League news in - similar to the around the Majors thread..... I run into random minor league articles and news and want to post them, but not make a new thread for each one.

If this is already collecting in a different place, my bad!

Toolshed: Top Braves pick shows Wright stuff
    https://www.milb.com/milb/news/atlan...48/t-185364810

Anderson shines in short start
    https://www.milb.com/milb/news/ian-a...80/t-185364810

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Wow. Didn't realize Ian hasn't given up a HR all year. That's darn impressive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Wow. Didn't realize Ian hasn't given up a HR all year. That's darn impressive.
    People got way to caught up with the 'BPA' argument.

There is not a definitive list of BPA's for a specific pick. There is a lot of misinformation around draft time so that teams hide who they really think are the best players. Anderson has debuted as well as any draft pick in the last 3 years and continued that impressive performance into Rome. He is a legit #2 pitcher prospect with the potential for more.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    alright Thethe.. I have to know..

you think Wentz might be the best pitching prospect in the minors.. and I know you think Anderson was BPA when drafted..

so do you now think Wentz has just pitched better than Anderson and passed him up in rankings.. or do you think Wentz was BPA instead of Anderson.

Also, would you rank Wentz over Gohard,Allard, Soroka and Anderson
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post

you think Wentz might be the best pitching prospect in the minors.. and I know you think Anderson was BPA when drafted..

so do you now think Wentz has just pitched better than Anderson and passed him up in rankings.. or do you think Wentz was BPA instead of Anderson.

I have Allard/Gohara/Touki/Wright/Soroka/Anderson/Wentz/Wilson/Fried

I would say the Braves probably have 7-9 of the top 50 pitching prospects in baseball and if you cut it at Wentz and 7 of the top 30.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I have Allard/Gohara/Touki/Wright/Soroka/Anderson/Wentz/Wilson/Fried

I would say the Braves probably have 7-9 of the top 50 pitching prospects in baseball and if you cut it at Wentz and 7 of the top 30.
    Soroka 5th best... I have to disagree.

Now rank them with JT/Newk/Folty in the mix...
    Coppy

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post

Anderson a lot more projection left in him than Wentz, imo. He already throws harder and gets a lot more ground outs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugfan View Post
    Anderson a lot more projection left in him than Wentz, imo. He already throws harder and gets a lot more ground outs.
    I like Wentz's upside better. 6-5 from the left side with nasty breaking stuff, good control, and the ability to keep the ball in the park.

Anderson might not have as much projection as his frame would have you believe. A lot of guys Anderson's age and his size have pretty messed up mechanics. Straightening these out go a long way. That's not really the case with Anderson. His delivery is pretty simple. Might lead to not quite as much development as you might see from others his age and his size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I like Wentz's upside better. 6-5 from the left side with nasty breaking stuff, good control, and the ability to keep the ball in the park.

Anderson might not have as much projection as his frame would have you believe. A lot of guys Anderson's age and his size have pretty messed up mechanics. Straightening these out go a long way. That's not really the case with Anderson. His delivery is pretty simple. Might lead to not quite as much development as you might see from others his age and his size.
    What projection is needed with him? Reports on his stuff have him sitting low to mid 90s with ability to reach back for hugh 90s. Not to mention plus movement.

I'm confused by thus underratING by fans of Anderson. He is an elite pitching prospect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What projection is needed with him? Reports on his stuff have him sitting low to mid 90s with ability to reach back for hugh 90s. Not to mention plus movement.

I'm confused by thus underratING by fans of Anderson. He is an elite pitching prospect.
    I think Anderson has a very good chance to be a number 3 starter and if he can solve his control issues I think he has a ceiling of a Julio Teheran. I just think Wentz has a chance of being even better.

I also think people dream of Anderson adding 3 MPH to his fastball, having it sit at 95, and becoming a dominant ace. I don't see that happening. Some interpret that as being down on him. I view it as being realistic about him.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I think Anderson has a very good chance to be a number 3 starter and if he can solve his control issues I think he has a ceiling of a Julio Teheran. I just think Wentz has a chance of being even better.

I also think people dream of Anderson adding 3 MPH to his fastball, having it sit at 95, and becoming a dominant ace. I don't see that happening. Some interpret that as being down on him. I view it as being realistic about him.
    I don't think either will be more than a number 3 starter but I prefer Anderson. Wentz is taller but doesn't throw as hard as Anderson. I've heard Wentz only throws 90-91

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    If this is for other teams.

Anderson Ezpinosa needs TJ, guess Boston won that deal.