Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ozzie debut tonight

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    I don't believe there is any difference.
    Or does it just mean we lose a year of control vs if we waited until opening day next year?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    All this moves are making me think that more moves are coming very soon. My thoughts are that Snitker will get fired in the next few days and Washington will take over.
    Snitker has been too good of a soldier for the Braves to fire him. What I imagine will eventually happen is he will be transistioned to a different role and likely this or next offseason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Snitker has been too good of a soldier for the Braves to fire him. What I imagine will eventually happen is he will be transistioned to a different role and likely this or next offseason.
    I agree. He'll be GM next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Everyone going crazy over the service time implications of this does realize that under the CBA, teams aren't supposed to consider service time when deciding when to promote players to the majors. Granted, a lot of teams do it anyway but I'm not going to criticize the Braves for dealing fairly with their players.

Also, I think the Braves are wanting Ozzie to try to get some of his rookie struggles out of the way now and hopefully be better off for it next season.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-01-2017), Super (08-02-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk10 View Post
    Or does it just mean we lose a year of control vs if we waited until opening day next year?
    We don't lose any control in calling him up now vs. Opening Day next year. We do, however, lose an extra year in calling him up now vs. calling him up a couple weeks after Opening Day next year.

So:
    - Call him up anytime between now and 2 weeks into next season: lose a year of control
    - Call him up after 2 weeks into next season: don't lose a year of control

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Not to be forgotten, kudos to the owners for instituting a program that punishes talent and fans alike. Any time your system incentives young exciting players from not playing in your league you have to do it.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    We don't lose any control in calling him up now vs. Opening Day next year. We do, however, lose an extra year in calling him up now vs. calling him up a couple weeks after Opening Day next year.

So:
    - Call him up anytime between now and 2 weeks into next season: lose a year of control
    - Call him up after 2 weeks into next season: don't lose a year of control
    Thanks. Was just reading on super two as well to try and understand it all.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Guess we release phillips or something?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    What's funny is BP has been one of our most consistent hitters the last few weeks.

I'd put Camargo at third Albies at short and BP at 2nd. What has Albies done to deserve never getting a sniff at short anymore since Dansby arrived?
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk10 View Post
    How does this affect his service time and super two for next year or would it have helped his service time to wait until September call ups? Or just better (service time wise) to wait till next year? Never fully understood all this
    It's similar to his making the opening day roster except that it would be harder right get the extra y at back.

I don't think it makes much difference as far as super two goes over his making team out of spring training.

So If he wasn't going to be held down for two weeks at start of next season probably doesn't matter a whole lot. And almost assuredly the braves wouldn't have. But I think they assume risk of his being injured while on active roster for service time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Why the hell would you play Brandon Phillips at 3b? What utility is that to the team?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Just means they were close on something or they plan to DFA him if no one puts in a claim IMO. Dat Dude's days are numbered and he will be a Brave for less than two more weeks. Once he's off the roster, Dansby will be back up and at SS and Camargo will become the utility guy.

And no, I honestly don't have any problems with this personally. We all understand the service-time concerns, but I'm so sick of hearing about them I could puke. Now that Dansby was sent back down, people are screaming because he was. It's time to get them both up here and find out what we've got. I'm still a little surprised they didn't open SunTrust Park together, and if Dat Dude wouldn't have been so cheap (and a hometown boy) I still think that was probably the plan.

Holding Acuna down through the end of the season makes plenty of sense since it's impossible not to say he simply hasn't had enough ABs, and they have so much money tied up in Kemp/Markakis - but if the Phillies sweep shows that they're throwing in the towel, it's time to start getting some guys' feet wet, especially when it doesn't cost much salary-wise.
    so if the FO consistently does something dumb should we refrain from pointing it out

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    This makes no sense.
    When Phillips goes through wavers does the team have to pick up the 14 million or just the 1 million the Braves play?

I don't get why you do this now.

Shut down Kemp and let SRod and Micah J play LF. Let Comargo play 3B. Let Ozzie play SS. Adams can play on occasion. I don't get why we move on from the FF 3B move now?

Probably afraid of playing Ozzie at SS and then answering a bunch of Swanson questions.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Here's the official lineup for tonight:

1. Ender Inciarte (L) CF
    2. Danny Santana (S) 3B
    3. Freddie Freeman (L) 1B
    4. Matt Adams (L) LF
    5. Tyler Flowers (R) C
    6. Nick Markakis (L) RF
    7. Ozzie Albies (S) 2B
    8. Johan Camargo (S) SS
    9. Lucas Sims (R) P
    I am so confused by this lineup. Is this really that much better of a defensive alignment than Freddie at 3rd, Adams at 1st and Santana in LF?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-01-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Not to be forgotten, kudos to the owners for instituting a program that punishes talent and fans alike. Any time your system incentives young exciting players from not playing in your league you have to do it.
    I mean what system won't reward keeping young players down longer at some point.

They already have rule 5 drafft in place. Somewhere there has the be an inflection point.

I think the service time optimization is less important than it's made out to be, but no question the optimal thing to do would have been to sit Albies 11 days or possible even to June depending on what kind of production you were getting or could expect to get.

Is it a huge deal? Ultimately Talking about one season which may or may not be bought out and which may or may not have huge value above arbitration value.

Someone usually puts 10 million dollar value on it and then invites to multiply that by four or five for each mishandling but some will fail, some will be traded, some will have the contract bought out, some will be replaced internally.

I'd rather they kept him down 11 days.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (08-01-2017)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    What's funny is BP has been one of our most consistent hitters the last few weeks.

I'd put Camargo at third Albies at short and BP at 2nd. What has Albies done to deserve never getting a sniff at short anymore since Dansby arrived?
    I was just fixing to write something similar to this...why punish Phillips who hasn't been stinking it up, play Ozzie at SS and bench someone who has been stinking up the joint

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveAKAslick View Post
    I was just fixing to write something similar to this...why punish Phillips who hasn't been stinking it up, play Ozzie at SS and bench someone who has been stinking up the joint
    I like the Carmago, Albies, Phillips idea but my guess is they will want to see Ozzie at 2b since they seem to prefer Swanson/Camargo there.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Why the hell would you play Brandon Phillips at 3b? What utility is that to the team?
    Brandon Phillips has never played 3B in any regular season game in either the minors or majors (and probably not in the pre-season either) and I doubt he'll start playing there now.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Yeah, this is just weird.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Brandon Phillips has never played 3B in any regular season game in either the minors or majors (and probably not in the pre-season either) and I doubt he'll start playing there now.
    I sure wouldn't think so. But they did move Freddie Freeman to 3b which was dumber.