Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: GDT: 8/1/'17 - Braves (Sims) v. Dodgers (Maeda), ALBIES + SIMS DEBUTS! 7:35PM

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Braves aiming for another high draft pick. Keep it up guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    2018 draft is gonna be awesome though. Much much better than 2017.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Anyone going to analyze the statcast data on Sims?

I was wondering how straight the fastball was. That was his big issue in the scouting things I read.

Sounds like he didn't have his good Curve tonight. Pretty solid debut though.

If he can just be a 5th starter that is valuable for us. One less Vet we have to overspend on. Maybe buy another year of control on Gohara/Allard/Soroka/Wright.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    No one will remember if we win 72 or 78 games this year. They "should" get some young guys experience and get a good draft pick. Of all the trades we have made, MOST of this rebuild hinges on players we have drafted (or International signings). Dansby should be back up soon, and SRod should be sitting ALOT. I like him...he is a great player, but just because you "can" come back early from a major injury doesn't mean you should.

They need to put about six players on waivers and maybe they can move a couple. This is really all about 2018 at this point. The scariest thing to me now, is since the team will most likely finish poorly and coming into next season, they will want excitement. You can almost double down on the fact Coppy could make a foolish over pay type trade to sell tickets. Hopefully he puts his efforts into moving guys like Kemp, Nick and JJ. That would probably help the team more than giving up a boatload of prospects for a #2 or #3. The Garcia trade worked well, and that's the type of guy he needs to be looking for. We have another potential 3-5 guys that could be ready in the next year alone. It's really pointless to give up prospects for pitching at this point. Sims, Newk, Gohora, Fried (who is turning the corner in his last three starts) will all be on the 40
    man. Medlen and Albers should be in the mix, and guys like Touki (who has progressed), Wright and even Soroka and Allard should be knocking on the door late 2018.

That's a lot of guys for 2-3 spots max.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Encouraged to see 94 from Sims in the 6th (I think it was the 6th). At 93-94 he can get by with the straight heater, but he has to stay VERY mixed on his pitches. The offspeed stuff didn't look bad at all and liked most everything as average or flashing a little better than at its peak until that curve started getting away from him up high.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    SRod is fckn trash...

Nice defensive replacement he was for the fckn 6th...cost Adams an AB in the 9th vs Jansen.
    He's back early from a car crash injury to his shoulder that was supposed to keep him out the entire year. Give the guy a break.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Eh, that's what they said about 2017 in comparison with 2016. Unless 2016 was historically bad (it wasn't great at the top, I'll give you that) and 2018 will be historically great, then I doubt that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Anyone going to analyze the statcast data on Sims?

I was wondering how straight the fastball was. That was his big issue in the scouting things I read.

Sounds like he didn't have his good Curve tonight. Pretty solid debut though.

If he can just be a 5th starter that is valuable for us. One less Vet we have to overspend on. Maybe buy another year of control on Gohara/Allard/Soroka/Wright.
    My main takeway is that Sims is not afraid to throw his changeup even though its not a plus (barely avearge) pitch. Sometimes I think the willingness to throw it goes a long way.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I was really surprised to see so much meh regarding Sims, I thought he actually looked pretty durned good, and not as a potential TOR or anything like that - but if he can eat up innings and pitch at the back of the rotation as a starter that has a lot of value.

I loved seeing an effective change, a pretty good curve and he mixed them well, better control than I had feared and he threw a lot of first pitch strikes. Keep in mind that's a VERY good offensive team and a VERY terrible defense playing behind him. I thought he looked fine and if he is what we saw yesterday he's got three at least average pitches.

Good debut, now lets see if he can build on it and if we can put a better defense behind him for the next start.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

Super (08-02-2017), Tapate50 (08-02-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I'll also add for a kid making his first start he looked pretty unflappable. A couple of bad plays from Santana and Flowers really didn't rattle him.

I was impressed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'm all for sucking and letting the young guys learn. The 2018 draft is loaded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    No one will remember if we win 72 or 78 games this year.

Oh we will never hear the end of it if the Braves win 78 games this year. Captain Ego would never let that go.

It’s over."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (08-02-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Eh, that's what they said about 2017 in comparison with 2016. Unless 2016 was historically bad (it wasn't great at the top, I'll give you that) and 2018 will be historically great, then I doubt that.

Fair enough. I thought the 2017 draft was complete ****. Not even that high on Wright (but would be very happy to be wrong). Is personally prefer high school draft picks in the early rounds and 2018 is loaded with good HS pitchers. Georgia is particularly loaded with HS talent.

It’s over."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I'll also add for a kid making his first start he looked pretty unflappable. A couple of bad plays from Santana and Flowers really didn't rattle him.

I was impressed.
    Seconded. No one's getting the cart before the horse here, but he looked like he deserved a shot - unlike several guys recently. JMO, but it was refreshing to see someone who was willing to throw strikes. If they hit them, so be it. Can't imagine anyone considers him a future #2/#3 type, but if he can keep mixing his pitches he obviously has the stuff (and makeup) to be a solid back of the rotation guy.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Fair enough. I thought the 2017 draft was complete ****. Not even that high on Wright (but would be very happy to be wrong). Is personally prefer high school draft picks in the early rounds and 2018 is loaded with good HS pitchers. Georgia is particularly loaded with HS talent.
    All I'm saying is that this seems to be what they say every year at this time. 'Next year will be even better.' More than likely, that's because they're still projecting these guys and looking more at ceiling, but inevitably come draft time, some guys haven't really progressed like hoped and it's not the historically great year people thought it would be.

2017 was a good draft year at the top. I think it may not seem that way because of the lack of big-time power hitters who are relatively safe, but it was a very good draft. But it wasn't as good as once hoped with guys like Mark Vientos and JJ Schwartz dropping off, and a guy like Jordon Adell not entirely reaching where some thought he could get to.