Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minor League FINAL 8/3 ... Hellenger's finest outing?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    When do we begin to worry about Allard?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I really wish the Ks didn't have this significant of a drop for Allard this year.

I think it's a good sign that he is still having success at AA despite a low k rate. I bet if he repeats AA next year his k rate would spike.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

rico43 (08-04-2017)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    No problem at all rico. You are a busy guy, so I thought I would pinch-hit. I figured you would be around later to do all the linking and stuff. Hope the kitten is okay.
    Getting his shots. He's cool. On the other hand, my leg, which is his favorite climbing place right now ...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    When do we begin to worry about Allard?
    When he isn't holding his own as a 19-year old in AA.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Hawk (08-04-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Why would anyone worry about Allard?

Again - minor leagues are not about accumulating the best stats for pitchers. Its about tinkering with things and developing pitches.

Do we know how many of his plus plus curveballs he is throwing? Do we know if the Braves have instructed him to pitch inside more than he would in a normal situation?

Allard doesn't need to prove he can get minor league hitters out anymore. Its all about refining his game and completing 'finishing school'.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post

Again - minor leagues are not about accumulating the best stats for pitchers. Its about tinkering with things and developing pitches.

Do we know how many of his plus plus curveballs he is throwing? Do we know if the Braves have instructed him to pitch inside more than he would in a normal situation?

Allard doesn't need to prove he can get minor league hitters out anymore. Its all about refining his game and completing 'finishing school'.
    keep telling yourself that. it might be true.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    nice night for pache.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Ivermectin Man

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Allard:
    Looking at a kid coming off back surgery out of the draft. They babied him until mid season and then he performed well. So, they skipped him a level. The difference with him and Soroka, is he hadn't logged NEAR the innings as Soroka. I was fine with skipping Soroka, but Allard needed to begin in high A. This is the most innings BY far Allard has pitched. Let's not forget he's just 19. He should be fine. They should probably shut him down a little early and have him start in AA again next year. If he does well, he could still be in AAA soon enough. They really need to start staggering these prospects better anyway, so we can get a long enough look at them.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-04-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (08-04-2017), striker42 (08-04-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post

Have you ever had even a tiny bit of concern about one Braves prospect?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-04-2017), sturg33 (08-04-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Have you ever had even a tiny bit of concern about one Braves prospect?

Probably not too often.

Still, I don't think a dip in K rate for a 19 year jetting up to AA is really all that surprising.

Maybe he's not an Ace, probably he isn't an Ace, but players do have ups and downs as competition changes. And Allard probably does need to improve his pitches and sequencing to strike out more talented players. He either has the ability to make that adjustment or he doesn't, but its not necessarily reasonable to expect him to advance with no hiccups.

the bigger picture is that he's been a bit above average at AA as a young player so that's a building block.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I would definitely start Allard back in AA next year. Frankly, I would probably start Soroka there again as well. My Mississippi rotation to start next year would be Soroka, Allard, Fried, Wright, and Touki. I would start Sanchez back in Florida with Anderson, Wentz, Wilson, and Rangel. I'd be prepared to move Soroka, Wright, and possibly Fried up pretty quickly. Let Allard show he is clearly comfortable and consistently performing well in AA before moving him to Gwinnett.

Then have Sanchez, Wentz, Anderson, and Wilson prepared to fill in behind them if they are pitching well in Florida.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    I would imagine they have him working on refining other pitches and other nuanced activities rather than just throwing what he's good at right now.

I have no clue though.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Allard may not be a good major league pitcher for another 3 or 4 or 5 years. If he's up any time in the next 1-1.5 years, he's going to have major struggles, as most young pitchers do. Gerrit Cole was a stud in 2015 at 24 and has struggled a bit since. Glasnow was a hyped and dominant prospect and has struggled. Luis Severino got hype, did nothing for two years in the MLB, before becoming a beast this year. These guys all have different development curves and almost all young pitchers, regardless of hype or age or minor league dominance, struggle a great deal at some points. Patience is all I can say.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Hawk (08-04-2017), jpx7 (08-04-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (08-04-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I know it's the GCL, but Jeffrey Ramos is really starting to look like a prospect to follow at least.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Probably not too often.

Still, I don't think a dip in K rate for a 19 year jetting up to AA is really all that surprising.

Maybe he's not an Ace, probably he isn't an Ace, but players do have ups and downs as competition changes. And Allard probably does need to improve his pitches and sequencing to strike out more talented players. He either has the ability to make that adjustment or he doesn't, but its not necessarily reasonable to expect him to advance with no hiccups.

the bigger picture is that he's been a bit above average at AA as a young player so that's a building block.
    I think the word "Ace" is thrown around too much...there's 32 #1 pitchers in MLB and maybe 10-15 true aces, it's hard to find a true ACE...the Brave's have plenty enough pitchers that you could possibly say 1 of them will end up as an ace...still tough, that's why I wasn't really on board with Gray...he's a #1 for sure but he isn't an ACE, we've got plenty of potential Sonny Grays

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    When he isn't holding his own as a 19-year old in AA.
    Guess it depends on how you define "holding [one's] own", but his low K-rate and the extent he's been hittable are, at the very least, not encouraging signs (even if likewise not overly discouraging, given his age).

I agree with others in this thread that he should repeat AA.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."