Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Call Up Max Fried, Board has Anuerysm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Do fans actually think that the management of a billion-dollar organization is playing things without a plan.

I understand if people disagree with the direction but this notion that the front office does not have a plan or a sense of the future is absurd

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (08-05-2017), TomahawkCult (08-05-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I don't know if it sits with some kind of master plan, but the player development staff sees these guys daily and probably have some ideas about what Fried can do. Probably fits in the bullpen for a bit, builds up some arm strength, and heads back to a starters' role. Only thing that could go wrong in that scenario is that Snitker will start over-using him and putting him into high leverage situations right off the bat. Curious to see how he does. He certainly looked great in spring training and most of the scouting oriented sites have had good things to say about him this year even with the underperformance.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-05-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Do fans actually think that the management of a billion-dollar organization is playing things without a plan.

I understand if people disagree with the direction but this notion that the front office does not have a plan or a sense of the future is absurd
    Its called strategic planning thethe. There is inherent danger to continually altering the plan. Now I understand that errors can be factored into whatever equation the Braves are using, but even the most posi fan can question what's been going on. And no. That's not absurd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Its called strategic planning thethe. There is inherent danger to continually altering the plan. Now I understand that errors can be factored into whatever equation the Braves are using, but even the most posi fan can question what's been going on. And no. That's not absurd.
    I understand your point but your assumption is that the plan was altered how do we even know if that's true

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    This is disappointing. Had hoped to see Fried add 50 or so IP to his total last year so that he could be positioned for a full work load next year. I guess they could achieve this by having him pitch in the Caribbean this Fall / Winter, but it seems more likely they are viewing Fried as a RP now. I think he could succeed in that role, but wasn't ready to flip the switch just yet.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Hawk (08-05-2017), jpx7 (08-05-2017), Preacher (08-05-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Agreed. You have 25 players on the field and they either want to contend or see that they are part of a long-term plan. Put those guys on a constant emotional yo-yo and it doesn't create stability in the long or short terms. Same goes for fans to some extent.

But think of how Twins' players must feel. They obtain Jaime Garcia and the message is "we're going for it" and only a week later, he's traded again and "we're not." Let-down up here in the Twin Cities was palpable even though the Twins should have recognized they are at least a year or two away from being serious playoff contenders.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Tell me how what Coppy has said in regards to how Swanson was brought up is part of a plan, or how many of the comments Hart has made recently about calling up players so they can "see what they have" fit into a plan of player development. Either they only have part of plan (player A is going to AAA and then going to the majors in July, and they do it no matter how they perform), or they don't really have a set plan in that regard, because their promotions and moves are all over the freaking place.

And the trust the FO knows best because they see the players everyday refrain is not a legit answer, as it has already been proven a lie with the Swanson move.

I'm happy with what the FO has done with drafting and player acquisition, and the majority of the moves building the team have been very good. But our promotions with players when they have not shown they are ready to be promoted are just bizarre and lack any sort of consistency or logic. It's hard to see any sort of plan there, particularly with the commentary the FO is making regarding the moves.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I understand your point but your assumption is that the plan was altered how do we even know if that's true
    I've never assumed anything with this FO. EVER! IMHO, the vision seemed clear early to me. And I embrace most of it because my prospect hounding is at an all time high. But several moves have been head scratchers. I think that's fair to say.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-05-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Given they seem to be pulling things out of a hat to make decisions these days, I don't think even the FO can predict their moves. There definitely seems to be zero set plans with developing the youngsters, and that is really worrying. "Why not?" is not what I want to here for the reasoning for most of the player development decisions we make, and it seems to be a common refrain lately.
    Its like they have a kid running this stuff, everything seems impatient and rushed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts

see coppy's account of how the Swanson call up was decided

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Tell me how what Coppy has said in regards to how Swanson was brought up is part of a plan, or how many of the comments Hart has made recently about calling up players so they can "see what they have" fit into a plan of player development. Either they only have part of plan (player A is going to AAA and then going to the majors in July, and they do it now matter how they perform), or they don't really have a set plan in that regard, because their promotions and moves are all over the freaking place.

And trust the FO knows best because they see the players everyday refrain is not a legit answer, as it has already been proven a lie with the Swanson move.

I'm happy with what the FO has done with drafting and player acquisition, and the majority of the moves building the team have been very good. But our promotions with players when they have not shown they are ready to be promoted are just bizarre and lack any sort of consistency or logic. It's hard to see any sort of plan there, particularly with the commentary the FO is making regarding the moves.
    My post was not intended as a trust the front office beam it's simply refuting the fact that people believe there is no plan.

What they really should be saying is they disagree with the plan there's a big difference there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Its like they have a kid running this stuff, everything seems impatient and rushed.
    a kid with adhd who doesn't like taking his meds

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    It would be really interesting to listen in on the discussions they have about these guys when making decisions. I get that we in Boardland are puzzled by these moves, but I suspect if we could listen in it would probably make more sense to us. We may still disagree, but I suspect that the coaches who work with them every day in a minor league camp know some things about them we don't.

I was thinking about the Hart interview during the game the other night. He said they needed to see what they have in some of these young guys and that that would happen for the rest of this year. This is actually quite consistent with that statement. You can stick with a plan... but part of that plan needs to test these guys... see how they perform to provide more information to use in determining their future role. If Max proves he can get major league hitters out, that will help dictate his future.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-05-2017)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    My post was not intended as a trust the front office beam it's simply refuting the fact that people believe there is no plan.

What they really should be saying is they disagree with the plan there's a big difference there
    What's the plan though?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    a kid with adhd who doesn't like taking his meds
    He could give them to me.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-05-2017), The Chosen One (08-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    It would be really interesting to listen in on the discussions they have about these guys when making decisions. I get that we in Boardland are puzzled by these moves, but I suspect if we could listen in it would probably make more sense to us. We may still disagree, but I suspect that the coaches who work with them every day in a minor league camp know some things about them we don't.

I was thinking about the Hart interview during the game the other night. He said they needed to see what they have in some of these young guys and that that would happen for the rest of this year. This is actually quite consistent with that statement. You can stick with a plan... but part of that plan needs to test these guys... see how they perform to provide more information to use in determining their future role. If Max proves he can get major league hitters out, that will help dictate his future.
    sounds like Hart is into small samples...Fried will probably get 15 innings in the majors

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    sounds like Hart is into small samples...Fried will probably get 15 innings in the majors
    I suspect there will be a lot more evaluation going on than just the numbers from those 15 innings.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    The cardinals regularly promote prospects to bullpen roles in the second half as a transition to starting.

No one ever said they didn't have a plan.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (08-05-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Funny thing about this though - I bet there's not a single poster here who's been sitting in on the meetings when "the plan" has been discussed, so it's even funnier when they say they're "altering the plan".
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

TomahawkCult (08-05-2017)